AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a HK avr635, and a Samsung HL-s71... My signal is coming from a Motorola Digital cable box.

The HK doesn't have HDMI inputs so I figured I'd just run the cable to the TV via HDMI, and use the TV's optical audio out (no digital coax out) to the HK. The HK is properly configured in the input/output and I am receiving sound, but stereo only. No DTS. The HK recognizes a PCM at 46k coming in, but I can't get the 5.1 as is indicated comes with the HD (some) channels.

Now, my DTS is fine with my DVD player (connected via coax) but for some reason, it's no-go on the DTS from the TV.

Admittedly I haven't tried going from the box to the HK yet, but I'm going to go try that now.. (just the audio) to see if the TV is f'ing things up.

If I'm heading in the wrong direction, any advice would be appreciated.

~Raine

(Yeah im a newb here, first post...)

·
Read the FAQ!
36,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainemaker /forum/post/0

I own a HK avr635, and a Samsung HL-s71... My signal is coming from a Motorola Digital cable box.

The HK doesn't have HDMI inputs so I figured I'd just run the cable to the TV via HDMI, and use the TV's optical audio out (no digital coax out) to the HK. The HK is properly configured in the input/output and I am receiving sound, but stereo only. No DTS. The HK recognizes a PCM at 46k coming in, but I can't get the 5.1 as is indicated comes with the HD (some) channels.

Now, my DTS is fine with my DVD player (connected via coax) but for some reason, it's no-go on the DTS from the TV.

Admittedly I haven't tried going from the box to the HK yet, but I'm going to go try that now.. (just the audio) to see if the TV is f'ing things up.

If I'm heading in the wrong direction, any advice would be appreciated.

~Raine

(Yeah im a newb here, first post...)

DTS is a bit of a strange beastie because there are still receivers out there that don't know how to handle it. And so digital audio connections typically default to sending out a 2-channel "down mix" unless you explicitly tell them that the thing at the other end of the cable is OK to receive DTS.

Getting digital audio from your TV complicates things a bit more since TV broadcasts don't use DTS audio and so your TV may not even OFFER the option to send out a DTS bitstream.

But here are the things to try:

1) Play a DD 5.1 track and see if THAT makes it through the TV to your receiver.

2) Look for an output setting in your TV that asks whether your receiver is able to handle DTS, and if so, how it wants to get it. Often the choices here will be "bitstream" or "PCM". Bitstream is the one you want.

3) Look for the SAME sort of output setting in your DVD player.

--Bob

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Check your instruction manual, but more than likely, your TV will not pass Dolby Digital or DTS through the optical output from any of the inputs. It will only pass Stereo. It will only pass Dolby Digital from the HDTV (ATSC) tuner in your TV. You'll have to use the optical output from the player directly to the receiver.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/0

Check your instruction manual, but more than likely, your TV will not pass Dolby Digital or DTS through the optical output from any of the inputs. It will only pass Stereo. It will only pass Dolby Digital from the HDTV (ATSC) tuner in your TV. You'll have to use the optical output from the player directly to the receiver.

I can confirm this is true with my HLR Samsung DLP, I'm pretty sure it's the same with the HLS. Optical port only passes DD from the TV's ATSC tuner and/or D-Net(1394) port. That would be if you had a DVHS deck inputted to the TV, I believe the 5.1 would be output from the TV's optical audio output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.