AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out today looking for the Multi Satellite dish for my DirectTV system. While talking with the guy at Radio Shack I asked him about prices for antennas to put in my attic. He said I don't need an antenna to pick up OTA HDTV local channels because the multi satellite dish along with my subscription to local channels via DirectTV would allow me access to the local channels and any HDTV broadcasts from my local channels.

I also went to BestBuy and they said the same thing.

So is this true? If I hook up the Multi Satellite dish will this allow me access to my local channels HDTV broadcasts? I am within days of my basement being completed and I am trying to get the infrastructure in place.

Thanks in advance for you help,

EricfromVA

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricfromVA
I was out today looking for the Multi Satellite dish for my DirectTV system. While talking with the guy at Radio Shack I asked him about prices for antennas to put in my attic. He said I don't need an antenna to pick up OTA HDTV local channels because the multi satellite dish along with my subscription to local channels via DirectTV would allow me access to the local channels and any HDTV broadcasts from my local channels.

I also went to BestBuy and they said the same thing.

So is this true? If I hook up the Multi Satellite dish will this allow me access to my local channels HDTV broadcasts? I am within days of my basement being completed and I am trying to get the infrastructure in place.
No. RS & BB are both completely wrong.

DirecTV has 3 HDTV channels, HDNet, HBO & Showtime, which you will get from their 3 lnb oval dish. To get your local over-the-air DTV (digital TV) stations, you will need a conventional antenna, probably UHF.

This assumes you have a DirecTV HDTV receiver, which will also receive the local DTV stations.

Check www.titantv.com to see what local DTV stations are available in your area, and where they are, what band (VHF/UHF or both) they are on, etc.

Read both the HDTV STB & HDTV Programming Synopsis's in their respective forums for more details.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think that sounded right. I figured I would post it for the experts. I appreciate the response.

Thanks,

EricfromVA

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
It is possible to subscribe to local OTA channels via DirecTV. But these are only the analog stations. If you want access to the digital OTA programming, you need an OTA antenna.

·
Registered
158 Posts
All of the info you got from AVS members is CORRECT and all of the info you got from the retailers is WRONG. What does that tell you?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fourml8r
All of the info you got from AVS members is CORRECT and all of the info you got from the retailers is WRONG. What does that tell you?
That AVS Forum should be required reading for all electonics retailers.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I find the HDTV knowledge of retailers to be totally inadequate. When I was investigating HDTV and Satellite TV, the manager of the "Satellite Warehouse" store told me that the ONLY way to get HDTV was via a satellite dish. He said no rooftop antenna is capable of getting it. He was their regional "expert" on HDTV and has been working in the field for over 15 years. He said that what I read on the forums is a bunch of garbage from misinformed people who don't know what they're talking about. The people at Radio Shack didn't even know what HDTV was. Other "experts" at stores such as Best Buy told me that HDTV and DTV meant exactly the same thing and that any channel that was digital was also High Definition. One store salesperson told me that HDTV was not available yet in Utah.

These are the "experts" that are selling the equipment to thousands of unsuspecting individuals. I suspect that 9 out of 10 people that buy an HDTV set think they are watching high definition television as soon as they flip it on. I don't know how many people have told me "I watch HDTV at home" when they only have an HDTV ready set and no receiver.

Thank goodness for this forum.

If you want to have some fun, go to a store that sells TV equipment and overhear the salespeople talk about HDTV to customers. It's a hoot. Then interrupt and contradict everything the salesperson said and watch the salesperson's face go scarlet red. It's really fun until they harsly ask you to leave.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is sad that the information from retailers is so off the mark. People are buying theses HDTV ready TV's and then shelling out 400-600 bucks for and HDTV receiver and have no idea how to use it. I saw at least 5 returned HDTV receivers at BestBuy the other day.

The only way people can get good information is through forums like these. I have been looking through hundreds of posts to get a clear picture of the equipment I need and am grateful for the expertise that is floating around here. It has saved me alot of grief and cleared up many questions I had.

EricfromVA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.