AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking for a good indoor antenna to receive HDTV in Terre Haute, IN and outlaying areas? Does anyone have some good recomindations for me? I have looked at winegard gs 2200, winegard ss 3000 or terk hdtvlp, terk hdtvi, antennas direct db2, zenith silver sensar. I am just wondering what is the best for indoor use. Any recomindations would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Well, for one, you don't mention how many miles away you are from the towers, or what outlying areas you want to pick up. Clarification is a wonderful thing.

That said, I've had pretty good success with the RadioShack 15-1868. It should available at any RadioShack store for $21, and though it might take some fiddling with the knob to get all the stations at once (although that applies with virtually all good indoor HD antennas), it's pretty solid within ten miles of TV towers. Outside of that range, it depends on topography and possibly tuning patience, but might be possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what antennaweb says:

* yellow - uhf WTHI-DT 10.1 CBS TERRE HAUTE IN 141° 1.1 24

red - uhf W43BV 43 TBN TERRE HAUTE IN 324° 2.3 43

red - vhf WTWO 2 NBC TERRE HAUTE IN 178° 16.3 2

red - vhf WTHI 10 CBS TERRE HAUTE IN 177° 16.3 10

blue - uhf WFXW 38 FOX TERRE HAUTE IN 179° 16.9 38

blue - uhf WICD 15 ABC CHAMPAIGN IL 330° 48.7 15

* violet - uhf WFXW-DT 39.1 FOX TERRE HAUTE IN 178° 17.0 39

violet - vhf WRTV 6 ABC INDIANAPOLIS IN 68° 70.9 6

violet - vhf WTTV 4 CW BLOOMINGTON IN 96° 67.9 4

violet - vhf WCIA 3 CBS CHAMPAIGN IL 311° 70.0 3

Looks like the locals for terre haute are between 1 and 20 mi. Also, I live on the second floor of an apartment building. What do you suggest for an indoor antenna? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
OK, this'll be FUN -- and I mean in a way that you shouldn't be surprised if you can't get all the stations, especially ABC. What direction does your apartment face? If it's generally to the south (you're fine if your apartment faces to the southeast or southwest), then it's easy for FOX, NBC, and CBS: Get a RadioShack 15-1868 for $21, and use the knob on it to tweak in all of those stations. You might not get TBN, but the others you'll do OK.

To get ABC, that would require someting on the lines of a "DB-2" antenna from AntennasDirect.com, pointed toward Champaign or Indy. You'll need to create a stand, but the DB-2's the best indoor UHF antenna there is. If you can't get ABC with that, it's all outdoor antennas from there...

But with the DB-2 there's an issue: In 2009, your local CBS affiliate will move to the VHF band, and the DB-2 isn't designed for VHF reception. The 15-1868 is.

By the way, if your apartment faces more to the north than the south, feel free to reply saying so. If it does apply, things get kind of tricky...

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpell3 /forum/post/0

Here is what antennaweb says:

* yellow - uhf WTHI-DT 10.1 CBS TERRE HAUTE IN 141° 1.1 24

* violet - uhf WFXW-DT 39.1 FOX TERRE HAUTE IN 178° 17.0 39

Looks like the locals for terre haute are between 1 and 20 mi. Also, I live on the second floor of an apartment building. What do you suggest for an indoor antenna? Thanks!

It would be more mure useful if you were to provide your zip code. Antennaweb is very conservative on what digital stations can be received and by entering your zip code and a high fake antenna height of 150', 200' or higher for hilly country, we can get a more complete list of the digital stations in your vicinity. For example, WTWO-DT NBC 2 is broadcasting digitally on UHF 36, but antennaweb does not show it, probably because WTWO-DT 2 (36) is still listed at STA low power of a measly 1.92 KW. WTWO is owned by NexStar broadcasting and that is not good because they are dragging their feet on going full digital power on many stations they own.

Are you interested in only the digital stations or do you want to get the analog stations as well? If you want the analog stations, you will need a VHF antenna component.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses! My apartment faces N to NW. My zip is 47807. I don't think it will be a problem to pick up wthi though. I saw the radio shack antenna 15-1868. People have been telling me to look at the zenith or philips silver sensor and the terk Hdtvi or hdtva. What do you think? Has anyone had experience with the winegard gs2200? I was told it was pretty good as well. I am still in the buying process of finding a tuner for my TV. I have been looking at the sirt151 and the sirt451. Any opinions on these tuners? Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpell3 /forum/post/0

Thanks for all the responses! My apartment faces N to NW. My zip is 47807. I don't think it will be a problem to pick up wthi though. I saw the radio shack antenna 15-1868. People have been telling me to look at the zenith or philips silver sensor and the terk Hdtvi or hdtva. What do you think? Has anyone had experience with the winegard gs2200? I was told it was pretty good as well. I am still in the buying process of finding a tuner for my TV. I have been looking at the sirt151 and the sirt451. Any opinions on these tuners? Thanks again!

Looking at antennaweb, it only shows 3 digital stations in Terre Haute. Looking at the Indianapolis & Terra Haute thread, I see you are posting there, so they can answer the questions about the digital locals.

The Terk HDTVi is a unamplified Silver Sensor UHF antenna with VHF rabbit ears. The HDTVa is a version with a built-in amplifiers and in general, the built-in amplifiers are pretty crappy. It you want to get the analog stations, you will need an antenna with VHF reception. If digital only, the three digital stations are all UHF, so get a good UHF antenna. But one of those digital stations is only 0.2 miles from the center of your zip code, so an amplified antenna is a bad idea that close to a broadcast tower. I would buy the non-amplified terk HDTVi (with the rabbit ears) locally (so you can return it if it does not work out) and give it a try. Avoid the overpriced fancy looking Terk and other antennas with buil-in amps as they usually provide poor performance for the money.

As for the tuner, both the SIR-T151 and SIR-T451 are discontinued models. Are you looking to get a used tuner or one from a close-out sale? Warning, the SIR-T451 is a digital ATSC tuner only, it does not have a analog NTSC tuner. The current Samsung model is the DTB-H260F which lists for $179 and is also digital ATSC & QAM only. It is getting very high marks for performance in multi-path and locking onto previously weak stations, but it is in short supply. Check the long thread on the H260F in this forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I ordered a Samsung SAM DTB-H260F for $180 from Circuit City. Aparently, it is Samsung's newer model. I also went to circuit city and bought a Philips PHDTV3 antenna for $50. Aparently, it is just like the zenith silver sensor antenna, but in a plastic casing and amplifier. I looked for the other and I couldn't find the hdtvi or the philips silver sensor anywhere. I tested it on an analog tv and was able to pick up all locals and channel 15 in champaign, 48 miles away. We will see how it does when I get the receiver. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
51 Posts
well I'm not in terre haute, but in the same area, although much farther out. say 70+ miles, plus I have different stations from different markets, so I know a rotor will be required. Now I have a question on the antennaweb height deal. Is that more for height of your antenna, height above sea level, tv station tower height, I'm real confused here. my zip is 62839. I know I'll need it to be mounted outside, and maybe a lot taller than my house (one story ranch home). I did the height of 200 feet and here's what it showed:

yellow - vhf WPXS 13 IND MOUNT VERNON IL 251° 25.9 13

yellow - uhf WUSI 16 PBS Olney IL 60° 21.7 16

* yellow - uhf WUSI-DT 16.1 PBS OLNEY IL 60° 21.7 19

green - uhf WNOI-LP 24 FMN FLORA IL 97° 6.5 24

blue - uhf WVUT 22 PBS VINCENNES IN 93° 53.7 22

blue - vhf WTVW 7 FOX EVANSVILLE IN 128° 75.1 7

blue - uhf WEIL-LP 54 CW EFFINGHAM IL 359° 37.8 54

blue - vhf WTWO 2 NBC TERRE HAUTE IN 57° 70.2 2

blue - vhf WTHI 10 CBS TERRE HAUTE IN 57° 70.4 10

blue - uhf WEHT 25 ABC EVANSVILLE IN 140° 74.4 25

blue - uhf WFIE 14 NBC EVANSVILLE IN 138° 75.1 14

blue - vhf WSIU 8 PBS CARBONDALE IL 228° 57.4 8

violet - vhf WNIN 9 PBS EVANSVILLE IN 127° 80.8 9

violet - uhf WEVV 44 CBS EVANSVILLE IN 138° 74.1 44

violet - vhf WSIL 3 ABC HARRISBURG IL 198° 76.4 3

violet - uhf WFXW 38 FOX TERRE HAUTE IN 57° 69.5 38

A LOT of these stations have DT signals, but are not at full power yet btw except for WTHI and why they aren't there besides than antennaweb is too conservative. I know that for a fact because my grandma lives about 80 miles east of st. louis and can pick up all but 1 of the STL stations pretty clearly on analog on her antenna, I have no clue what it is as it was there when she moved in some 15 years ago, but it is set up maybe 5 feet at most above her house on a tower and antenna web shows her not getting ANY stl stations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received my DTB-H260F today. I hooked up the Philips PHDTV3 to it and can receive WTHI (10.1) 80%, WCID (15.1) 40% and WTWO (2.1) on and off. The amplifier in the antenna definitely helps. With the amplifier off 10.1 gets 40% and WCID and WTWO get nothing. Did WTWO already switch from 36.1 to 2.1, they must have. I am confused why I can get WCID (15.1) but WTWO (2.1) so horribly and WFXW (39.1) not at all. Overall, I am very pleased with the tuner and the antenna, for indoor (apartment) reception.

·
Registered
947 Posts
yellow - uhf WTHI-DT 10.1 CBS TERRE HAUTE IN 141° 1.1 24

if you are getting only 80 on wthi with amplification and 40 without...this hints towards home construction attenuating signal or severe blockage of signal.

red - vhf WTWO 2 NBC TERRE HAUTE IN 178° 16.3 2

violet - uhf WFXW-DT 39.1 FOX TERRE HAUTE IN 178° 17.0 39

these stations at 16-17 miles typically should be in the yellow to lt green range. red and violet hints of blockage of signal of some kind

blue - uhf WICD 15 ABC CHAMPAIGN IL 330° 48.7 15

50 miles is out of range for indoor antennas

an indoor antenna is dependable in the yellow/green and lt green with an amp. wtwo and wicd digital do not appear in your profile only the analog .

you may be SOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.