AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am taking the plunge and was wondering if anyone out there is from the RTP area and can suggest an OTA antenna setup for my attic? I live near I-40 Exit 276.

All advice welcome.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
tczupka,

Call WRAL TV 5 they will give you a free over the air HDTV antenna. I checked with Now Audio of Gleenwood Ave and the recommended the one from WRAL

------------------

1 SAT-T60

2 SRV-2000

·
Registered
623 Posts
Since you don't live that far from the towers you can have a variety of options. Your primary concern now maybe how much room you have in your attic and whether or not you are interesting in picking up more distant stations.

For example I would like to know if anyone in the triangle can pick up WXII(31)from W-S. They just started DTV testing this week and are currently broadcasting from 5-11pm. I am not sure but it seems that if NBC broadcasts "Crossing Jordan" in HD tommorrow night they might have the capability to pass it through. If you can pick it up I like to know what antenna setup you've got.

------------------

nick

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
All stations currently doing DTV in the Triangle have their broadcasting antennas near Clayton (close to the intersection of US70 and I40). Try the following sites for an antenna recommendation - www.antennaweb.org www.titantv.com

As for a place to buy one - I didn't have too much luck using Radio Shack outside antennas - I'm in the middle of a forest which tends to cause UHF reception problems. I think I finally have my reception problems solved using a Winegard AP4800. http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm has a good selection of ChannelMaster and Winegards which should work great. If you can receive WRAZ (FOX50) nice and clear, you should have NO problems with DTV.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
zmeister:

Do you know of a reason 17.1 won't be passing the HD feed? I'm not sure why you think you need the NBC HD feed from WS unless you're just from there and want it.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Well I am taking the plunge and was wondering if anyone out there is from the RTP area...
Welcome to the OLDEST HDTV market in the US! LOL I've had HDTV in my home for over 3 years. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

If you don't want to put up an exterior antenna and OTA digital is your only requirement (you don't give a flip about VHF), take a look at the Silver Sensor. You should be very pleased with it based on your proximity to Clayton.

Personally, I use a ChannelMaster StealthTenna and have written about my successes with it here at AVS many times.

Good luck.

------------------

·
Registered
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LearningMan:
zmeister:

Do you know of a reason 17.1 won't be passing the HD feed? I'm not sure why you think you need the NBC HD feed from WS unless you're just from there and want it.

Actually I'm not sure whether or not 17.1 will do it or not. I was under the impression they are able to now.(Leno is way past my bedtime) But actually I wanted to know if anybody down east could pick up their signal. You see the way I see it the more OTA-HD the better.

------------------

nick

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
zmeister:

Aside from Channel 12 (WCTI-ABC-48.x) in NewBern, noone east of Raleigh is broadcasting a digital signal. If you can't get NBC 17.1, you're probably SOL. Sorry.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LearningMan (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
623 Posts
Learning Man: You misunderstand! I pick up NBC17 and WXII 31 out of W-S. I was just curious to see if YOU or anyone in the triangle could pick up WXII.

Well right now the point maybe moot because WXII is not broadcasting a the moment. I assume that their test is over. If they start up again I'll let you know!

------------------

nick

[This message has been edited by zmeister (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
zmeister:

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

No. I am about 40 miles east of Raleigh and I can't get squat from 31.x (Winston). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.