AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admission: I have not yet been calibrating HDR, so my question may be incorrectly framed. If so please feel free to correct me.

Question: Curious to know if anyone has any updated information on TPGs like the VideoForge Pro, Murideo Six-G, or any other, and if they can do YCbCr colorspace outputs while doing HDR/DV generation? I've found some threads that are a little aged that indicate that they can only do RGB output to allow for HDR/DV calibration. I'm not a huge fan of that since I've seen the deviations in my own displays just calibrating SDR and prefer to have the output of the TPG match that of the source.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The VFPro supports both RGB and YCbCr output for HDR10. I don't have a DV-capable display, but AIUI for DV you configure the VFPro for 8-bit RGB Full output at 1080p, but the patterns sent are actually 12-bit 4:2:2, being tunneled through the data path. I think the Murideo Six-G is the same in both respects.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The VFPro supports both RGB and YCbCr output for HDR10. I don't have a DV-capable display, but AIUI for DV you configure the VFPro for 8-bit RGB Full output at 1080p, but the patterns sent are actually 12-bit 4:2:2, being tunneled through the data path. I think the Murideo Six-G is the same in both respects.
Thanks for this, particularly your comments on how DoVi is handled by the VFPro (and Murideo Six-G). That's the behaviour I've been seeing with a newly required Six-G and I wasn't sure whether it was correct or not.

Just to add for the OP, the VFPro and Six-G are essentially the same device, in a different wrapper, with the only real difference being the VFPro is locked to CalMAN for use. The Six-G can be used by any current popular calibration software.
Also, the latest FW updates across the 3 Six-G versions, have corrected a bug it had and it can now output YCC 4:2:2 (and YCC 4:4:4) bit perfect for both SDR and HDR10.

Paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the info. Do you know of a technical deep dive on the DV 8-Bit RGB and how that works? I'm curious to understand better how the generator and display do the conversion that ends up in a 12-bit 4:2:2 signal.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this, particularly your comments on how DoVi is handled by the VFPro (and Murideo Six-G). That's the behaviour I've been seeing with a newly required Six-G and I wasn't sure whether it was correct or not.

Just to add for the OP, the VFPro and Six-G are essentially the same device, in a different wrapper, with the only real difference being the VFPro is locked to CalMAN for use. The Six-G can be used by any current popular calibration software.
Also, the latest FW updates across the 3 Six-G versions, have corrected a bug it had and it can now output YCC 4:2:2 (and YCC 4:4:4) bit perfect for both SDR and HDR10.

Paul
Thanks for the comparison between the VFPro and Six-G. While I primarily use Calman, I do have Lightspace and also work with it as well. I was under the impression that using my DVDO TPG would continue to work fine with LS and was considering getting the VFPro to save the $1k, but I suppose if I can find a deal eventually an 6G would be nice for flexibility reasons.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. Do you know of a technical deep dive on the DV 8-Bit RGB and how that works? I'm curious to understand better how the generator and display do the conversion that ends up in a 12-bit 4:2:2 signal.
Sorry, I don't.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Thanks,
Dan
Does this give you any more information that might be useful?

Unfortunately, the Dolby white paper linked in that post isn't available anymore. I have read through it and should have saved the .pdf but, thought the link would always work.
Thanks for the comparison between the VFPro and Six-G. While I primarily use Calman, I do have Lightspace and also work with it as well. I was under the impression that using my DVDO TPG would continue to work fine with LS and was considering getting the VFPro to save the $1k, but I suppose if I can find a deal eventually an 6G would be nice for flexibility reasons.

Thanks,
Dan
I got a very good deal on the (used) SIX-G I bought recently, so they do come up. I just used it last night, to calibrate my Panasonic GZ2000 for DoVi, with fantastic results.

As you assume though, your DVDO TPG will continue to work with LightSpace just fine. A point of note is that LightSpace doesn't support DoVi pattern generation with the SIX-G, as I've just discovered being a LightSpace user. ColourSpace does though and it looks to be quite a nice implementation. Like you, I primarily use CalMAN so it's not a huge issue for me.

Paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does this give you any more information that might be useful?

Unfortunately, the Dolby white paper linked in that post isn't available anymore. I have read through it and should have saved the .pdf but, thought the link would always work.
I got a very good deal on the (used) SIX-G I bought recently, so they do come up. I just used it last night, to calibrate my Panasonic GZ2000 for DoVi, with fantastic results.

As you assume though, your DVDO TPG will continue to work with LightSpace just fine. A point of note is that LightSpace doesn't support DoVi pattern generation with the SIX-G, as I've just discovered being a LightSpace user. ColourSpace does though and it looks to be quite a nice implementation. Like you, I primarily use CalMAN so it's not a huge issue for me.

Paul
Thanks again Paul, that link was enough detail to satisfy my curiosity and puts my mind at ease that RGB 8-bit wasn't just a TPG limitation. I'm also going to hold out for a deal on something new/used, no rush as I don't personally own anything HDR yet, but expect to pick up something this year eventually. Have a few friends that are HDR, so having a TPG for HDR10/DV would certainly be nice vs using discs. Appreciate the info, thanks one more time!

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts