AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to find information on how to calibrate for HDR with the tools at my disposal and seeing a lot of confusing information on here and other sites from around 2015.

Just wondering if the solutions are more widely available and known now as opposed to a few years ago?

I have the i1 display pro and the Sony 4K 7000D. It is calibrated in sdr using hcfr.

If I were to fork out for Calman will that allow me to calibrate for HDR? Are there existing test patterns that will force my tv in to HDR mode and settings known for hcfr I could use instead?

I am a bit naive when it comes to the whole HDR thing, but I know that when my PS4 pro activates HDR mode on the tv the tv does it automatically and shows the HDR symbol in picture settings and it Max's out brightness and contrast automatically but still keeps my calibrated colour temperature and 10 point gamma adjustments in tact.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
@mick50008 you don't need calman to calibrate HDR, but you will need to trigger your display into HDR mode. Check out mascior's HDR calibration suite. You can put it on a thumb drive and most displays support playback.

http://diversifiedvideosolutions.com

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@mick50008 you don't need calman to calibrate HDR, but you will need to trigger your display into HDR mode. Check out mascior's HDR calibration suite. You can put it on a thumb drive and most displays support playback.

http://diversifiedvideosolutions.com

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the free demo and running the images doesn't trigger my tv in to HDR mode and there is no specific HDR on or off option on the sony 7000D that I am aware of, all you are meant to do is set to enhanced and hdmi to auto, so I witched the nvidia control panl options to ycbcr 422 and 10 bit color depth and limited range and it triggered HDR on the tv automatically so I assume I am good to run the tests in the demo.

Are there any instructions for how to use these demo test patterns in hcfr?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran the free greyscale test images and the results all seem good, so I assume the rest would still be good considering enabling HDR leaves all other (calibrated) user settings the same except for brightness and contrast.

These are the results from the free demo HDR greyscale test images with my sony set to HDR via the nvidia control panel settings triggering the tv into HD mode on my sony 4k7000d..

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I notice my brightness doesn't really match the target brightness across the 10 steps but still has high accuracy so i assume that's because my tv is "kind of hdr 10" but really only hdr 10 enabled with a max brightness of 408cdm with hdr enabled?

Cheers for the help.
As far as i can tell the results look pretty ok tho for what i'm dealing with, and if i want to find out more i need to shell out for the paid version?

Trying to upload the hcfr reading file but getting invalid file format for some reason?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@mick50008

If your PC has a relatively new NVIDIA GPU, you could give my HCFR beta build a go. It is capable of putting TVs into HDR mode.
Using an external device as a pattern generator is a pain in the rear. It can also double - triple the time it takes for a full calibration.
With the new HCFR build I've finished the HDR calibration on my Vizio in an hour.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1393853-hcfr-open-source-projector-display-calibration-software-305.html#post54625100

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@mick50008

If your PC has a relatively new NVIDIA GPU, you could give my HCFR beta build a go. It is capable of putting TVs into HDR mode.
Using an external device as a pattern generator is a pain in the rear. It can also double - triple the time it takes for a full calibration.
With the new HCFR build I've finished the HDR calibration on my Vizio in an hour.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1393853-hcfr-open-source-projector-display-calibration-software-305.html#post54625100

Awesome. I will try it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,905 Posts

I ran the free greyscale test images and the results all seem good, so I assume the rest would still be good considering enabling HDR leaves all other (calibrated) user settings the same except for brightness and contrast.

These are the results from the free demo HDR greyscale test images with my sony set to HDR via the nvidia control panel settings triggering the tv into HD mode on my sony 4k7000d..
Hi, looking your grayscale image you have uploaded, you are measuring grayscale at your TV's HDR mode but you are evaluating the Electro-‐Optical Transfer Function (EOTF) using BT.1886. (which is incorrect.)

When you measure HDR you have to change @ your HCFR Preferences -> References..... to SMTPE ST.2048 HDR, to have correct luminance targets per grayscale step you are measuring @ Target Y of the graph.

Also for the software to be able to calculate luminance tracking errors to it's calculated dE you have to change the Grayscale dE settings to ''Absolute Y w/ Gamma'' @ Preferences -> Advanced of HCFR.

To do this select first Color Difference Formula to CIE2000....click 'Apply'....to be able to select then the ''Absolute Y w/ Gamma''

Also when you want to calibrate for HDR, you have to send specific metadata, not only enable HDR using zeros to all metadata info. You need to send Mastered display used details (white point/primaries, max/min luminance) and Content Metadata info (the default ones which is MaxCLL 1000 and MaxFALL 400), not sure if you have options for all these to the HCFR beta or to Nvidia control. You need to send AVI infoframe metadata also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1393853-hcfr-open-source-projector-display-calibration-software-305.html#post54625100
So, I am quite familiar with SDR calibration with HCFR, but HDR calibration is kicking my rear quite hard. What I have tried is:
1.Enabling HDR10 mode in Pattern generator, which does put my TV in HDR mode
2.Changing target CS to Rec2020 and reference EOTF to SMPTE 2084 HDR

But I can't seem to be able to measure all the reference EOTF points for 2084. It feels as if the patterns required for HDR luminance are not being put on the screen. Am I missing something here?

Please help.

·
Registered
863 Posts
So, I am quite familiar with SDR calibration with HCFR, but HDR calibration is kicking my rear quite hard. What I have tried is:
1.Enabling HDR10 mode in Pattern generator, which does put my TV in HDR mode
2.Changing target CS to Rec2020 and reference EOTF to SMPTE 2084 HDR

But I can't seem to be able to measure all the reference EOTF points for 2084. It feels as if the patterns required for HDR luminance are not being put on the screen. Am I missing something here?

Please help.
You may get a better response in the HCFR thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1393853-hcfr-open-source-projector-display-calibration-software.html
If you do post there, go ahead and show your current measurements and a little more detail on how you're sending the patterns and what equipment you're using.
It's hard to say what the issue could be without a little more background.

CFC

·
Registered
41 Posts
You may get a better response in the HCFR thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1393853-hcfr-open-source-projector-display-calibration-software.html
If you do post there, go ahead and show your current measurements and a little more detail on how you're sending the patterns and what equipment you're using.
It's hard to say what the issue could be without a little more background.

CFC
Wife needed the TV back, ended up just hitting a 2 point WP Calibration for HDR10. Good for now, but I will post in there next time I try this again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts