AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My setup:
HTPC (Win10/Radeon 580/3570k) -> Yamaha RX-V681 LG E7P (all HDMI 2.0b cables)
Speakers: Front/Center/Right/Front Pres./Sub (no surrounds)
Dolby Access HT enabled
PC Display Settings: HDR enabled, 10 bit, 4:2:2
Receiver Settings: 4k Mode 1, Dolby Surround Decoding
TV Settings: Input from receiver labeled "PC" and uses PC icon

The TV detects the HDR signal from the PC (via the receiver). Good. The desktop is dim and washed out. Not a big problem, if videos would play normally. They don't. When they play in non-full screen, the TV detects HDR and they play with their color mangled like the desktop. In full screen, the color gets brighter but after a brief moment, the TV no longer detects HDR, and the blacks are crushed (among other problems - perhaps the PC is sending HDR but the TV is not detecting it? HDCP issue?). Netflix does not send a signal to the front presence speakers even on Atmos titles - receiver shows only front/center/right/sub in use.

OK, fine, I'll use the built-in apps on the TV for video. The picture is great but now I have to run output through an optical cable, and now the audio is slightly out of sync even after adjustment from the TV sound menu. Plus, I don't know what kind of signal is coming though the optical out (2.0?), because I can't view the receiver menu (since in this case it is not sending a video signal to the TV) to check. I don't think it is Dolby Atmos.

Alright, so what else can I use to get both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, without causing sync issues? Roku? Nope. Apple TV? Nope. Xbox One seems like the only option, and I don't want to spend that kind of money.

Only ideas on how to fix the HTPC issues, or, failing that, to output sound to the receiver in a way that a) doesn't cause sync issues and b) shows me what the signal encoding is? One thing I tried and failed to do was to do audio out from the TV to the received via ARC rather than optical. However, I was unable to get any sound this way. Maybe I just had some setting incorrect?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts