AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend an amplifier to boost OTA signal strength? I have a medium-large size "old fashioned" antenna in the attic and during certain weather conditions my local ABC signal strength drops to the low 40's. My RCT DTC100 seems to need around 55 on the signal strength meter to be able to lock in correctly.

ABC seems to be the most problematic station. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi Ed,

Right now I have a Channel Master 7775 pre-amp that works great. It is for UHF only and if I unhook it my signal strength goes from 76 to 34. On another channel it goes from 94 to no signal. So if you just need UHF I would recommend a CM-7775. They are around $50.

Mike

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Thanks. I am guessing that the local Las Angeles digital OTA version of ABC is UHF. I will give the Channel Master 7775 a try.

Thanks again.

Ed

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You need a modern high gain UHF antenna - all the LA digital channels are on the UHF band. An old "large" antenna has a big VHF section, but only a weak puny UHF section. Consider a preamp only after you upgrade the antenna.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DonBerg,

Thanks for the reply. The antenna I am using has a relatively large UHF section (as you note - a larger VHF section). What do you recommend model/size wise so that I can compare?

Thanks.

Ed

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Excellent UHF antennas with high gain across the entire UHF band are the Channel Master model 4221 and 4228, also the Winegard PR-4400 and P4-8800.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.