AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having difficulty getting OTA HD reception. I am currently using a silver sensor antenna. I am getting nothing. I have the antenna plugged directly into my Zenith HD SAT520 tuner. Is there a sub menu that I could select to view locals.

I have been in contact with some locals in Jacksonville, FL and they state I should receive some locals with the silver sensor. I am contemplating getting a different antenna(outside). If I do this, how do I connect it. My setup includes...

1. AU2 directv dish with 3 lnb's.

2. 4 outputs for dish into a multiswitch (5x8).

3. 1 dual tuner directv/tivo receiver in 1 room.

4. 1 dual tuner directv/tivo rec. and hd tuner in another room.

So I have a total of 5 outputs from multiswitch into the 3 receivers. If i ahve an external anttena, would I run the cable through the multiswitch or directly into my hd tuner. Not sure how this works.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
Chris, I am not familiar with the SAT520 directly but you should be able to get the OTA signal to your HD receiver either through the 5x8 multiplexer or directly into the HD receiver. This would be dependant on where your antenna is located. If you can receive "good" reception for the analog OTA signal for the channels in your area, then you should be able to get the digital HD signal for that same channel since most stations broadcast from the same tower (not always at equivalent power if they are in startup mode). Since the D*Tivo's don't deal with the HD signal, you should be able to keep the two processes separate (you will have separate "guide" info from both the TIVO and the HD receiver). When you set up your SAT520, there should have been a "start up" process that downloaded channels available in your zipcode from D*TV and gave you options to scan for both analog and digital TV broadcasts. That process should have pointed to what channels the 520 was able to locate since it would build them into the guide. I would debug with the Silver Sensor directly connected to the HD receiver to eliminate any variables related to diplexing the OTA channels from the coax feed from the multiplexer. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.