AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to record from my VCR (composite cables) through a Hauppauge HDPVR2 device to my PC (via USB), and the video comes very washed out (not sure if that's the correct term). It's unusable.
Snapshot_20200919_212630.jpg
Sometimes it comes out with almost the opposite coloring.
Snapshot_20200920_090324.jpg

When I watch/record from my cable box (component cables) on this PC, it comes up just fine.
When I connect the VCR (same composite cables) directly to my TV, it comes up just fine.
And when I connect my VCR to the HDPVR2 and connect the USB to my laptop, it comes up just fine. This is what it's supposed to look like.
Snapshot_20200919_195737.jpg

So it's likely something on this PC, but I'm not sure what. I've reinstalled the latest Hauppauge Capture software and drivers, removed (and re-detected) my AMD graphics drivers, and reinstalled the latest graphics drivers on this PC with no luck. I've disconnected and reconnected the wires on the different devices a few times. I've tried looking for anything with conflicting drivers and anything that might not be installed on my laptop that's on my PC. I don't want to completely reinstall Windows (yet).

PC specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
AMD FX-88320E 8 core processor 3.20 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card
Hauppauge HD-PVR2 (Hauppauge Capture 38259)
Dell IN1910N Analog monitor
1366 x 768 resolution, 32-bit color, 60 Hz

Any thoughts?
(I should mention while I could record on the laptop, it's not very powerful, so I can't record for very long before facing freezes. The desktop can handle recording at the durations I need)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Are you sure you have the capture device set to composite video? Looks like it may be set to component video.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you sure you have the capture device set to composite video? Looks like it may be set to component video.
The HDVPR2 device supports a single adaptor that takes either component video cables or composite video cables. The Hauppauge Capture software lets you select from 4 types of input (Component, Composite, S-Video and HDMI), and will detect which one is is connected. I need to select from the 4 options and only 1 of them will ever show a video based on a physical connection (with an error message on the other 3). The same physical setup on that device works when plugged in (via USB) to my laptop, so I know that I have the correct cable setup and software settings.
For example, when I set it to expect component video and it's actually composite video, I see this:

But could it be something else along those lines on my PC?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
What is the resolution on your laptop? Could you show us a screen shot of the HDVPR2 control panel and also the advanced settings option of the control panel when you are trying to record from the VCR? Have you tried using a standard def resolution for your video out (480 X 640 or 720) while you are recording?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the resolution on your laptop?
Both the laptop and desktop are 1366 x 768, landscape display. I did try to lower the resolution on the desktop thinking that might cause this issue.

Could you show us a screen shot of the HDVPR2 control panel and also the advanced settings option of the control panel when you are trying to record from the VCR? Have you tried using a standard def resolution for your video out (480 X 640 or 720) while you are recording?
I assume you mean to get a screen shot of Hauppauge Capture. There is no option for what resolution to capture. Component comes at whatever is sent by the DVR box and Composite is 720x480i at 60fps from the VCR. I don't have an option to change it on the VCR, which is what gives me problems.
I don't use this video scaler option at all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm out of ideas. Sorry. Video encoder settings?
Thanks for trying. I've poked around with those settings. I adjust the brightness, saturation, etc., to get it clear enough that I can watch a VHS tape through this device and see what's on it, but not for making a decent recording.

It doesn't make sense that it would work just fine on one computer but not another using the same hardware/wires, and that it works just fine using component video (obviously from a different source).

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Wrong color space most likely. The VCR is standard def while the HDPVR is for high def and they use two different color spaces.

SD requires Rec.601 while HD is Rec.709. Using Rec.709 on SD content will result in it being washed out.

The TV scaler internally knows this and converts the color space internally. You should be able to select the desired color space in the capture app.

An alternative is a box that does the same thing, basically the same chip inside a TV.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wrong color space most likely. The VCR is standard def while the HDPVR is for high def and they use two different color spaces.

SD requires Rec.601 while HD is Rec.709. Using Rec.709 on SD content will result in it being washed out.

The TV scaler internally knows this and converts the color space internally. You should be able to select the desired color space in the capture app.

An alternative is a box that does the same thing, basically the same chip inside a TV.
I haven't found a setting for the color space, or anything similar to what you mentioned in the Hauppauge Capture application. By the hardware recognizing the inputs and by me selecting the correct input, I assume that internally, it knows how to convert properly. The software is smart enough to recognize when I select Composite and I have component cables hooked up (and vice versa) because it won't even show me a video for the wrong configuration.

This is something that works when I connect to a different computer, so I'm not interested in getting a new box just to be able to capture from a VCR (or other composite source).

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
The two color spaces aren't different enough to account for what you are seeing. More info here:
REC 601 vs. REC 709 - When do I use which?

I think this is related to using the wrong input when you are using composite.

Component Video Cable
The green cable (also called Y) transmits the brightness information of the signal. The blue and red cables (called Pb and Pr, respectively) transmit the blue and red components of the picture's color. Green components are inferred by a combination of all three signals.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Component and Composite have the same headings - they both fit into the same Hauppauge connector, and Hauppauge diagrams how the wires should be connected for both component and composite (in terms of which color heads are audio and video). I've taken that to mean they're universal in terms of what signal they can transmit, and the color coding makes it easy to match the wires at the two ends. Usually my component cables are the 5 wires bundled together. The set I'm using is 3 colored connectors together, where I'm using them as 1 video and 2 audio. they're actually red, green and blue. So maybe they're component cables and I've been able to get away with using them as composite when they're connected to my TV or when the Hauppauge box is connected to my laptop. I have a few individual cables under the "Monster" brand, and the one I tried gave the same result.

I will look and see what I have available (before running out to buy something) to see if there's a difference. I think I have one or two sets of video and mono-audio (2 cables instead of 3) from my old Nintendo sets. I would think those would be composite cables since they were around long before component cables and digital pictures.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I decided to re-install Windows 10, thinking that maybe there was a driver or software conflict causing this. Still have the same problem. While it's possible that something in a more recent Windows update could be causing this, and the way Windows lets you make an installer flash drive using Windows Update means that it could be a factor, I am moving my attention to something that someone said in one of the forums - electrical interference.

I am going to start moving various hardware away (shredder, scanner, tabletop standing desk, etc) from my PC. But one question along those lines - could the internals of my PC (i.e. fans, cables, etc) be causing this? I do have about 4 or 5 CPU fans hooked up because of overheating problems that were resolved by adding a new heat (and rather large) sink fan.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Highly unlikely.
But if you are determined to see if this can be made to work, I would get another HDD, and do a clean install of WIN 10 on it. Leave everything except the monitor, keyboard and mouse disconnected. Don't install anything (hardware or software, especially any codec packs). Install the drivers / software for the PVR and test. Then you can add your other stuff back and see what breaks it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Highly unlikely.
But if you are determined to see if this can be made to work, I would get another HDD, and do a clean install of WIN 10 on it. Leave everything except the monitor, keyboard and mouse disconnected. Don't install anything (hardware or software, especially any codec packs). Install the drivers / software for the PVR and test. Then you can add your other stuff back and see what breaks it.
at this point, I don't have another HDD available to use. I did go as far as doing a "Reset PC" feature in Windows, but I would like to wipe this drive clean (it's a Solid State Drive) and reinstall. It's something I wanted to do anyway before this issue popped up. Going as far as using "Reset PC" didn't solve the issue.

In either case, I have only monitor, mouse and keyboard hooked up with WiFi turned off. That means Windows Update won't update any drivers and I'm not installing the PC's basic drivers (sound, video, etc.), and I have the Hauppauge software on a flash drive to install from. I also have older versions of that software, which so far haven't made a difference, but if there had been a corrupt setting or driver conflict, it wouldn't have mattered.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Keep us posted. I use Aomei backupper free and an external usb drive to give me some recourse when MS gets a mind to try to assume it can totally control (screw up) my system. That's also why all of my HTPC's and media servers still run Win 8.1.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I contacted Hauppauge because between my own ideas and 2 different forms telling me things (including sending me in probably the wrong directions), I got tired of this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hauppauge told me it was an issue with the Windows 10 version 2004 (the May release). Some broken there with their color settings. There's no ETA for fixing it.
I did install Windows 10 with the prior release on another hard drive and it works correctly there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts