Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I read the latest issue of Popular Science and it states that the Nintendo Gamecube will support HDTV resolutions of 1920x1080. Are there any plasma or tube tvs that support this type of resolution? I am not really interested in projection tv since my living room seems to have too much light and I don't think a projection tv will look very good in my living room.

I would really like a 16:9 tv and not a 4:3 tv.

Thanks for your help!

Maynerd

·
Registered
15 Posts
1920x1080 is the 1080i part of DTV. Any 1080i HDTV compatible set has should be able to reproduce this resolution, including any new Sony XBR TV, the new 16:9 Sony XBR HDTV and lots of others. This is a 16:9 resolution, so it would fill a 16:9 screen, but would be letterboxed on a 4:3 TV.

-Scott

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm..I guess I got confused, I was looking at some plasma tvs that listed that they supported 1080i but they had a resolution listed at less than 1920x1080. So even though the list a resolution less than 1920x1080, if they support 1080i then they do have resolutions up to 1920x1080?

Is that right?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
My VT540 supports 1080i but is only XGA (1024x768). This is clearly lower than the most that can be obtained from the signal. However, it is still stunning - even on my 8' wide screen sitting 10' away. Few consumer devices have the fortitude to resolve the entire signal, but I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, I have numerous games on my HTPC that I watch in XGA mode. All of these look excellent, but it is clear that some of them are not really XGA (or pure XGA). Some play in XGA, but look only slightly better than their SVGA counterpart. Newer games may be better at this. YMMV.

Enjoy!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Game Cube will do 480p.But the X-box(MS) will give you what you want 1920x1080.

------------------

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Here is a comparison of the 3 major consoles: (this could be out of date so bare with me.) http://xbox.ign.com/news/18801.html#specs

------------------

Mitsubishi WS-55805

RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI, Xbox will not support progressive scan dvd.

The ignxbox site is wrong.

Maynerd

[This message has been edited by maynerd (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Coleman:
Evilhomer,

The X-box supports DVD playback at 1080I 720P and 480P. It will be thru component video outs.
Is that upconverted 480i? Because if it is, then it is not true HDTV.

When I see a game with complex graphics with true 1080i at 60 fps, then I'LL BELIVE IT.

------------------
Mario_C

My Music & Home Theater System

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a reliable source that I has provided me this information.

You're going to have to trust me on this.

Maynerd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.