AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently picked up an HD OTA antennae - my first ever. The TV I have is Cable CARD ready, and I would assume has the proper decoders for OTA signals. I *think* I have 1, maybe 2 stations available digital, but I'm not sure. Here's my questions:

1). On this TV, with CableCARD capabilities, will the ant. plug into ant1, which it appears is the cable input?

2). If I do indeed have these OTA signals available, will it be apparent if I have them or not? I've heard digital is either there, or not at all.

3). Ant. being in the basement of the house going to be a detrimental factor? Will doing a long run of coax (25ft maybe?) be bad? What's the best coax to use for such a thing? RG6 or 59?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
use RG6.

25+ feet should be no problem with good solid connections.

Yes, the basement placement could be VERY detrimental to receiving acceptable ota signals.

Try the ota antennea in the attic NOT the basement. Higher placemtn is better. other factors will include distance and direction from broadcast towers, type of antennea used, large small indoor outdoor etc. if your in the right spot you could get great reception with a simple rabbit ear wire. or depending on distance direction hills buildings mutipath problems etc it could be very difficult.

Yes, the hd/digital channels will either show correctly or not at all, but is directly determined on how much signal quality you can get into the mits tv hd (atsc) tuner.

So you would get the same pic quality if you were getting a 90% signal as you would getting a 65% signal. But say at 60% you might not get a picture at all. (not exact many variables on percentages, tuners, sets etc...)

the analog (ntsc) channels will be of varying quality depending on the signal quality.

say at 95% you got a pretty good sd picture, at 75% you get a average sd picture, may see a little noise (snow/blurring). and at 65% you get poor picture, but at 60% you still get a picutre just more and more noise/snow blurring as the percentages go down.

your mits should have an ANT input to hook the rg6 from a ota antennea up to.

the cablecard is seperate from your mits regular SD and HD tuners.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The last poster covered most of your questions. To fill a little more:

Your Mits has both an ANT-1 and ANT-2 input. Either may be used for OTA. I use ANT-1 for cable and ANT-2 for OTA but this does not need to be this way.

RG6 is the better cable as it has a lower line loss by a few dB per 100' and also reportedly has better quality shielding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.