AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say I had Sat, cable and OTA installed. What all could expect to get in HDTV and were would be the best place to see a schedule for the day/week of HDTV?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Don.

I also need to find out if a 3rd LNB is needed to get ShowtimeHD from DirectTV? And also what about DiscoveryHD, will DirectTV be carrying it soon?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I also need to find out if a 3rd LNB is needed to get ShowtimeHD from DirectTV?
Yes it is. Call D* and order the Sat-C kit. I got mine for under $9 shipped.

-Robert

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Robert. Who is D*? Also how hard is it to install if the dish is on the top of the chimey 3 storys up?

·
Registered
611 Posts
D*= shorthand for direct tv.

Sat C kit is simple to install - trickiest part will be getting yourself three storeys high.

(mine is 2.5 storeys above ground level - when I wanted to rewire the multiswitch after re-arranging my receivers I rented a ladder from Home Depot and a truck to get the ladder home: cost me $70 and I half-killed myself with the exertion of positioning the ladder. For the Sat-C kit I called DirectTV and had them install it for $50)

Discovery HD on DirectTV has been discussed to death on this forum already - don't hold your breath.

Not sure where in PA you are, but in Philly CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX, UPN and WB are all available digital OTA from the Roxborough antenna farm and have varying amounts of HD & widescreen programming. With a reasonable size antenna and rotor you can pull in WLVT and WFMZ from Allentown and NJN.

I believe Comcast is carrying HBO, Showtime and Discovery HD plus all the major network affiliates except CBS on its HD service in the Philly area.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, maybe I will just get ShowtimeHD from Comcast.

I am pulling in some of the OTA digital stations but I think I need a better antenna. I have one now up on the chimney that gets me CBS 26-1, UPN 32-1, can't seem to pull in 42-2, get WB 54-1, ABC 64-1, can't get 67-1 all the time and that is it so I think I need a better antenna. What antenna are most using to pick up the digital OTA?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Try a 4bay bowtie/screen antenna like the Channel Master 4221 or their bigger 8bay model if you need even higher gain. What is the color code for the signal level and distance of the stations you can't get?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are all the color codes from www.antennaweb.org:

* yellow WTVE-DT 25 IND Reading PA Jan 15 2003 344°

* yellow KYW-DT 26 CBS Philadelphia PA Now Live 135°

* yellow WGTW-DT 27 IND Burlington NJ Under Review 135°

* yellow WPPX-DT 31 PAX Wilmington DE Under Review 135°

* yellow WPSG-DT 32 UPN Philadelphia PA Now Live 135°

* yellow WYBE-DT 34 PBS Philadelphia PA Under Review 135°

* yellow WTXF-DT 42 FOX Philadelphia PA Now Live 133°

* yellow WPHL-DT 54 WB Philadelphia PA Now Live 135°

* yellow WPVI-DT 64 ABC Philadelphia PA Now Live 135°

* green WHYY-DT 55 PBS Wilmington DE Now Live 135°

* green WCAU-DT 67 NBC Philadelphia PA Now Live 135°

lt green WPHL 17 WB Philadelphia PA 135°

lt green WTXF 29 FOX Philadelphia PA 135°

lt green WGTW 48 IND Burlington NJ 135°

lt green WTVE 51 IND Reading PA 312°

* lt green WBPH-DT 59 FMN Bethlehem PA FCC Extension 38°

* lt green WLVT-DT 62 PBS Allentown PA Now Live 38°

blue KYW 3 CBS Philadelphia PA 135°

blue WPVI 6 ABC Philadelphia PA 135°

blue WCAU 10 NBC Philadelphia PA 135°

blue WHYY 12 PBS Wilmington DE 135°

* blue WNJS-DT 22 PBS Camden NJ Jan 1 2003 142°

* blue WLYH-DT 23 UPN Lancaster PA Now Live 284°

* blue WWAC-DT 44 IND Atlantic City NJ Now Live 142°

* blue WFMZ-DT 46 IND Allentown PA Now Live 38°

blue WPSG 57 UPN Philadelphia PA 135°

* blue WUVP-DT 66 UNI Vineland NJ FCC Extension 142°

violet WLYH 15 UPN Lancaster PA 284°

violet WYBE 35 PBS Philadelphia PA 135°

violet WLVT 39 PBS Allentown PA 39°

violet WFMZ 69 IND Allentown PA

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like if I get a 4221 and point it to 135 I should get all I need?

Can the 4221 be picked up at a local store here in SE PA or should I just order it online?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Fox (42) and NBC (67) have been operating on reduced power, but are supposed to be going to full power on a new tower in the same farm any day now - check the Philly Digital Update thread in the Local HDTV forum.

Seems like you might well be OK with what you have once they start running at full power.

NBC was off-air last night and this morning. I'm also now getting 100 signal strength but no picture on 34 (WYBE), so I'd have to guess that they may be going live soon..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks kj.

Maybe I will hold off a bit longer and see what happens. To cold and snowy on the roof now anyway! ;)

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Knight
It looks like if I get a 4221 and point it to 135 I should get all I need?

Can the 4221 be picked up at a local store here in SE PA or should I just order it online?
It think www.hbfelectronics.com (State Rd. - Near Tacony/Palmyra Bridge) has Channel Master antenna in stock. I was there last year.

As for Showtime... why subscribe to Comcast cable (and pay over $60 per month) when you can get a Sat C kit for $9 and a monthly sub for the same price and get HBO and Showtime?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.