AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1194 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth /forum/post/15016994

It's more than this, it demuxes the content ready for MP4BOX to remux into mp4. This demuxing code needs to be written from scratch on the Mac, none of the current tools do this well enough for mp4box to remux. It's on my todo list after completing IRBlaster support.

One of the current goals is to have the Mac solution do the same demux, then launch mp4box to remux, followed my a second remux via ffmpeg. This will bring AAC based /mp4 suport to the mac without transcoding. It offers a workable 720p AAC based solution based on Michaels procedure above, automatically (if required). It also rules out the use of any windows software completely.

- Steve

I think we can all get behind that.

Thanks for the education and the updates...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Interesting project, I'd pay to see it all work out, keep up the good work!

Sidenote: Is it still possible to buy VisualHub anywhere, since the developer closed up shop?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
An update on how the work is going:

I used HDPVRCapture to record ugly betty on ABC tonight, 1280x720x60fps AAC, 2 channel encoded audio.

I demuxed the audio and video using a custom app, remuxed the payload without transcoding into an mp4 using MP4box and ffmpeg, this took around 60 seconds beginning to end.

The file plays happily inside quicktime and audio and video remain in perfect sync after 30 mins.

This was using software completely on the Mac, nothing from windows.

- Steve

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth /forum/post/15020854

I used HDPVRCapture to record ugly betty on ABC tonight, 1280x720x60fps AAC, 2 channel encoded audio.

I demuxed the audio and video using a custom app, remuxed the payload without transcoding into an mp4 using MP4box and ffmpeg, this took around 60 seconds beginning to end.

The file plays happily inside quicktime and audio and video remain in perfect sync after 30 mins.

- Steve

[cartman] Sweeeeet. [/cartman]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just picked up a HD PVR and I am having a lot of problems with playback in Osx..

I used the TS>MP4 converter and tryed to playback the file in osx it was very choppy with VLC/Plex/Quicktime..

Am I missing something.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to convert them to a workable 1080i ACS formatt..

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoth /forum/post/15020854

- Steve

Sounds great!

a) was this software you mention all freeware (not referring to the stuff you're writing per this thread, but rather the "custom app" you're referring to), and will be possible to assemble into an Action, perhaps, for drag-and-drop conversions vs. complex multi-step procedures?

b) Will the resulting files play on AppleTV?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani /forum/post/15025873

a) was this software you mention all freeware (not referring to the stuff you're writing per this thread, but rather the "custom app" you're referring to), and will be possible to assemble into an Action, perhaps, for drag-and-drop conversions vs. complex multi-step procedures?

Mp4Box and ffmpeg are used in the process, along with some custom code required during demuxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani /forum/post/15025873

b) Will the resulting files play on AppleTV?

Untested as yet. I'd need to patch my AppleTV, or put up a small selection of clips for you to test. I suspect both would be useful.

- Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
Since it appears that MPEG Streamclip can handle editing MPEG4, I would say that you can count me in as a potential customer. Basically, as soon as there is legitimate Mac support (from either Elgato or someone else) I had planned on getting off the sideline and picking up an HDPVR.

My current setup is "HD Ready", as I am using an EyeTV250, connected to a dedicated DirecTV HD Receiver. At this stage, I'm obviously recording everything in SD, but at least I can record in the right aspect ratio - as I primarily record HD channels - which are downconverted to 480i before being sent to the EyeTV250 for conversion.

While obviously just switching out the EyeTV250 with the HDPVR will result in immediate benefit in picture quality, my wish list includes two additional items:

1. Support for DD5.1

2. Ability to play the files through a stock AppleTV with as little conversion as possible

Thanks for your efforts - I'm really looking forward to your results.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani /forum/post/15020438

Sidenote: Is it still possible to buy VisualHub anywhere, since the developer closed up shop?

Nope, but I have a copy if you'd like one.

·
Registered
915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions /forum/post/15027529

My current setup is "HD Ready", as I am using an EyeTV250, connected to a dedicated DirecTV HD Receiver. At this stage, I'm obviously recording everything in SD, but at least I can record in the right aspect ratio - as I primarily record HD channels - which are downconverted to 480i before being sent to the EyeTV250 for conversion.

My understanding is that the EyeTV250 outputs in MPEG-2; is that correct?

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX /forum/post/15028771

My understanding is that the EyeTV250 outputs in MPEG-2; is that correct?

Yes it does. My current workflow is to Edit the recording using EyeTV's built-in editor, then convert using the Turbo264. The Turbo264 isn't the greatest, but it serves the purpose of doing the conversion without tying up my computer. For TV shows, the quality is adequate.

If I'm going for the absolute best quality, I'll actually not use the Turbo264 (it's a little soft, for some strange reason), but use VisualHub - which always comes out better. But that means converting overnight - not because it takes too long but because it ties up the uP of my 24" iMac - which is in use virtually 100% of daylight hours by someone in the family.

I'm looking forward to having recordings in MPEG4 to start with, which in theory should mean no transcoding step for my AppleTV. However, that's going to depend on the file coming off the HDPVR being compatible with AppleTV - which may not be the case.

·
Registered
915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions /forum/post/15032415

Yes it does. My current workflow is to Edit the recording using EyeTV's built-in editor, then convert using the Turbo264. The Turbo264 isn't the greatest, but it serves the purpose of doing the conversion without tying up my computer. For TV shows, the quality is adequate.

Turbo.264 works well in conjunction with MPEG Streamclip for editing MPEG-2 then exporting as H.264 in standard definition, of course.

If I'm going for the absolute best quality, I'll actually not use the Turbo264 (it's a little soft, for some strange reason), but use VisualHub - which always comes out better. But that means converting overnight - not because it takes too long but because it ties up the uP of my 24" iMac - which is in use virtually 100% of daylight hours by someone in the family.

I was gifted a "broken" Mac Mini, which I was able to get working and use almost exclusively for transcoding purposes; either VisualHub or the new beta HandBrake 0.9.3 which will accept .TS HD-PVR output also.

I'm looking forward to having recordings in MPEG4 to start with, which in theory should mean no transcoding step for my AppleTV. However, that's going to depend on the file coming off the HDPVR being compatible with AppleTV - which may not be the case.

My experience is that the output of the HD-PVR, even when converted to MP4 will not play adequately on the AppleTV directly; either because of its use of CABAC or being 59.94fps or both.

However both VisualHub and HandBrake 0.9.3 will transcode to an AppleTV compliant H.264, which also can be edited with MPEG Streamclip.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX /forum/post/15033912

My experience is that the output of the HD-PVR, even when converted to MP4 will not play adequately on the AppleTV directly; either because of its use of CABAC or being 59.94fps or both.

However both VisualHub and HandBrake 0.9.3 will transcode to an AppleTV compliant H.264, which also can be edited with MPEG Streamclip.

That looks to be the case. The 30 minute recording of Ugly Betty that I described earlier in the thread will not play on AppleTV, but it does play happily in Frontrow (and VLC and plex).

I think we're going to need a matrix of what's supported and what isn't. I'll put one of these together. It will show 'recorded file type' (with codec combinations) vs 'application support'.

Before then, this is my experience so far:

1. Any HDPVRCapture recording plays in VLC or Plex.

2. When you recording from the HDPVR and your target application is Frontrow, then the HDPVRCapture app will be capable of capturing and converting the native .ts file into a playable .mp4 inside quicktime/itunes/frontrow, assuming that the capture resolution is 720p and AAC 2 Channel encoding is used (not spdif). Most likely, this will also be editable by any quicktime aware app (final cut etc). After the recording was complete, the automatic conversion process took 60 seconds for me.

A host of other options also work if your prepared to transcode the content, I'm trying to avoid this where possible.

- Steve

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I've added support for the IR Blaster hardware, it's working well for me (other than one small startup bug).

Once this is fixed I'm hoping to post a demo of the HDPVRCapture v1.0.0 sometime over the next couple of days. (It's currently a command line app, so it may not be suitable for everyone).

- Steve

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier /forum/post/15037510

Thanks for the update, Steve. Are you planning to keep going after 5.1 audio support?

The mp4 spec (until recently) didn't allow AC3 as a valid audio format. Assuming you could get AC3 inside an MP4 it's not clear what Quicktime would do with it.

A better approach might be to transcode the audio into AAC 5.1 which (apparently) the AppleTV can handle, and quicktime. More investigation is required.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
An update on where I am: Here's the current command line usage. Unless I have new bugs then all of these features are working now:

HDPVRCapture v0.9.7 (Nov 10 2008 @ 00:09:11)

Copyright 2008, Steven Toth (url removed)

Usage: HDPVRCapture [-d] [-o outfile] [-t time (hh:mm:ss)] [-a AAC|AC3] [-b bitrate]

[-p peak_bitrate] [-s serial#] [-A audiomuxinput] [-V audiomuxinput] [-B bitrate_mode]

[-G GOP mode] [-l enablelights] [-z] [-m] [-Y] [-Z ] [-f] [-p

-a encode via RCA jacks AAC or AC3 2 channel format (default AAC)

-A RCA or SPDIF (default RCA)

-b capture bitrate in bps, Eg. 7500000 (default 5500000)

-B CBR or AVG (default AVG)

-f Overwrite the output file if it already exists (default do not overwrite)

-G SIMPLE, ADVANCED, ADVANCED_NO_IDR or SIMPLE_NO_IDR (default SIMPLE)

-l enable lights = 1 (default off = 0)

-m Monitor recording via VLC (using app /Applications/ VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC ) (default off)

-o (default based on date/time Eg. 2008.11.09-194041.ts)

-p capture peak bitrate in bps, Eg. 7500000 (default 20000000)

-P post processing options after recording is complete (default do not post process)

[1 = Convert 720p/AAC-2Ch to MP4+AAC-2Ch and add to iTunes]

[2 = Convert 720p/AC3-2Ch to MP4+AAC-2Ch and add to iTunes]

[3 = Convert 720p/AC3-5.1 to MP4+AAC-2Ch and add to iTunes]

-s , capture using a specific HDPVR device, Eg. 00A126AB (default - Use any)

-t , the capture duration, Eg. 01:30:00 1.5 hrs (default 00:00:10)

-V , COMPONENT, SVIDEO or COMPOSITE (default COMPONENT)

-Y Don't start the encoder (default - Encoder will start)

-z Enable Audio Boost (default off)

-Z IR Blaster configuration (default "North America,Cable Box,Sci-Atlanta Explorer 4200,74,707,4,1,400")

I can capture at 720p with either AAC-2.0 or AC3-2.0 via the RCA jacks, or AC3-5.1 via the SPDIF and mixdown to AAC-2.0 for MP4 support in Quicktime/Frontrow.

I'm going to post a demo version tonight to http://www.steventoth.net/hdpvrcapture . It will stop recording after a few minutes.

Known Issues:

* Occasionally disconnecting the HDPVR hangs the USB bus, put your system in and out of standby to resolve.

* Streaming to VLC takes place over multicast sockets, its broadcast to the nextwork so high traffic, switch to loopback.

* VLC (0.9.5) usually hangs and has to be manually killed after the stream has stop (VLC bug?).

If you're not intimidated by the command line then feel free to download and experiment. It's still got a few rough edges so your feedback is welcome. Please post all feedback here.

Any obvious bugs will be fixed before 1.0.0. The app will go on sale for $29.95. Given the target audience appears to be 6-8 people on this thread it's not a massive return on my engineering investment. For this you get ongoing support and the usual access to upgrades etc.

If the number of takers is low then it will forever remain a command line app. I'd like to build a nicely polished GUI for this so showing your support for the project will help make that happen.

Enjoy!

- Steve

21 - 40 of 1194 Posts