AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I really have not either after two years and especially now that I haven't seen hd on a regular basis for a couple of months..

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Even with commercials... Even with being held captive to the networks' schedules (unlike for SD, thanks to Tivo)...

The magic is still there...

And I don't see it going away too soon.

Mark

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Once you start to see infomercials in HD, you'll lose your buzz.
I would watch Victoria's Secret HD infomercials.

- Tom

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
even the members of my family that thought hd a waste of money, but love me so allowed teh purchase :) :p have come to prefer hd and won't watch sd unless they have too but it did take about a year for them to come around.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
We have all been conditioned to overlook how awful NTSC has always been. But watching HDTV gradually establishes a new set of expectations so you notice the NTSC defects more. Of course HDTV also tends to make you buy better TV's and sit closer where you can easily see those defects.

It turns out all of my favorite programs are on the WB, UPN, USA, and SciFi channels so I'm still spendiing more time watching NTSC than HD. (since ABC cancled Miracles and that strange show about the Nevada tax guy) But it makes me find the analog picture quality more annoying. DScaler saves me a little bit but sometimes I can get very impatient with how slowly all this is progressing.

So some of my HDTV buzz is really sort of an ongoing rant.

- Tom

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I think it had to be the same for people who waited for color programming when it first started. It was probably not till the late 60s or sometime near the early 70s when those people stopped thinking about the color and really started to narrow down what they really wanted to see...since it was all or mostly in color.

Even when TVs first came out. I would imagine that when someone learned that SOMETHING would be on TV, they would be ready for it, no matter what it was.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm with ya Kipper!

Gettin so I can't hardly watch SD anymore......but it does still only make me appreciate the HD more!

Chapper

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I think it had to be the same for people who waited for color programming when it first started. It was probably not till the late 60s or sometime near the early 70s when those people stopped thinking about the color and really started to narrow down what they really wanted to see...since it was all or mostly in color.

Even when TVs first came out. I would imagine that when someone learned that SOMETHING would be on TV, they would be ready for it, no matter what it was.

======================================

It was the same. I'm 53 and can well remember how exciting it was to get a 4th channel from SF back in '56 or so that actually showed movies made after WWII.

Color came out in '53 and languished for 6 or 7 years with only an occasional special actually broadcast in color. Bonanza came on in 60 or so on NBC as the first real attempt to do a weekly show in color. It was specifically put on by NBC, then owned by RCA, to sell color tv sets, and it worked. By 65 or so the majority of network primetime was in color.

I became HD-capable 18 months ago and even with only one local station doing HD I can watch something in HD almost any time of the day or night thanks to DirecTV.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
We have all been conditioned to overlook how awful NTSC has always been. But watching HDTV gradually establishes a new set of expectations so you notice the NTSC defects more.

- Tom
Gradually? Hell, HD has ruined me, literally overnight. I can barely watch SD now (a 119" screen will do that to you). I used to love Fox News--now, it's just horrible to even look at. The solution? I want it all in HD and I want it NOW!

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
For me, since 1989.
OK, I'll bite. What were you watching in 1989?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tbhausen
I used to love Fox News--now, it's just horrible to even look at.
Horrible? Kiren Chetry, Molly De Ramel, Jane Skinner, Jennifer Eccleston, Laurie Dhue, Terry Keenan, Amy Kellog, ... Oh, I mean, Tony, Brent, Shep, Greta, Britt, Brett, Fred...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hiltsy855
How long will the HDTV buzz last? Until "Enhanced HDTV" or "Double Extra Super Res HDTV" (or whatever) comes out. Then we'll all be bitching about how crappy regular HD looks. :D:D:D

Mark
I've seen it. Toshiba had a demo at Siggraph showing a 2k x 4k "Super HD" system, and yeah...it did make any HD I've seen look...not "sick", but slightly unwell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.