AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this after trying many suggested indoor antenna tips to no avail. I get no better than 25% signal strength even after trying about five indoor antennas ranging from rabbit ears to amplified vhf/uhf models, a preamp and 6db attenuator in every imaginally spot plus on the second floor. Never a hair over 25%. I can pull in 5 out of 6 channels but the signal is prone to drop out since the signal isnt very strong. What confuses me is that I'm less than 3 miles from the towers with no buildings or hills...etc. Since an indoor antenna is my only option I was contemplating getting the Silver sensor antenna but I honestly dont think it'll help. Any other possible suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The best one I'm told is a radio shack double bowtie ($17 or so). Having said that, neither it or the silver sensor helped me, and I'm 3 miles away from the empire state building. Problem is not signal, its mulitpath. Worth a shot on the radioshack.

My next experiment is to try a channelmaster 3021, its 3'x2', but flat. Possible to hide away in a closet.

------------------

Alex

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Benk. Sounds like your in a well-shielded building, with some type of mesh screening built in the walls. If not, those are some strange results. You should try, if you haven't already, tuning in any non-digital UHF channels, with another set or your HDTV's NTSC section, just to see if it might be a HDTV tuner problem (OTA UHF means signals are getting through). If the building has a master antenna system, you might look into having it modified for UHF. Try calling the station(s) and ask engineering if they're at full power, or have any reception suggestions. Also, make use of the SEARCH function here. There are huge threads dealing with problems like yours, with lots of antenna suggestions. Similarly, try: http://groups.google.com/

I'm only 9 blocks from the Empire State building, and can receive CBS from it but not Fox HDTV (in a shielded medium-size apartment building). With a Silver Sensor antenna, movements of an inch or less can mean a picture or none. Suspect it's mostly reflections through the picture windows, since my site faces away from the transmitters. Often, trying for signals much farther away, the antenna must be pointed in nearly the opposite direction from the transmitter. At one time I picked up NBC's Leno show by pointing the flat side of the SS at the transmitter, then at low test power. Spent some time yesterday trying for our new PBS station, but mostly I'm getting negative signal-to-noise readings on my Philips RPTV, which displays an on-screen pattern that looks much like a spectrum analyzer. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks the welcome. After trying many antennas, locations and such I've determined its gotta be my hdtv decoder. I'm going to try a different decoder and see what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.