Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

There is an interesting story about INHD and HDNet in the Washington Times today. The article mentions a possible deal between INHD and the NBA.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Here is a key excerpt regarding INHD:

Quote:
INHD will operate two networks, both seeking to work as full-service operations with concentrations in both sports and movies. But INHD2 will operate with a much more flexible schedule to allow for pre-empting by locally generated sports programming in HDTV, and as a result likely will mean a quick increase in the number of local games shown in HD.

"Even though you're seeing local content produced in HD, high-capacity bandwidth is still not the easiest thing to come by," said Rob Jacobson, In Demand chief operating officer. "What INHD does in part is provide that extra space for the local content to get out there more often in that format."
One of the first examples of this plan in action is the INHD / NESN collaboration for Boston Red Sox games, which will start this week in the Boston area. See this topic in the HDTV Locals Forum for more details:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=301808

·
Registered
169 Posts
he did his best to edit, but he didnt convey the entire message..His original question is at the bottom of the email

No, not at all. We are excited about InHD. There is a need for a backdrop

network that can be pre-empted for local sports programming, and InHD will fill that role well.

Mostof the non sports programming they have are shows that have run already on HDNet that we didnt license exclusively, and they have a great

combination of MLB and small market college sports to go with it.

Where we are differentiated is in HDNet's significant investment in original

content. That is something that from what we see , InHD doesnt invest in.

HDNet originates more content produced in HD Video (the content that gives you that WoW or you are there look), then everyone else combined.

We have crews in Iraq and LIberia for our HDNet World Report. No other

network anywhere can offer features and breaking news from hot spots around the world like HDNet. We produce shows like Across America, True Music, Discoveries, Bikini Destinations, Get Out, Bass Champs, Beautiful

Landscapes, Designing Texas, Higher Definition, Chick Corea: Rendevous in

NY, Festivals of the World, plus we have a weekly HDNet Concert Series.

Weare providing our viewers with great programming that takes full advantage of the high resolution of HD. Exactly what our viewers tell us they want.

Plus we have a great complement of live sports . We have Div 1 College

Football and Basketball, NHL, Major League Soccer, Horse Racing, Boxing.

One unique differentiation between our presentation of sports and theirs is that while most of their games are shot to protect the picture for the old style, 4x3 analog screens, none of ours. We make full use of the 16x9 TVs of our viewers so that you can see the full field , court or ice without

compromise.

And the same applies on the HDNet Movies side. The movies they are showing at startup, have already run on HDNet Movies. Our catalog of films is far more extensive and we have added to our lineup movies that were shot in HD and dont have to be converted, from Russian Ark, to Midnight in Manhattan, The Real Cancun, Simone and others. The response to HDNet Movies has been amazing, and will only get better as movies shot in HD by HDNet Films, make it to theaters and then HDNet Movies.

Bottom line is there is room for both networks. No one ever says they get

enough HD content. THe more HD people get, the more they want.InHD , HDNet and HDNet Movies will certainly complement each other to that end

thanks !

m

Help the families of those not returning home from Operation Iraqi Freedom.
http://www.fallenpatriotfund.org

HDNet Movies, Entertainment and Sports are here.

Make sure to contact your sat or cable company and ask for them or

go to www.hd.net for details and for great mavs gear, check out
www.mavgear.com !

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 1:40 PM

Subject: INHD/HDNet

> Mark,

>

> I am working on a story about next week's launch of INHD and would like to

> get a comment from you about it. Does this entry suggest any changes in

> business plan or marketing strategy for HDNet? Is something you're at all

> concerned about? Thank you very much.

>

> -Eric Fisher

> The Washington Times

> Washington, D.C.

> 202/636-3150

>

·
Registered
169 Posts
We are already on lots of cable networks w more to come. And if any MSO

kept us off because they own -InHD, we have already been told regulators

are watching for that, it would get interesting, but we aren't seeing

anything like that yet

And as far as the nba, I don't know, but I would love to see the nba

preempting inhd every night

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:57PM -0800, Eric Fisher wrote:

> Mark,

>

> Thanks for the quick reply. Lot of great insights. I have seen HDNet,

> both

> in bars and Best Buy/Circuit City, and I also have spent a fair amount

> of

> time with the production folks of our RSN, which shows the Wizards,

> Caps and

> Orioles in HD on an occasional basis. It obviously looks great. But no,

> I

> have not made the personal leap yet to put it in at home. Hopefully

> soon!

>

> I am the sports business writer here at TWT and. as such, often get

> into TV

> industry topics. You probably don't remember me since you were getting

> pulled in so many directions, but we spoke briefly at the World

> Congress

> back in the spring, mostly about marketing and fan awareness.

>

> A couple more specific questions: is there any hope for HDNet getting

> carriage on cable systems that also are part-owners of In Demand, or is

> that

> more or less a lost cause? The carriage over both major satellite

> providers,

> obviously, counters that fairly well. Also, where are NBA games going

> to be

> shown in HD this season, besides ESPN HD? Thanks again for your help.

>

> -Eric

>

>> ----------

>> From: mark cuban

>> Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 3:09 PM

>> To: Eric Fisher

>> Subject: Re: INHD/HDNet

>>

>> One more thing eric. Have you seen HDNet ? Doyou have it at home ?

>>

>> Its tough to understand how it changes your viewing habits till you

>> use it

>> at home

>>

>> and are you in the business or tv section of the times?

>>

>> thanks !

>>

>> m

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Good news about HDnet Films, did not know HDnet were branching out into motion picture production, should be interesting..

good luck

tony

Ps. And thanks for posting the interesting email exchanges..

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Thanks for the interesting info, Mark.

·
Registered
787 Posts
i too would love to see hdnet on comcast. the two channels would complement themselves perfectly. I email comcast weekly about adding it...to no avail.

·
Registered
169 Posts
we have had some great conversations with comcast, but its really in their court at this point. Feel free to call them and let them know you want HDNet and Movies, and you think its complementary and completey different.

as far as Real Cancun, Im not sure when the window starts, but its not that far off. I think we start showing it the beginning of the year

·
Registered
787 Posts
i call them all the time, at least once a week. they don't seem to care.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
well without hdnets comcast won't get my business or any of my friends we will let them know/

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I constantly speak with people at Comcast about HD Net. So far, they are not interested at the price Mark is asking. I will keep plugging away though and will let you all know once I hear something.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is the bottom line.....INHD needs to make this become a financial win for their investors. This means that they need to advertise services directly to the majority of those who purchase television sets. By grabbing the sports market, they believe that they will be able to make a huge splash in the HD world. If they are successful, then they will continue to add more original programming, or additional channels. At that time they will be able to call themselves a well-rounded HD network. This is the Micro$oft way of doing business. Again, people might appreciate the fact that INHD can throw around their fat wallets and do what they will, but will they ever gain the respect of HD enthusiasts? Probably not. Do they care? Definately not.

I have much more respect for HDNet in this regard (and I'm sure a few others :) ).....they are attempting to provide a multitude of programs, from many different angles, in HD. This approach suits me just fine, even if all of the programs do not coincide with what I watch on a nightly basis. I would rather have a network dedicated to providing various programs, than

being saturated with the same crap that is on network television.

This is why I have become a fan of mcuban's over the past few years. He is willing to promote the expansion of HD by taking a grass roots approach. After HD grows up and becomes a norm in our society will he see the fruits of his labor. This exemplifies what making an investment is about. If INHD wants to take their shot in the market by grabbing all of the sports fans, go for it. We can never have enough HD and we will always know who is the wolf in sheep's clothing.....Besides, HD is so young that a major splash from INHD helps out HDNet more than hurts them....

Good luck mcuban.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mark,

I want to thank you for both HDnet channels and for being the pioneer in HD programming. I know you are spending mega-bucks with little return on your investment, at least for now. Hopefully, you will recoup it in the future. I just watched your channels yesterday when Dish added them and I am really impressed with the picture quality. I have been eagerly awaiting these channels for over a year. And through HDTV magazine I have been drooling over the variety of programming you offer. Again thanks and I like the link you added for the families for soldiers who didn't return from Iraq. It's nice to see a CEO with a heart and the compassion you show in so many ways. I think I will have to see if your company is publicly traded - it should be a good investment...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
HDNet does not have many commericals. How do they make money?
You are implying they make money?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.