AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The HDR firmware has been out for a little while now and no one has posted anything about it... :confused:
It doesn't apply to my 300ES, but I would be curios to know how noticeable the improvements are and how subtle it is.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
The HDR firmware has been out for a little while now and no one has posted anything about it... :confused:
It doesn't apply to my 300ES, but I would be curios to know how noticeable the improvements are and how subtle it is.
Its not only HDR but the extended gamut correct?

I would be more interested in the extended color gamut our units are capable of.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I thought it was discussed quite a bit? It was pulled from all Sony websites worldwide because it didn't really fix any of the issues present. There's no way the firware can expand the capability of the color gamut. That is dependent on the lamp and light engine characteristics, not something that can be expanded by electronics. You'd need a physical filter inside the light engine added if you wanted to see a larger color gamut. The 365/320ES and 665/520ES can do a little more than REC709. About 85% if I remember correctly of P3 (REC709 is 75% of P3 for reference). That's all you're ever going to get from these units. Only the current top two JVCs and higher up Sony 4K models can do a larger gamut (about 100% of P3) of the units that support HDR.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was discussed quite a bit? It was pulled from all Sony websites worldwide because it didn't really fix any of the issues present. There's no way the firware can expand the capability of the color gamut. That is dependent on the lamp and light engine characteristics, not something that can be expanded by electronics. You'd need a physical filter inside the light engine added if you wanted to see a larger color gamut. The 365/320ES and 665/520ES can do a little more than REC709. About 85% if I remember correctly of P3 (REC709 is 75% of P3 for reference). That's all you're ever going to get from these units. Only the current top two JVCs and higher up Sony 4K models can do a larger gamut (about 100% of P3) of the units that support HDR.
It was talked about quite a bit, but that's not what this thread is supposed to be about.
I wanted some actual input from users to see if they could see an improvement when the update was applied as far as HDR was concerned. For this of course you also need the UHD player and discs etc...
You said it was pulled from the Sony web sites world wide, _ it's still up on the US one for the 365ES.
Are we talking about the same thing here ?

There is so much inconsistency with how the projectors "use" what's coming from the Samsung player maybe others don't want to open up a can of worms with the new update ???

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPLVW365ES&LOC=3#/downloadTab

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
It was talked about quite a bit, but that's not what this thread is supposed to be about.
I wanted some actual input from users to see if they could see an improvement when the update was applied as far as HDR was concerned. For this of course you also need the UHD player and discs etc...
You said it was pulled from the Sony web sites world wide, _ it's still up on the US one for the 365ES.
Are we talking about the same thing here ?

There is so much inconsistency with how the projectors "use" what's coming from the Samsung player maybe others don't want to open up a can of worms with the new update ???

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPLVW365ES&LOC=3#/downloadTab
Yes, we're talking about the same thing. It's still up on the US site, but worldwide it's been removed. And that is exactly what my post was about. It's been discussed and NO there was no improvement. It may update the 365ES to support HDR, but it's plagued with the same issues that the 665ES has. People suspect this is why it was pulled. The consensus is that the HDMI interface and/or the EDID on the Sony is causing most of the issues. The K8500 works fine with the JVCs.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's a very informative post on the update:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...37-owners-sony-vpl-vw665-44.html#post44263570
(and read the post below to confirm the same issues on the 365ES/320ES)

and another
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...37-owners-sony-vpl-vw665-44.html#post44297634
Thanks for the links, I started to work my way backwards in there, but didn't go back far enough. :rolleyes:
I'm tired of wondering and worrying about this stuff, I'm going to watch a movie and eat my homemade pineapple ice cream ! :D

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Some help if I may?

I have a client that bought the SONY 520 4K projector and the Sansung UHD player.

This projector has BT709 and BT2020 as colour space options and HDR "on" and "off". Rec 709 looks awesome, but he gets a massive red push as soon as HDR is turned on.
I can't remember if he turned colour space from BT709 to BT2020 or even he has to.

He claimes to have done all the FW upgrades.

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Once for all the Samsung will never work, correctly on the to Sonys, it's an hardware limitation in the Sony and the Samsung.
The Sony needs a 4:2:2/24p 10-12bit to show BT2020 and HDR.
The Samsung can only output 4:4:4/24p, It's a hardware limitation on the Samsung, so the proper handshake won't happen.
Sony and Samsung did a workaround so it at least could show HDR but not BT2020 only REC709.
So at the moment, Panasonic, Philips and maybe X-Box is the only players which work.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Once for all the Samsung will never work, correctly on the to Sonys, it's an hardware limitation in the Sony and the Samsung.
The Samsung can only output 4:4:4/24p, It's a hardware limitation on the Samsung, so the proper handshake won't happen.
Sony and Samsung did a workaround so it at least could show HDR but not BT2020 only REC709.
So at the moment, Panasonic, Philips and maybe X-Box is the only players which work.
The X-Box One S does not work with the Sony. :-(

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
So he is limited to REC709 until he upgrades his player? I think he is waiting for the new OPPO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
So he is limited to REC709 until he upgrades his player? I think he is waiting for the new OPPO.
Yes he is limited to REC709.

I can recommend these settings on the Sony:
BT2020
Color 42-43
Tint 54-55
That looks surprisingly well with the Samsung and HDR.

If he gets tired of waiting, I can highly recommend the Panasonic:)

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Yes he is limited to REC709.

I can recommend these settings on the Sony:
BT2020
Color 42-43
Tint 54-55
That looks surprisingly well with the Samsung and HDR.

If he gets tired of waiting, I can highly recommend the Panasonic:)
Thank you. I shall pass this on. Yeah I like the Panny player too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts