AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my home theater and experimenting with different configurations. Currently I have a Barco 1208s with a Faroudja NRS at 1360x1024 projecting on a 54"x96" screen. I have the 1360x1024 because I plan to move up to a 9" projector, hopefully a EH 9500LC.

For the HDTV, Faroudja recommended I consider using the DTV 480i output and process the signal with the Faroudja instead vs. having the set-top box up or down convert signals (i.e. a 480p broadcast up converted to 1080i output).

The 480i output from the Samsung SIR-T151 processed through the NRS has been great. Monday Night Football was spectacular, with the Dolby 5.1 it was better than being there. I am now experimenting with a Sony HD200s. Just picked it up today. Currently I am using OTA HDTV. Still trying to decide on a DirecTV configuration.

Does anybody have any comments on the HDTV and CRT projection?

Update:

Have just setup the new Sony HD200s, and the D15 RGB worked on the projector and the 1080i image was the best I have seen to date. I have things setup to switch between the Samsung (480i) through the NRS and HD pass-thru at 1080i, 720p and 480p from the Sony. I am not sure how much of the difference is softness due to the 1024p of the Faroudja with only 8" CRTs, but the 1080i was much sharper.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I worked with the HD receivers most of the night and finally got the Samsung SIR-T151 to work with the HD component YPrPb output. Made a breakout cable to connect via d15. The Faroudja NRS HD input is d15 and will convert YPrPb to RGB.

I like the Samsung unit better than the Sony, picture color seemed better and there is a 480i continuous output through video or S-Video.

Not sure if some of this should be posted on the HD Forum, but my main interest was with the CRT setup......

My Theater (with DVD image)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.