AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The menu only shows 16x9 and I am unable to select it. I called Dish Network and they say they are working on new software to fix this problem. Right now the picture fills the whole screen and is stretched vertically to do so. I assume it is locked in a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Anyone know a work around?

This sucks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Assuming you're in HD mode, press the * button on the remote. It should cycle through it's several zoom modes. When it says normal, it should be 4:3.

Chuck Davis

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
The menu only shows 16x9 and I am unable to select it. I called Dish Network and they say they are working on new software to fix this problem. Right now the picture fills the whole screen and is stretched vertically to do so. I assume it is locked in a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Anyone know a work around?

This sucks.
Use the search feature (6000) of this forum to learn how it will soon unsuck.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried cycling the different modes, the info bar does indicate the other modes, but the picture is still filling the screen. I think no matter what the mode is, it is still stuck in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I asked Dish Network when the new software will be out. They said, maybe tommorrow, maybe next week, then I said maybe in 2-1/2 years? Who knows? They said they try to fix things as soon as possible, but the 6000 has been out almost a year and still no fix.

I also just noticed (I installed the Dish300 today) that the audio is very low on the HD channels, is this the same for others?

Glenn

·
Registered
681 Posts
HDTV is 16x9. It's supposed to fill the screen.

Do you have a 4x3 TV that doesn't vertically squeeze 1080i signals?

-Jonathan

·
Registered
632 Posts
They are working on a mode to put letterbox bars in the signal for 4:3 TVs that can't properly handle HDTV signals.

This will reduce your vertical resolution a little bit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There was just an update a couple weeks ago for other issues. I hope the next update comes soon. And yes, the HD audio is very low. Not a big problem, I can live with it. Most people have it hooked to a home theater setup anyway so it still sounds great, just lower then the other channels. It does seem strange that it has been out a year and they still have not addressed all the issues. Looks like you came out with the hardware before the software was even close to being ready. I have read that OpenTV is not supported (as the sticker on the back states it is), because there is not enough memory in the units. Very short sighted. I love the reciever, seems like it was well thought out, but just came out beforte it was ready. Now I have spent hundreds of dollars on a reciever that is not what was stated. I did not know what OpenTV was, but it sounded good. It seemed like the Dish 6000 was the top of the line, upgradable unit. I spent the money and then found out otherwise. It seems if they stated (and put stickers on the units) stating OpenTV compatability, then they should deliver. It the unit can't do it, then they should replace them all. Other companies have done similar things. But anyway, enough venting, it does seem they are trying to make most of the bugs go away and add the features we want, but just to slowly...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glenn-

The new software update fixes the problems you are describing. There will be a setup option to choose 16:9, 4:3 w/aspect ratio control, and 4:3 w/out aspect ratio control. In all modes there will be various ratio controls including stretch, zoom, letterbox, and gray bars. I would be very surprised if the update is not released in the next couple of weeks. The audio is low to allow for better dynamic range much like DVD levels. I don't know why the demo channel is much lower than anything else.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PCMAN,

I know what you mean, I buy a expensive HDTV ready TV, then I buy an expensive HDTV receiver. You would think that now I would be able to watch HDTV? No?

Scott,

The new software sounds good, I hope it does come out soon. I feel sorry for the people that have already been waiting for many months.

I did find that in SD mode the picture displays in widescreen. At least I can use the HD channels for 480i widescreen with 5.1 DD, thats not too bad. The audio sounds ok, just low, if it is like that for a good reason, I can live with that.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It may suck, but why are you blaming Dish?

Your TV is taking an EIA-standard HD component signal, which is defined as 16:9, and displaying it incorrectly as if it was a 4:3 signal. If anything, you should be complaining to the TV manufacturer.

Of course, if your TV did put bars on the top and bottom to display 16:9 in the correct aspect ratio, as some do, then you might be complaining that 4:3 content on the HD outputs appear on your set as a "box in a box".

Dish is being nice guys to work on an update to handle these various flavors of non-standard 4:3 "HD ready" TVs. But remember the problem is with the TVs themselves.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My TV does not have any problem displaying 16x9 format being output from my DVD player.

Glenn

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 1999 Mits VS-50803 4:3 has always worked fine with my Dish 6000. 16:9 displays as 16:9 with top and bottom bars in HD mode. SD widescreen displays with top and bottom bars. SD 4:3 fills the screen. Sony DVD player works fine also. I agree with previous poster...complain to your TV manufacturer. I have NO problem with Dish.

Check out http://www.*************** and see if you can find out any info directly relating to your TV manufacturer. Lots of great tweaks!

Impala Bob

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Glenn,

As stated previously, the standard HD signal is standard 16x9. Period dot. It is 1920x1080 pixels in an interlaced format and to my knowledge NO other STB has the feature that the 6000 will soon have. Your DVD is either 480i or 480p and has a different/easier scan frequency to meet than the HD signal.

To reiterate, this is not a Dish 6000 issue. Please try other STB manufacturers, but you will not find this "feature" vs. "fix." You would also do well to take Jerry's advice and find the info on the updates which is very informative.

Tim

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
My TV does not have any problem displaying 16x9 format being output from my DVD player.

Glenn
That's because you have you DVD player set to letterbox, set it to widescreen/16x9 and the same thing would happen. You dvd player is converting 16x9 to letterbox(some do it ok and other do it very bad) but there isn't a stb device out there that I know if that converts HD to letterbox. Some tv's will squeeze HD just like they squeeze 16x9 DVD movies. Does your tv support HD squeeze? What model tv do you have?

Harlock

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wish it would allow me to output 480p so that I could use my TV's aspect ratio features. Or maybe even 480i on the component output.

I guess I can switch to 480i.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by harlock:
but there isn't a stb device out there that I know if that converts HD to letterbox.
Hmm . . .I wonder what happens if I tune into HBO-HD and then set the mdoel 6000 to "SD" (standard def) mode. I'll try it tonight and let you know.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Glenn,

If you're viewing on a 4:3 tv, the HD output of the 6000 will look vertically stretched/horizontally compressed. You're tv, if it's 4:3, apparently doesn't have a 16:9 mode. So there is nothing wrong with your 6000. Actually, you should want the 6000 to work in 4:3 mode. However, in all cases the 6000 is locked into 16:9 mode (even though you may appear to have 4:3 selected) -- for now, until the next software update (I hope).

Sean

[This message has been edited by Sean_S (edited 03-30-2001).]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Okay, so I'm going to try and explain the whole situation completely. Maybe it won't help. Maybe it will. We'll see.

Glenn_L, you have a 4:3 HD-ready TV. Your Dish 6000 has a setting for the aspect ratio -of your TV-. This, at present, only has one option, which is 16:9. This option is the one presently selected, as the radio button has a white dot in the middle, indicating that it is active. Presently the Dish 6000 does not support displaying HD on 4:3 HD-ready TVs which can't just pretend to be 16:9 (as some can). So, right now, the 6000 only outputs a 16:9 aspect ration signal without any black bars or other filler. When attached to a 16:9 HD-ready TV, it fills the screen, creating an appropriate 16:9 picture. However, many 4:3 HD-ready TVs also display this signal by filling the screen with it. This is what is happening with your television. In order for an HD signal to display with the proper aspect ratio on these sets, the signal must be squeezed vertically and have black (or grey or whatever) bars inserted at the top and bottom. The 6000 does not, at present, have this capability (nor are they advertising it to). It is not a flaw or bug in the 6000, but rather a lack of support for 16:9 HD in your TV. However, Dish has promised that in a future software update, they will add support for this. Under current standards, the TV you own could not be advertised as an HD display. It would seem then, most apropriate to complain to your TV manufacturer or salesman, however, patience will solve your problem in time (to an extent. After all, you still won't have 1080 lines between the black bars as full HD would).

Keith

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KeithIrwin:
However, many 4:3 HD-ready TVs also display this signal by filling the screen with it. This is what is happening with your television. In order for an HD signal to display with the proper aspect ratio on these sets, the signal must be squeezed vertically and have black (or grey or whatever) bars inserted at the top and bottom. The 6000 does not, at present, have this capability (nor are they advertising it to). It is not a flaw or bug in the 6000, but rather a lack of support for 16:9 HD in your TV. However, Dish has promised that in a future software update, they will add support for this.
The new feature is very similar to what a DVD player has to do when you play a widescreen-enhanced (amamorphic) DVD and the DVD player is in 4x3 mode. The receiver throws out scanlines and inserts black bars, thus sending your TV a picture where the active portion has been vertically compressed.

IMHO, Dish is being very generous to develop this feature for the 6000 to make it compatible with TVs that don't properly display 1080i. They saved your (Glenn's) TV from becoming an expensive boat anchor.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies,

My TV is a Panasonic PT-61HX40, the specs state HDTV compatible with 1080i and states that a decoder would be required to view HDTV signals. I bought the TV 6 months ago as the first step towards viewing HDTV as well as progressive scan DVD in 480p format. Now I purchase a HDTV decoder only to find out it does not work, is this my fault?

If all it takes is a simple software update to make the hundreds of thousands of Panasonic HDTV compatible TV's purchased capable of actually veiwing a HDTV signal, that would be the correct way to solve this issue. What does it cost to pay a few programmers to write a code to burn into a eprom chip? I mean, how else can you decode a HDTV signal? You still need a 6000 with a 8VSB to decode the OTA signals.

DN would not be doing me a favor, they would be doing Panasonic and several other manufactures a favor. Why would anyone want to sign up with Dish Network if they don't support thier TV's format? If these sets are HDTV compatible, how else can they recieve a signal?

I did not buy a 16x9 set because I watch 4x3 85% of the time, I would watch more HD, but there is not enough programming in HD yet. At Frys, there is a large warning sign on the Mits 16x9 HDTV that states you must view in full screen mode 90% of the time to prevent damaging the set from burn-in.

Why does the letterbox format on channel 9430 and 9440 display properly in SD mode? Is it converting the signal somehow? If it can do it in SD mode, why not in HD? I love watching movies in widescreen, so at least I can still do this for now. If the 6000 can display widescreen in SD mode, can the 5000 do the same? If I had a 5000, I would go buy a Dish300 to tune in the HD channels in SD mode.

Thanks,

Glenn

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.