AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Panasonic PT-42PD3-P yesterday and then called Time Warner Cable of NYC to have an HDTV box installed. They told me that unless I have a 1080i television, they would not give me the box.

I responded that it is my understanding that even though my TV is 853X480, I would still see a substantial benefit in the picture from a an HDTV signal. Am I missing something here? The PT-42PD3-P is not 1080i - correct?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It is capable of accepting a 1080i signal (which it converts to its native rate - see the FAQ for explanation) so for TWC purposes it is a 1080i television. Just tell them that it is. Simple as that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Divvy. So an HDTV signal will give me a much better picture than the non-HDTV signal even though my monitor's resolution is only 853X480? Therefore, I should get the HDTV box? Is this correct?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Even though your set only has a "native" resolution of 480 your system will upconvert it to 1080i to be able to get the picture. Check the tv's documentation. It will tell you the HDTV compatibilities. Most sets are now compatible with 720p, 720i, 1080i, 1080p.

The picture on HDTV filmed shows should be amazing, despite having a lower native resolution on your set.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Even though your set only has a "native" resolution of 480 your system will upconvert it to 1080i to be able to get the picture. Check the tv's documentation. It will tell you the HDTV compatibilities. Most sets are now compatible with 720p, 720i, 1080i, 1080p.

The picture on HDTV filmed shows should be amazing, despite having a lower native resolution on your set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.