AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we got our RCA DTC100 working with the Direct TV HD signal. We recently replaced an RPTV with a JVC DILA projector. When we watched the HD signal on the RPTV I liked it but franlky was not blown away. However watching the signal on the JVC DILA was another matter entirely. It was mind blowing.

I have talked briefly to someone at Channel master. I live about 65 miles (Kitty Hawk, NC) from where the tidewater virginia stations broadcast (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach).

The guy at channel master seemed to think I could mount an outside antenna since the ground is flat and get these stations.

He said I could bring that signal into the open antenna jack on the DTC100 and thus may ( I stress may because he did) be able to get HD stations from Norfolk.

he also said I may need a signal amplifier.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience, opinions etc on whether this will work and how to go about it.

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
630 Posts
The two most recommended antennas on this forum are the CM 4251 and CM 4248. I have both. I would try the CM4248 first since it is easier to work with. The CM4251 is large but is a better bet if the CM4248 doesn't work. A rotor helps. I also recommend the Titan 7777 preamp, also from CM. Outside roof mount will be a must. Radio shack makes a nice tripod that is about $20.

Scott

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'd also suggest trying the RatShack 15-2162 (~$40.00) UHF antenna first. Not because it's better than the CM 4248 (They're about equally sensitive, but forget the RatShack's grossly exagerated "Range" numbers in their catalog.), but because RatShack has an extremely liberal return policy. If it doesn't bring in the signal, then defintely go shopping for the CM 4251. This is a BIG dish-type UHF antenna - a 7' diameter wire parabola feeding a dual bow-tie, so caution and planning is the order of the day if you're prone to high wind episodes.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Ray.

I am getting my duck in a row, so to speak.

We live in Kitty Hawk, NC. The reason the Wright Brothers came here to test flight was precisely becuase of the wind http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I want to investigate the issues before I take the plunge.

I also expect a lot of grief from the town I live in about an antenna outside.

Chuck

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Your House, and Tidewater,VA are your "Local" stations ? - No problem - see http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html . I've seen some pretty impressive antenna arrays on my way out there from Raleigh, especially just west of Manteo !!

·
Registered
196 Posts
From a quick scan of the DTV allocation lists, it looks like all of your DTV stations from the Hampton - Norfolk - Virginia Beach area are on UHF.

I recommend the following:

Channel Master 3021/4221 four-bay bowtie (it has more gain above CH 50)

Channel Master Titan 2 7775 UHF-only preamp (don't go with a combo VHF/UHF)

I use this combination to watch DTV from New York City stations that are 64 - 65 miles away.

Also, the CM 4308 can be modified to add 3 to 6 dB more gain in the UHF band. This involves re-shaping and trimming the driven element and remounting the trimmin the reflector.

If there is interest, I can post this mod on this site. It has also appeared on HDTV Magazine and HDTV-In-NYC (a yahoo site).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kevin:

Simple question, I hope. Do you run RG6 from the 3021/4221 down to the antenna input on your stb?

Also do you use a rotor? Do you do anything to make it more stable in wind?

Do you have a link to the allocation lists you referenced?

Sorry for being so clueless. Just discovered how good this stuff looks on the right gear and am new to it.

Scooper:

Thanks for the link. I actually live in Southern Shores and anticipate that I will need that link to clarify to the town my rights to do this.

Thanks guys for the help.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Chuck,

I recommend the setup that Scott mentions. I have the same setup (CM4248) and live 60 miles (actually 58.6) from local broadcast stations in Washington DC, and I get signal strength with the Echostar HD6000 of between 82 and 94 percent. The CM4248 will cost about $100 but it is a very good, strong antenna that could easily weather the winds you have in the Outer Banks.

I used RG6 from the mast-mounted preamp to the power supply inside, then to my STB. My mast has four guy wires connected to roof - you might want to consult a professional installer in the area to get a recommendation.

NAB site - http://www.nab.org/newsroom/pressrel/dtvstations.asp which lists DTV stations in operation.

Another good site is http://www.titantv.com , check out My Channels and the Antenna Selector - only for other pertinent information, not the recommendations http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Good luck!

------------------
Jody Carbone

Equipment & DVD List
Stop DFAST and DVI/HDCP!!!

Protect your rights to view HDTV while you still have them!

[This message has been edited by Nethawk (edited 03-19-2001).]

·
Registered
891 Posts
I know Radio Shack misrepresents the ability of their antennas, but are any of them comparable to the Channel Masters? I really have no idea where to get a CM locally and my install is Saturday, which would require extra shipping charges which I would like to avoid if I could.

Any R. Shack antennas comparable? Any recommendations for 45 miles from the towers?

Thanks,

Neal

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know RS gear gets bashed on this board, but my rig works perfectly for me and the return policy/convenience can't be beat. And, the price is right.

The RS U120R (RS cat number 15-2162)is comparable to a CM 4248. The spec sheet says UHF gain is 11.7 db and UHF Band Chan. Average Gain is 13.7 db. Media Av. front/back ratio is 20+. As I recall, mine was under $50 with tax, no shipping.

My ant. is mounted on a 5 foot pole on a short 2nd-story chimney. Picking up signals from 45 miles away, solid and no dropouts with a variable gain (up to +26 db) in-line amp.

If you decide to try the RS rig, get the amp; you can easily return for refund if it turns out you don't need it.

Don

·
Registered
891 Posts
Thanks for the info on the antenna. Did you buy the in-line amp at radio shack also? Remember the part number or how much it cost?

thanks again,

Neal

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jody.

Wonder if you guys would look at the following and tell me if this looks like it will work:

Channel master 4248 antenna

Titan preamp 7777

RG6 into the preamp from the antenna. Out of the preamp to the RCA DTC100 antenna port?

Guy wires for stability?

Is there also a grounding screw on the antenna mast for lightening?

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
630 Posts
The reason I mentioned the 7777 instead of the 7775 UHF only amp is that the 7777 has a switch to allow separate UHF/VHF input . It also amplifies them separately. So, you get no performance loss, and for only 5-10 dollars more, you have the ability to amplify VHF in the future if you situation/needs change.

As far as prices go, check out www.consumer-direct.com

They have the CM 9521 IR controlled rotor for 64.95 and the CM 4248 for 29.95. I use them regularly and find their service excellent.

Scott

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you use the tripod I mentioned at the crest of your roof, you will not need any guywires. Buy a section of antenna mast. Cut off a setion long enough to fit into the tripod and about 12 inches beyond it. Then install the rotor on that section. then, cut another piece of mast and use it to mount the antenna into the rotor. This piece needs to be long enough so that the bottom corner reflector is at least 6 inches or so above the rotor. This setup is relatively low profile and thus very wind stable. If I had a digital camera, I'd post a pic, but i don't.

Scott

·
Registered
848 Posts
Scott:

I don't know that much about antenna design or theory, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Why does the bottom corner reflector need to be above the rotor? It kind of seems like the rotor would be "shielded" from by the reflectors.

Thanks,

yogaman

·
Registered
143 Posts
To: pgatour:

The RS in-line amp which I'm quite satisfied with is Cat. # 15-1113C (UHF/VHF/FM High-Gain Signal Amplifier). It cost around $27. I've reproduced the specs, below. There is a variable gain control and a switchable FM trap.

Don

--------------------

Bandwidth: 54-890 MHz

Max Gain: > 25dB

Gain Control: 10 plus/minus 2 dBb

Max Output: 62 dB mV

Noise Figure: 6 dB max

Impedence: In/Out, 75 Ohm

Power Reqts: 120 VAC, 60 Hz, 3.6 W

FM Trap Attenuation Rejection Band: 95-108 MHz (20 dB switchable)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Don,

thanks for the information. I will check that out. Unfortunately, I have more time to check it out than I was hoping. Seems the bank isn't to quick with the paperwork for closing on the house, so it has been pushed back from saturday to sometime next week.

Oh well

Thanks again,

neal

·
Registered
630 Posts
yogaman,

on the Cm4248 the mast is mounted near the middle of the antenna (at the center of gravity). The mast is actually in front of the corner reflector. If the rotor were in front of the reflector, I believe it would affect the antenna's performance.

Scott

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.