AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few people on the projector forum say that the X1 does a great job displaying an HD signal but after searching, I couldn't find anyone discussing the use of an HDTV tuner card with the X1. Has anyone had any luck with the various cards out there?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Here in Australia we get free to air 1080i HD. I have tested this from my HTPC with 9600 pro on my X1 and with GOOD HD is it nice. We have 576 PAL here which is better than NTSC in the US straight up so HD should be even greater improvement over there.

HOWEVER the quality of the source is proably more important. We have HD and SD broadcast at the same time (stupid i know) and say CSI for example on SD (which would be the HD down converted to 576) there is not too much difference on the X1 i think due to the source being good to start with. HOWEVER in saying that i have seen some movies in 1080i and switched to the 576i SD and there has been a noticed improvement.

HOWEVER i have found that picture from SD 576i can be improved greatly with FFDshow and with good source (ie same show that is in HD) the FFDshowed SD can look better.

The Fusion HD demos (asians talking and the asian/singer/dancer thing, and the 1080p WMV9 HD corel reef demo) are VERY nice and notiably nicer than most other stuff.

Hope this helps.

I run 1024 x 580 to my X1 to i have a 16:9 desktop at correct aspect ratio

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your thoughts Spoonfed.

I'm hoping to find out if anyone has had any luck using a HiPix, MyHD, Fusion II or similar card with this projector. Anyone with successes or failures?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
You should be able to use the MyHD 120's breakout cable to output VGA to your projector without any problems. If I get my projector in soon I will try it. The other option is the FusionII, which uses the output of your graphics card.

-MP

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love to hear about your experience once you receive the projector madpoet.

I was thinking the Fusion II might be the better card with this projector since the graphics card may do a better job converting to the 800x600 native resolution. Sounds like there's still a few problems and questionable software support though so maybe the MyHD 120 would be the better choice.

I'm just surprised there aren't more people responding. So many people have purchased this projector so I figured there'd be at least a few people running HD cards/HTPCs with it.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Everyone in the projectors forum says the X1 does an amazing job of displaying 1080i in 800x600. They are not sure WHY it does an amazing job, just that it does :). Having had first the FusionII and now the MyHD120, I consider the MyHD120 a much better card. The tuner is more sensitive, the software is less buggy, and it uses less system resources since it is a hardware encoder. With the MyHD120, you wouldn't need the daughter card. Simply use the breakout cable to feed your desktop from your video card in to the MyHD, and then the VGA out from the breakout cable to your projector. Set the MyHD to output in RGB mode, and away you go. So when looking at the price comparison, remember that you a) don't need the daughter card, and b) get the remote included, which you do not with the Fusion.

-MP

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
James-

I am using a HiPix with an X1 projector. It looks quite good, as does my Zenith set-top HD tuner. I am considering buying a MyHD, though, because it has an 800x600 mode (X1 native resolution)-the HiPix does not.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesC
I was thinking the Fusion II might be the better card with this projector since the graphics card may do a better job converting to the 800x600 native resolution.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the MyHD card is acting like a display card when sending HD to the projector. It is more like it is just "transfering" HDTV content, and the X1 is scaling the picture. The card is more like a "TV tuner" than it is a display card. Trust me on this, you want the X1 to do the scaling when it comes to HDTV. Having your display card convert HDTV to 800 X 600 will totally waste the HDTV ability of the projector, and probably look bad.

The main thing the MyHD has over the Fusion is it is way less CPU intensive. You can actually be productive with your computer while watching HDTV because the card has an onboard hardware decoder that is doing all the hard work. The Fusion card offloads this work to your CPU and graphics card, which will seriously hurt performance of your computer.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
simmike-

Yes, the MyHD (or any other 'hardware' HDTV board) is 'acting like a display card' (that is, sending an RGBHV signal in PC-compatible and/or HD-compatible scan rates).

Whether the X1 does a better job than a MyHD at converting HD scan rates to the native format of the X1 (800x600) is a good matter to discuss; I would think the MyHD does it better since it does the job entirely in the digital domain.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use MyHD-120 with my X1 and it's fabulous. I have the -120's output rez set to 1920x1080i and the X1 scales it nicely. What I haven't done is set the -120 rez to 800x600...seems like a worthy experiment.

Rgds,

JohnW

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use MyHD-120 with the X1 and the picture quality is great ! The MyHD user interface is a bit drab and program guide/timeshifting is slow due to internet. Would be nice if TitanTV came out with an XML version. Navigating the TitanTV guide pretty much requires a mouse (Gyration mouse works well). Extra money for MyHD over Fusion well save a lot of troubles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thanks for all your input. I got in on the crazy Dell X1 deal last week and am dying to see some HDTV in the house. Looks like the MyHD card is the way to go at this time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
James, let us know how it all turns out. An argument for WAF (wife acceptance factor) is the freebie OTA / no subscription for semi-Tivo like PVR functions. We still use / pay for Replay because of the easy interface (WAF again) and in high resolution makes a nice feed to the X1. Have you decided on a screen yet? Highly recommend the DaLite HiPower Model B but almost anything will work including sheet or the wall. Have fun and hope it's all set up in time for the World Series !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.