AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved a lot a valuable information from this forum and finally took the plunge and installed a Sony HD200 HDTV receiver to my Sony VPL-VW10HT projector. Needless to say, I am VERY pleased. The HDTV images are stunning. I live in Layton, Utah and have a standard roof-top antenna pointing to the transmitters at Farnsworth Peak about 45 miles away. Excellent reception -- always in the "good" with the signal strength measure.

Just a couple of questions. I am using the optical output from the HD200 to my DTV input to my receiver. My receiver automatically detects DD5.1 signals. However, my receiver very seldom detects it -- even when the channel is claiming that the broadcast IS in DD5.1. For example, Leno is supposed to be in DD5.1, but my receiver doesn't detect it and stays in the Dolby Pro-Logic mode. The ONLY time my reciever HAS detected DD5.1 was with Showtime movies such as Legally Blonde And even then, it was VERY VERY weak. Hardly any subwoofer signal. And the surrounds were very very weak --- Nothing at all like my DVD copy of the same movie.

Is my experience typical of the audio right now with HDTV?

Is there something that I should be doing to better activate the D5.1?

Have any of you experienced OTA DD5.1 which is equivalent to a DVD?

Also, Any recent information about what is happening with the Local (Utah) ABC channel. 4.1 is not working and 40.1 is off the air. 40.2 is a very poor signal with chopping sound. Isn't ABC carrying the Super Bowl? I'm getting nervous.

Thanks for your help. I enjoy being a part of the HDTV community.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Are you sure NBC is doing 5.1 and not 2.0? I thought only ABC was doing 5.1, but might be wrong since NEITHER of those network stations are transmitting HD at all in this market.

·
Registered
331 Posts
From my experience, only HDNet, HBOHD, SHOHD (all from DirecTV) and ABC are doing 5.1. ABC is only doing 5.1 on their HDTV programming.

The rest are doing 2.0, though sometimes ProLogic seems to be encoded in the stream (at least I hear stuff from the back channels from time to time).

I generally leave my Sony V555ES receiver on "Normal Surround" and it does a good job.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The ABC DD 5.1 on movies is just like DVD audio. They do broadcast most (maybe all, I don't watch them all) of their HDTV programs in DD 5.1, as others have said here. The network feed has it, but your local station may or may not be passing it.

Here in Seattle, getting the ABC DD 5.1 is a bit tricky because they are broadcasting it as "alternate audio." The viewer has to switch from the primary audio on the HD receiver in a manner similar to selecting an alternate language if one were provided. I don't know if other stations are using alternate audio. When in doubt, contact the station and ask the engineer to explain what audio they have available with their HD broadcasts.

There is also limited DD 5.1 on some DirecTV PPV movies (not HD, but usually letterboxed SDTV). I have recorded a few of these on my DirecTiVo with excellent results--not HD but not as over-compressed as some other DirecTV channels. The program (movie) listing will actually specify DD 5.1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.