AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in southern california and heard that HDTV signals for all major stations are great here. Los Angeles area I live near Alhambra, San Gabriel (live in Rosemead). I was planning on putting those big antennas UHF in the attic and get a Sony HD-100 HDTV receiver. Anyone tried this yet?

------------------
http://www.ragingminds.com

Deals, Coupons & Freebies!

·
Registered
730 Posts
You never know until you try. I'd say buy the antenna and put in the attic w/o formally mounting it. If it works fine, then go ahead and mount it up there. If not, you are going up onto the roof.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Generally, antennas do not perform optimally in an attic. Even when an antenna will perform well outdoors, reception of TV signals in an attic can be make very difficult by interference from other electrical devices. The buildings construction can also hinder the entrance of the TV signal or cause reflection of the signal which leads to ghosting. Depending on the building construction, you can expect to lose at least 30% of the signal. In a house with aluminum siding, signal loss could be 100%. Outdoor installation is always best.

That being said, I am going to try an attic install in the new house I am currently building. Just hope for the best!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i have an attic install and have not had great luck. i live about 20 miles from the stations. i had it installed when i built the house. full meal deal calibrated as best possible. i get drop outs on nbc and cannot get abc most of the time. i have trees around me but i hear about people getting silver sensors and using them inside or in the basement and it works fine so i sense that uhf is not directional enough to be severly affected by trees. the outside of my house is a cemplank siding. it is a concrete impregnated fiber board that looks like cedar siding but has a half life of about a billion years. i suspect this is my problem.

i plan to get a uhf and mount it outdoors. here is the trick if you are building a house. i had a 24" square roof window installed in my attic. cost about $300. it opens and is watertight. the window company supplied it and i slipped the roofer a few bucks to put it in. i have a ladder permenantly installed in the attic. i saved about $300 on sat dish install (our roof lines here are very steep). this was one of the best things i did. when i want to do something like this i just go up the ladder, open the window, stick my head out and work on the dishes.

not on topic but i thought i would mention it since pence said he is building.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an attic install that is now working fine (after some initial problems with the local CBS transmission). I'm about 8 miles from the transmitters, but slightly on the backside of a hill (which caused multipath problems, and prevented me from picking up anything using an indoor antenna). I get occassional dropouts on NBC, but otherwise things look pretty good. FYI I'm just outside of Cincinnati, Ohio, and my house exterior is brick, with asphalt shingles.

[This message has been edited by Chiller (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

I have had an attic antenna for a year and a half. Works fine with both DTC100 and with HD-100. When I was first installing it with the RCA box I was having trouble so I mounted a Radio Shack motorized base under it. I moved the antenna one time, found that I had it 90 degrees from an optimal setting and never moved the thing again. Now all four stations come in at 100%. Art

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've used an in attic installation with good success. In the Washington/Baltimore area a rotor is needed due to the station separation. I've also followed advice about slight tilt in UHF antennas reduce interference problems. Also performace of the antenna can be influenced by minor changes in height and overall placement of only a few inches. See my web page for a picture of the installation with the tilt mechanism.

------------------

Tom Pfarr
http://www.toad.net/~tpfarr/Hometheater.htm

[This message has been edited by tpfarr (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have a Rat Shack 121" combo UHF/VHF/FM boom in my attic hooked to a Dish 6000 with no problems. I am 40 miles from the towers over fairly flat land. All digitals tune in at > 65% signal strength with no dropouts. The analog channels are OK except Channel 2 has wavy lines and snow. The only way I can get WB right now is via my Dish 6000 analog and it looks better than my local cable signal (AT&T).

FWIW, I am in a duplex and my antenna is staring straight at the firewall between our houses and the signals are coming from the other side of the firewall. I am lucky that all my stations are broadcasting from the same general direction.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
750 Posts
I use an attic installation in Atlanta. I'm in a fairly hilly area, lots of tall trees, and about 20 miles from the transmitters (though they are all on about the same line). I use an unamplified Terk 55 and a Radio Shack double bow tie with excellent results. The Terk is mainly to get a signal from WXIA-DT channel 10. The double bow tie alone picks up the three DT UHF stations without a problem (19, 27, and 39).

A caveat. I have a fairly flat roof line. The double bow tie was actually quite picky about which direction it was aimed AND how it was tilted. I think this is because of it being in the attic. I also tried several places in the attic (my attic spans a 20' x 100' area. So, it took some time up there to find the sweet spot. My impression is that there were many. But, between getting Channel 10 through the Terk and placing the RS antenna near that, I had to find a spot where both were happy.

For reference: I use a Toshiba DST-3000

Do a search for the Sony. Before getting the Toshiba, I had planned on getting the Sony (to match up with my Wega). But in Atlanta, there was a serious issue with the Sony STB that caused it not to receive channel 10. Your search should dig up a reference to this and the fact that Sony was supposedly working on a software upgrade. I recall others in other cities having similar issues to those we have in Atlanta. I don't remember whether people in your area had problems or not.

------------------

-Jason

[This message has been edited by JasonATL (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an attic install of a Channelmaster 3021 here in southern California combined with a Sony HD100 and it works great, but it all depends on the area you are in. I would read the thread about Mount Wilson to get a better idea of antennas that might work for you.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I would start with one of the cheapest good antennas, the Radio Shack double bowtie antenna, about $15, and set it on top of your receiver. See what you can get with this before you go to the expense and trouble of mounting a large antenna in your attic.

I live in San Diego and can usually get 2-3 stations from LA with this antenna. I can get the two San Diego stations that broadcast from the nearest broadcast location, but not the other two which broadcast at lower power from a location about 17 miles away.

Start cheaper and then work your way up if necessary.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think this is going to be the only solution if your HOA harrases you with an outdoor antenna. In my area, we don't have HD broadcast yet. But indoor antenna for annalog OTA signals is not good either. I think I am going to think of trying an attic antenna!

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I use a cheap RS rabbit ears for VHF in the attic (not even mounted) and a Silver Sensor for UHF on top of my HDTV (on the *first* floor), and get adequate reception with both. I can only imagine how much better the SS would be if I elevated it more. Bottom line, I prefer indoor/attic antennas for two reasons:

1) Last longer because there not exposed to the elements (and don't get knocked down)

2) The fact is poorly placed outdoor antennas just look bad

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Go to this link to find out where your local broadcast antennas are located. This will give you a good idea of where to aim the antenna.

http://radiostation.com/kodis/

-phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.