AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to use an Ampro with my Dish 6000 receiver via the VGA port, and all was well.

I'm migrating to TimeWarnerCable and their boxes have either component only, or DVI and component.

I have the Audio Authority 9A62 transcoder and it crushes black detail horribly. I also tried the low priced XBlaster transcoder with my Z1 with very poor results.

I'm considering coming back to the dark side, but this issue seems to me to be an increasingly major stumbling block for CRT's as the world moves to DVI.

How are you connecting your HD STB to your CRT?

Has anyone had good luck with the Key Digital CTCA3?

Thanks...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think all the low cost transcoders are going to have issues with black. Do a search for MP-5, Mike Parker's transcoder. It will cost you more, but those who have seen it rave about it.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know that Mike's was ready to go..... cool.

What do most people use to get HD into their CRT?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The issue with those cheaper transcoders is not being able to strip out the tri-level sync. A great deal of CRT's can only handle bi-level sync. I am not really sure of all the technical details, but tri-level sync fools the projector with its third level of sync that is blacker than the sync level in bi-level sync, causing the whole picture compostion to be too dark. Or something like that. Someone who is more technically knowlegeable please chime in.

The Extron CVC200 transcoder, now is awesome. It will perfectly convert tri to bi-level. I had to use one with an E-home ECP a while back to overcome the dark, dark picture. Worked like a charm, and produced a MUCH sharper picture over the AA or Keydigital. That was just an added bonus. I was able to pick one up used for $400... they are kind of hard to find, but its worth the search IMO. I wish to the Lord that I had not sold mine when I got out of CRT projectors. It would have come in handy again someday, I am sure.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Contact a Time-Warner engineer, in person at the customer service desk at the local office. Tell him that your specific needs require a decoder box with RGB outs rather than component outs. Tell him that the Scientific Atlanta HD2000 box is just such a products, and they should have some of them. They are internally configurable for RGB operation OR for component operation.

I'm SURE that your provider can get you a box with RGB outputs, but you will probably NOT be able to get the special help you need by talking to a regular customer service rep. You really do need to talk to one of their engineers.

CJ

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cmjohnson
Contact a Time-Warner engineer, in person at the customer service desk at the local office. Tell him that your specific needs require a decoder box with RGB outs rather than component outs. Tell him that the Scientific Atlanta HD2000 box is just such a products, and they should have some of them. They are internally configurable for RGB operation OR for component operation.

I'm SURE that your provider can get you a box with RGB outputs, but you will probably NOT be able to get the special help you need by talking to a regular customer service rep. You really do need to talk to one of their engineers.

CJ

Thanks, CJ. That sounds like a great idea.

I take it that most users here use a STB with RGB output?

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Quote:
What do most people use to get HD into their CRT?
you have already got the best thing since sliced low-carb wheat bread for delivering hdtv to crt projectors!!!

i use 2 6000's to my ampro, a bell express and a dish network

between those 2 services you are bound to have many many more hdtv channels than time warner offers, a quick count gives me near 30 hdtv channels total that i have

look into it if you can't get time warner worked out like cmjohnson explained

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.