AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have missed previous posts on this subject, so if that is the case please just direct me to the correct thread. Which of the current or announced crop of HDTV PCI cards have the most PVR functionality? With my current STB, I can pause, rewind (in slow, regular or fast speed), fast forward (also in all three speeds), 30-second skip, etc. Are there any cards capable of this at all?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sounds like you have a TiVo... at this time none of the HD PCI cards have the same or even close to the same functionality of TiVo.

I have a MyHD card in my HTPC. MyHD can play live OTA HD content. MyHD can record OTA HD content, either by manual record function or by preprogramming. It is reported that MyHD can record automatically, when used in conjunction with Titan TV (free) service. I haven't tried Titan TV, cause my HTPC is not on the internet.

With MyHD you can not watch one channel while recording another, nor can you watch pre-recorded content, while recording a new program. The MyHD Fast forward and rewind feature, is a timed skip or jump function. Not a continuous picture moving faster or slower. One frame actually freezes on the screen for a second or two, then it resumes playing at the new point in time.

Bottom line: if you are looking for TiVo like functions, you (and I) will have to wait a while longer...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Dish PVR, which unlike Tivo, you don't pay any fees to use! I thought that this was the case with HD cards, except for that I thought since the MyHD card has two inputs, you COULD watch one thing while recoding another. Do any of the PCI HDTV cards allow for this function (which is more important to me than FF, REW, etc.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gjlowe

I have a Dish PVR, which unlike Tivo, you don't pay any fees to use!

So DishNetwork is free, better not let them know... your getting it for free. ;-)

I thought since the MyHD card has two inputs, you COULD watch one thing while recoding another. Do any of the PCI HDTV cards allow for this function (which is more important to me than FF, REW, etc.

Sorry, I don't know if the other HDTV cards can do what you want.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
gjlowe,

the only way to watch something while recording another program is to get two HDTV cards. If you want two hardware decode cards, your only option is to get two MyHD cards. Otherwise, you can have a Harware decode card (any would do), and a software decode one (the FusionHDTV is the only model currently available).

I have an AccessDTV and a fusion card in the same box and can attest that it works...

Some other things you may want to keep in mind:

- There is only one card which supports instant replay on liveTV at the moment: the AccessDTV (the Hipix, MyHD and HiDTV don't have the hardware to do it, but a software developper might be able to develop a standalone solution... and DVHStools seems to be moving in the right direction)

-regarding EPGs, Titantv is the most complete source of programming ( www.titantv.com ). It currently interfaces well with HiPix, MyHD and HiDTV. Neither the fusion nor the AccessDTV support if for now. There are alternative solutions for the AccessDTV card (A very nice one, very Tivo like, is based around XMLTV listings and the myHTPC software - www.myHTPC.com- . Unfortunately Titantv's listings are more complete, and it requires some work to get it to operate smoothly for now, as it is work in progress...)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"the only way to watch something while recording another program is to get two HDTV cards."

Yep, that's what I do. I have the MyHD MDP-100 and FusionHDTV II installed in the same HTPC. Record with one while watching the other or record with both.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info people! Now what if I get an MDP-100 now, and an MDP-120 later. Can I output anything I have recorded with either card through DVI then?

P.S. Teeps--I DO pay for DISH network, I just don't have to pay for the right to use PVR functions, as it is built into my receiver (PVR-501). I assure you I am not doing anything illegal!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks, Cliff. Um... since you're "evaluating" it, can you shed some lights on it, ie. PQ, tuning capability, etc. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DueN
Thanks, Cliff. Um... since you're "evaluating" it, can you shed some lights on it, ie. PQ, tuning capability, etc. Thanks. :)
Not yet cause I'm still under NDA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.