Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone tried using an indoor antenna/balcony antenna to get HD signals in a high rise building in NY city or other metropolitan areas?

I am trying to figure out if I can get a signal. I live within 5 miles of the transmitting stations.

I tried the $20 RS rabbit ears and got mostly snow on the TV.

Has anyone tried the Terk antennas or the Silver Sensor?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Getting very mixed results in a similar situation. From mid-town, 9 blocks from the ESB, and in a North-facing setup, I can tune CBS but not Fox with a Silver Sensor and my Philips 64PH9905's built-in HDTV tuner. WTC stations are poorly received, as are the others, due to multipath. WNET, on UHF 61 isn't tunable now, although I got it briefly early this week just as it went full power. Generally, the 'distant' WTC stations must be picked up by pointing the antenna northward, picking up reflections. As you can tell by reading similar Manhattan tales, sometimes tiny antenna movements of an inch or so spells success. You'd think buildings with a master antenna system but no UHF would benefit from an upgrade.

My experience is that NTSC UHF shows snow with my set's separate VHF/UHF tuner, but UHF HDTV requires prior antenna orientation using an on-screen tuning display, akin to a spectrum analyzer, that shows a string of multipath peaks and several other variables, including three 'locked-in' indicators. No snow, just large 'blocks' of partially digitized images or a black screen for bad reception. I've put off tinkering with tuning for months now until I'm sure stations are actually on the air full power, with a known schedule. Otherwise you're waving antennas around at nothing. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-14-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.