AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That guy is an idiot and needs to read this board..

He says this technology is confusing and HDTV will be obsolete next year..

He tried to watch HDTV with a free direcTV receiver...

Anyone read the article?

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
This guy says he did his homework. Yeah right! Where is the mention of HDNET? There are 8 digital stations on the air in SF. It is not rocket science to adjust an antenna. What did this guy do, just pop it up on the roof and not adjust it?

My favorite quote is "Having done my homework, I figured I could at least receive a ghost-free digital signal in San Francisco, where most stations had long since begun offering digital feeds. Wrong again. Another lesson: You need an antenna to pull the digital signal out of the air."

What, does this guy think a signal just pops in your set via pure fricken magic? You know all of those people pulling in tv signals without an antenna. Geez...what an idiot!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arthurvino
That guy is an idiot and needs to read this board..

He says this technology is confusing and HDTV will be obsolete next year..

He tried to watch HDTV with a free direcTV receiver...

Anyone read the article?
The "obsolete next year" reference is in regard to DVI connectors, obsoleting $4 billion worth of existing DTV's out there right now (could that be an accurate number?). He wasn't suggesting that HDTV as a technology would be obsolete, although he was certainly implying that existing users are about to get screwed if the Hollywood studios get their way and grandfathering isn't built in.

As far as his characterization of the technology as "confusing", I would definitely have to agree. I'm not a rookie, but every time I describe my setup to interested non-idiot listeners I am reminded of an Australian trying to describe the rules of Cricket to me. It sounds like he's making it up as he goes along, it's so unbelievably complicated. In fact it's downright amusing it's so complicated and filled with "gotcha's".

It's a fact... Dish is incompatible with DirectTV. Different receivers. HDTV is not SD, and the receivers are again different. And local networks require an off-air antenna for DTV reception, which may or may not even be receivable depending on where you live. Of course people stopped using antennas when cable came out, and probably don't even have access to or the ability to install an antenna. And cable companies mostly do not (yet) provide digital local network channels, and even if they did that would require yet a different STB to receive DTV. And you can't record HDTV programming unless you were lucky enough to buy Panasonic DST50/PVHD100 equipment a few years back before it was yanked from the market and also are a Dish subscriber, or unless you've invested lots of brainpower and money into HTPC setups. And even then you can't record all HDTV off of DirectTV (yet) with non-HTPC hardware. And you really do need separate dishes to recieve the satellite-provided HD channels, separate from the ones you already have for the SD channels. And that needs switches and effort and installation brains, not to mention someplace to mount all of these dishes. And sets with built-in satellite receivers are for DirectTV only. And only CBS-HD has arranged for (possible) delivery to Dish customers only, but only if you live in the right area or have a waiver or pay some money. No other networks deliver HD by satellite (yet). And I could go on and on. It's just very messy.

Honestly... it IS confusing, unless you've been around the block with this technology (and satellites) for a few years. Listen to the questions asked by "newbies". This is definitely not a toaster that you take out of a box, plug in, and use. And it's truly not very user-friendly yet.

And you can't record HDTV programming, at least not very easily. And that' is going to surprise a lot of people, and disappoint them.

Don't get me wrong - I can't live without my HDTV and associated setup. But it is definitely not for rookies. I think the author was not an idiot. He was going through what probably is going to be a typical experience for average Joe Blow users who are sold hardware from Circuit City. And this technology is not yet for the average Joe Blow. Let's just admit it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone should email business week and have this CLiff Edwards guy sent off to high school or looking for a new job..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DSperber
Honestly... it IS confusing, unless you've been around the block with this technology (and satellites) for a few years. Listen to the questions asked by "newbies". This is definitely not a toaster that you take out of a box, plug in, and use. And it's truly not very user-friendly yet.
HDTV doesn't have to be any more complicated than current DSS. Sets with integrated tuners are especially easy to set up -- almost like toasters. The F38310 comes out of the box, slap on the rabbit ears, and 75% of the people in the Boise metro area can start watching 4 digital stations. The other 25% may need to put up an antenna like our fathers did before cable. Getting HBO, Showtime, and HDNet is as simple as having the same installer that put up the small dish come out and put up the new dish. What's the big deal?

It's harder than cable, but so is DSS, and Dish and DirecTV seem to be doing just fine. And, as the cable companies come online, it will be just as simple as cable.

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree that setting up the tv isn't the easiest thing to do, but I have a feeling this guy is pushing buttons on his microwave oven trying to get HDNET. Not the brightest bulb in the pack....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought the Businessweek article was good The writer highlighted one very important point: In order for this technology to succeed, the learning curve has to flatten out.

I was going to make a long winded post about my successful but entirely frustrating foray into HDTV but DSperber eloquently summarized my feelings on the topic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think for most people it's only as difficult as you make it. Anyone who uses dish or Directv now should be able to handle HD through satellite.

And if you buy a set with an integrated tuner, it can be as simple as hooking up an antenna. I realize that some people have problems getting and locking in a good signal, but that's always been a problem the biggest difference is instead of fuzzy channels you don't get them at all.

I was one of the lucky ones, I don't have Satellite, but for OTA I use the Samsung box, and within 5 minutes of slapping an antenna on the roof, I had all locals in my area. Seven months later have never had a dropout other than the occasional broadcast problem from the stations.

I don't want to say that it is easy for all, but I also don't think we should generalize that it's a exhausting experience.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Guys, why on earth do you take these articles so personally? First-person experience stories are going to vary from person to person. They have for many, many years about many, many topics. So this guy had a bad experience. He's not the only one you know.

Do you guys read the posts around here? I'd say at least 50 percent deal with some sort of problem, and we're - allegedly - the ones who have taken the time to figure out what needs to be done.

People don't want to slap an antenna on their roof. How many of your wives had absolutely no problem with getting an antenna? Now couple an antenna with a satellite dish. Then couple it with high priced televisions, STBs - many of which are incredibly flawed - drilling holes in your home to accomodate more than a single coax wire because the signals can't be split like cable. There are so many variables that many of us don't stop to consider when thinking about this technology going mainstream.

IMHO, prices need to come down firstly. Secondly, once cable companies get on board - not satellite mind you - is when I think HD will take off. People have their homes wired for cable already and are happy with what they receive. There aren't many people outside of this group that are going to want to re-do their exisiting TV setup. So once the HD signals are flowing en masse over cable wires, I think the revolution will begin.

But until then, relax. Go back a few years and read some first person accounts of horrible DVD, VCR, PC, etc. experiences. And all those technologies are alive and kicking quite well thank you very much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:
Guys, why on earth do you take these articles so personally?
I think that it's not so much taking them personally as being outraged at the damage that's being done by these ill-informed diatribes.

This type of article is probably enough to discourage many "newbies" who are on the cusp of taking the plunge. Yes, it's not simple, but it's not all that difficult either if you take some time to learn. There are most likely many potential users who won't bother once they've read this drivel.

Especially irritating is the lack of H/DTV proponent articles. When was the last time you read one of these pieces that actually extolled the virtues of the technology?

It's this kind of backwards-ignorant publicity that's going to delay the transition even further.

It's not personal.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I think the biggest problem I have with these articles is simply the authors, instead of being willing to admit or even consider they had a difficult time and making the effort to educate themselves on a better way of proceeding with the technology and make those recommendations. They write the technology off instead, as not ready for prime time etc....

Also I think alot of the time the press looks at new technologies with a negitive or atleast skeptical eye; especially those touted to be new, great, etc..

And frankly while offten many are blessed with the ablitiy to write many are not nessisary as smart as they beleive and have difficult with things outside of writing..

While this technology is not simple it is by no means difficult; my 66 year old mother was able without my help at all for me find the information and resources to get a hdtv setup working in my home as a christmas present... I agree its not much more difficult then dds

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
For me personally, setting up HDTV was not a big deal and although I do know my way around the block when it comes to satellite technology, I was further buoyed by the advent of HDTV through my local cable company (Rogers in Toronto). That was the icing on the cake that made it very easy for me to attain solid pictures from all five networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox) plus a movie channel or two just by having a decoder box sent to my house and hooking up the component cables to the proper input on the back of my TV. NOt being satisfied with that, I later went out and got some additional channels with a satellite dish and hooked that one up to a second HDTV input on the back of my TV.

Now, I will admit the setup was easy and it should be noted as such so that the average guy doesn't get scared into thinking he's in for a techno fiasco in his living room. However, I still maintain that where most people will be dissatisfied is in the lack of content, especially with the satellite providers. This is a chicken or the egg routine that we are experiencing and have seen many times before. People want content and the providers want more demand by their customers before complying. Articles such as the one provided in this thread may or may not hurt the cause depending on the exposure. In other ways, articles such as that one may inadvertantly help the cause by arousing attention to certain issues that need to be clarified.

·
Registered
289 Posts
We should just flood Newsweek's email with our complaints. Maybe they'll get the hint next time.

Otherwise, most major publication outfits will just do the same thing. Setting my system up was a pain in the ass. Having a defective HD receiver didn't help matters.

The reality of our world is that most ppl are accustomed to buying the TV and then plugging the cable into it. Yes, the guy is an idiot....but sad to say, there are more folks like him than us...let's say 100,000 to 1?

Dizzy

·
Registered
260 Posts
OK - zap - as of tomorrow, ALL TV WILL BE HDTV, AVAILABLE THROUGH CABLE, SATELLITE, OTA, OR WHATEVER. Do you really think that your TV Experience will improve THAT much?

I have 1000 (possible) channels, and the TV is on a lot... while I search through the channels once again, hoping that something will be worth watching. Why do you think DVDs sell so well? Somehow, I don't think that a drastically improved picture/sound will really improve this problem - we'll just see more of the warts.

The REAL problem with throwing money at TV is that it so rarely rewards that devotion. That's why you keep hearing "don't throw away your money" - they're not anti-tech philistines, they're realistic. Don't panic because The Majority doesn't agree with you! We have skewed priorities, that's all...

Video producers still haven't done stereo sound well, and that's been around for a while. A good display that only looks good with demo material is a tech toy. Chicken and egg problem, I know...

·
Registered
577 Posts
There are plenty of examples of routine, easy, successful, and uneventful installations of HDTV, like mine. An article about my routine installation would take up less than one paragraph: deliver to home, plug in, attach antenna, attach oval dish, boom, HDTV. But these don't make headlines or interesting reading. Magazines or newspapers can't survive on articles dealing with ordinary, routine stuff without problems, they need disasters, terrorist attacks, scandals, negative things .......

Anyone reading this forum for a few months before a HD purchase should be able to do better than this biased idiot writer. What BusinessWeek needs is another article of how to do it correctly and succesfully. Plenty of guys on this forum can do that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Folks like the author of this article who recoil in the confusion of our modern age are the same ones who inspired a joke 20 or more years ago about people who can't figure out how to set the clock on their VCR.

This guy's VCR has probably been blinking 12:00 ever since it was first plugged in.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
We should just flood Newsweek's email with our complaints. Maybe they'll get the hint next time.

Otherwise, most major publication outfits will just do the same thing. Setting my system up was a pain in the ass. Having a defective HD receiver didn't help matters.

The reality of our world is that most ppl are accustomed to buying the TV and then plugging the cable into it. Yes, the guy is an idiot....but sad to say, there are more folks like him than us...let's say 100,000 to 1?

Dizzy
I don't think it's fair to call someone an idiot because they don't share your enthusiasm and expertise toward a very narrow subject matter. You then go on to insinuate that 99.999% of the public are idiots.

The truth is that for most people this is a much lower priority. Those are the people to whom this article was addressed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spwace

The truth is that for most people this is a much lower priority. Those are the people to whom this article was addressed.
Which will make it an even lower priority. Remember, we need everyone to have HDTV as a priority, not a high one, but a priority never the less.

I had my sister read this article and she told me that if she hadn't seen HD at my house she wouldn't be interested in buying an HDTV. She also called the guy a buffoon, but admitted that she would have seen him as a savior, of her $, if she had no knowledge of HD. But she's a smart girl as is picking up a HDTV for her self.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.