AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if cross posting is ok, but this problem falls under two different categories. I also submitted on the Ginormous "official Denon 3311... " thread. don't know if it will be seen there...

Here goes:

Hey all, have a new issue with my Denon, (or at least I think I can blame it on the Denon) I recently bought some 96kbps / 24 bit FLAC files from HDtracks.com. all files play on my computer itself through songbird, all files play at 96kbps after being transcoded to ALAC with dBpoweramp version14.2.

Here is where it gets strange: the Norah Jones album plays all tracks when pushed through Songbird via my hardwired Gigabit lan to the Denon, but NOT A SINGLE TRACK of Crosby, Stills & Nash will. Even stranger: when I transcode to 48kbs/16 bit FLAC through dBpoweramp, they STILL wont play on the Denon via Songbird. If I go to 48kbps ALAC, they will not play to the denon via airplay. again, Norah Jones does.

I queried HDtracks and they basically say if they play on the computer the files cannot be corrupt and the problem is likely somehow in how the Denon is handling the files. Are there any problems with how encoded metadata is handled that might be causing my problem?

Here is the slightly redacted text and reply from HDtracks:

Hi, I recently placed the following order with Invoice Number: 523xxx I had perfect success running the Norah Jones 96kbps version album from the latest Songbird media server (Version: Songbird 2.2.0, Build 2453 (20130204082828) to my Denon 3311CI via hardwired gigabit lan. For some reason that I cannot figure out, the Crosby, Stills & Nash album 96 kbps will not play ANY tracks to the Denon, although it will play on my computer in Songbird. I tried converting to ALAC with dBpoweramp reference version 14.2 and again, it will run in Itunes on the computer, but will not stream to the Denon. Finally, I tried downconverting to 48kbps/16 bit ALAC, and still got the same results. Do you guys have an issues on record with Denon equipment? I tried upsampling some of my personal direct from CD ripped 44.1/16 FLAC files to 96/24 before purchasing from your site to verify my Denon was compatable with that bit rate / depth. Denon documentation says it is, and I had success with three different albums. The confusing point, is again, Norah Jones 9 6/24 works to the Denon great via songbird, and when converted to ALAC, also through Itunes. Any ideas? Will contact Denon as well. Denon has had the latest firmware updatre and am running the current version of Itunes, 11 something, not totally sure of exact version. Thanks!

Hi Chris,

If you are able to play the files on your computer, then there is nothing wrong with the files. Please check with Denon and the setting of your system.

Sincerely,

Mark

[email protected]

Any ideas from the knowledge base here? or is another forum for HD streaming a better place for this one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see there are a few views to this post, and I have figured out the solution. The album artwork embedded into each track's metadata was too large. I used dBpoweramp's DSP features to simply strip the artwork from the track data, and the songs all play fine either via songbird at the original 24/96, or resampled for ALAC thru Itunes airplay at 16/48. This might help someone else so I posted the solution. I am sure I can re-encode smaller artwork, but right now everything works and don't want to do the research on what the file size limit is for the artwork inside of FLAC (or at least what Denon considers their limit)

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a little more digging, and the album art that was choking my Denon was saved at 2400 x 2400 resolution, almost a 6 Mb jpeg!

The receiver ran fine with other tracks that had 1200 x 1200 artwork embedded. Not exaxtly a crippling limitation since I don't even own a 4k display yet....

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts