AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered the service today for October 7. I was also told today by a rep that ABC and NBC were now available - we'll see- I hadn't heard that any of our locals had gone digital recently. Let me know how you make out on the 2nd.

I found the specs on the unit at motorola's werbsite, and am glad to see the DVI output as well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told the opposite yesterday, it will be in this afternoon, so we will see. BTW, CH12 has been broadcasting digital service on CH13 for months now. I understand CH 10's digital program is a short time out (then again I've heard that before.)

jcmitch

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well. Its in, it is a DCT6200/1000 (though I got a DCT5100 user guide). The channel lineup is 710 DiscHD, 711 ESPN HD, 720 HBOHD, 721 SHOHD. The picture is quite fine. Channel changing speed is a bit better than my previous cable box. There is a DVI connector and pair of 6 pin 1394 jacks on the rear of the box that are not on the diagram for the DCT5100. There is also a smart card slot, a USB 1.1 connector, and a set of composite a/v inputs on the front panel. I haven't tried any of these yet, and the user guide describes all of these as "not currently enabled".

jcmitch

·
Registered
7 Posts
jcmitch, are you using the DVI out on the new box - and if not, do you know if it's enabled?

I'm guessing, based on a previous post, that there will be no PVR capabilities - at least until the 1394 ports are enabled with firmware updates later on. It would be an interesting box with a 200 gig drive attached.

I suppose I should shell out another $24.00 for the HBO and SHO...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcm
Well. Its in, it is a DCT6200/1000 (though I got a DCT5100 user guide). The channel lineup is 710 DiscHD, 711 ESPN HD, 720 HBOHD, 721 SHOHD. The picture is quite fine. Channel changing speed is a bit better than my previous cable box. There is a DVI connector and pair of 6 pin 1394 jacks on the rear of the box that are not on the diagram for the DCT5100. There is also a smart card slot, a USB 1.1 connector, and a set of composite a/v inputs on the front panel. I haven't tried any of these yet, and the user guide describes all of these as "not currently enabled".

jcmitch
5100's also have Firewire as an option. How do you know it's a 6200?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It says 6200 on the bottom, actually it says DCT6200/1000. It has jacks that the 5100 doesn't, like the ones on the front panel, and the 1394 jacks. It also has a different menu than the one described in the 5100 FAQ, unfortunately, because I would like to edit some of the settings.

I'm not using the DVI at the moment, but I will try it out in the coming weeks.

jcmitch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cox is now advertising INHD and NESN channels coming soon.

No locals yet. I hope they get CBS before the Patriots season is over

but I'm not holding my breath.

I have had Disc HD and ESPN HD since September but really would like

to see the major networks offered since they are programming more

and more HD shows all the time.

·
Registered
536 Posts
:p

720p is converted to 1080i.

:mad: We have to start demanding network feeds, PBS,NBC,ABC, CBS, UPN & the WB. We are missing a great deal of HD because Rhode Island locals are low end media markets. Give us HD broadcasts, now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree we have to let cox know we want network programming as soon as possible. I filled out a survey for them concerning their new HD service.

In most of my answers I repeatedly told them the networks were important because of the amount of HD programming available now and much more to come in the future.

·
Registered
534 Posts
THis from Nielsen's web page:

6 Boston (Manchester) 2,391,830 2.206

48 Providence-New Bedford 635,610 0.586

Providence is in the top 50- Taunton is part of that market. It's listed as bigger then Las Vegas!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any news on the timeframe for the local channels from someone in the know?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Read the usual Rhode History from the FCC and weep. In the wake of the Federal Communications Commission's warning to NBC-owned WJAR-TV in Providence, RI,

FCC Warns TV Stations to Launch DTV Operations: The Federal Communications Commission announced Thursday that it is warning NBC-owned WJAR-TV in Providence, R.I., and six other commercial television stations that they could lose their digital TV construction permits if they don't launch DTV operations soon. Under the FCC's DTV transition regulations, all of the nation's commercial TV stations were supposed to have begun DTV operations no later than May 1, 2002. But many, citing a variety of difficulties, have received deadline extensions from the agency.

In a statement Thursday morning, the FCC announced that it will not grant WJAR and six other stations additional reprieve, giving them notice of the fact in official letters of admonishment. The other stations are Emmis Communications' WVUE-TV in New Orleans; Northwest Broadcasting's WICZ-TV in Binghampton, N.Y., and KMVU-TV in Medford, Ore.; Granite Broadcasting's WKBW-TV in Buffalo, N.Y.; and Puerto Rico stations WSJU-TV, San Juan, and WDWL-TV, Bayamon.

Ken Ferree, FCC media bureau chief, told reporters that any of the stations that haven't launched DTV operations within six months will face fines. Stations that haven't started their DTV operations within a year could lose their permits to construct DTV stations, he said. "Admonishment is a serious thing," Mr. Ferree said. The FCC also said that it granted six-month deadline extensions to 104 commercial DTV stations on grounds that their requests were "warranted and [that] they showed progress on construction of their facilities since the grant of their last extension." The FCC also said that 1,061, or 81 percent of all commercial stations, are currently on the air with a DTV signal.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any new news on the HDTV signal for the local CBS, ABC, NBC yet?

·
Registered
536 Posts
:eek:

Now What?

Cox Cable is adding 14 new digital channels at $3 and they are taking away two.

They took away two bad reception channels and from the looks of it they replace them with 14 bad reception channels. :eek:

Where are the HD Locals?

The answer from Cox is that they are waiting on CBS WPRI to come up with a pice of equipment they need to carry the CBS WPRI HD feed.

However, Cox is adding a WPRI local weather DT channel. Could this be part of WPRI's multi casting without HD. Can this mean CBS HD is just around the bend or is local CBS HD ( with NFL Playoffs and Super-bowl) still on the dark side of the moon?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Whcih says that the equipment in the sudios is in place and operational. I wonder what the hold up is in Rehoboth? It seems clear now that the problems are at the transmitter end or the link to the transmitter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, so we now finally have HD Cable in RI. This is prolly not the correct forum to ask, but I wanted to know if one could take the signal from the COX stb (the moto 6200 i take is still what COX sends out) via the firewire and record to ones PC? Or is it encrypted so it wouldn't be possible. What I really want the ability to do is record the HD/DTV to HDD and then encoded it into WMV and burn to DVD-R for storage. If anyone knows if this is possible then let me know. Or do in need a super expensive component mpeg2 encoder. Thanks

3vian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.