AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home is down in a valley and i think i need to put my HDTV OTA antenna up 30 or 40 feet high in my backyard. Any ideas or recommendations on a tower to use(make/model)?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Lariat,

There's a hill about 5 miles away between me and the transmitters. I had no success recieving OTA until I got an antenna up high -- nothing solves reception problems as well as getting the antenna up as high as possible.

I used a Channel Master 50 ft. telescoping mast, model 1650. They're strong enough to hold a TV antenna, and alot cheaper than a full-blown tower -- the mast itself was about $95, and the guy cable, ground anchors, tensioners, etc. was probably another $200.

They can still be tricky to install, however. The mast itself has little strength until the guy cables are all tensioned. At least four people are needed for the "mast raising".

If you go this route, you may want to consider getting the 50 ft. mast and raising it only 30 ft. That way, if it turns out you need to go a bit higher you won't need to get a new mast. BTW, I'm working on a web page with photos, etc. of my installation. I'm hoping others will find it helpful.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do you have an antenna up now with poor reception. If not I would play around with an antenna up on your roof it that is an option, and see what you get. Chances are you will have to put up a tower, but it won't cost you much to play around up on your roof to make sure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.