AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to upgrade my large screen TV. I know that I want a rear projection and as I posted in another thread it must be 4:3 not 16:9 (Wife Acceptance Factor). After some limited research it appears that what I may really want is not HDTV at all but the ability for the TV to accept component outputs and to display the 480i, 480p, and 1080i information on the screen. The reason I want the component inputs is to display the progressive scan from my Toshiba SD5109 DVD player. I don't intend to use any HDTV functions for quite some time.

Does an HDTV tuner have a component video output which will work on any component video input? If so, why all the hype over HDTV ready when all that is really there is the component input?

And, horizontal resolution, 500?, 800?, 900?, and 1200? What will it mean to my tired old eyes?

Brands to look at and brands to stay away from.

My last purchase I made based on the results of looking with my eyes. It turned out well. Unfortunately there are not enough TVs on display to use that method again. I have to rely on inputs from others. This is one place that I know of that will give me opinions. Some stronger than others but all valuable.

------------------

Jerry the HT Nut

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HT Nut:
it must be 4:3 not 16:9 (Wife Acceptance Factor). .
You might want to try again to make the case for 16:9. Why is it that she wants 4:3? She hates the black bars? If so, go visit a showroom and show her a 16:9 TV playing 4:3 material in a "stretch" mode. Personally, I want 4:3 material all the time on my Tosh 56H80 in its theatre-wide mode that crops a little material off the top & bottom and stretches the picture but not in the center so that focus area is not stretched. I find that it doesn't bother me at all and it is a good way to watch 4:3 material on a 16:9 TV w/o black bars (and thus w/o "burning" the CRTs with static material)

Quote:
After some limited research it appears that what I may really want is not HDTV at all but the ability for the TV to accept component outputs and to display the 480i, 480p, and 1080i information on the screen. The reason I want the component inputs is to display the progressive scan from my Toshiba SD5109 DVD player.
Yes, your requirements are for an HDTV.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would second the thoughts about 16x9. My wife loves our HT now because we can watch a lot of DVD's in 16x9. You get used to the side gray bars when viewing 4x3 material , and stretched 4x3 is awful.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Instead of just rehashing the 4:3 vs. 16:9 debate again, please try to help me understand the importance of (and the distinctions between) the various labels used to describe TVs these days?

Is a Digital TV necessarily different from an HDTV?

Does HD-Ready TV = HD Compatible TV?

With the widespread availability of various separate video processor components like line doublers, are there certain barebones TVs (lacking most, if not all of the bells and whistles) which will actually display a surprisingly good video image?

Since store displays are notoriously tweaked by ignorant salespeople, should I rely on a spec like the maximum number of lines of resolution when shopping?

------------------
nn2g2bT = Not NECESSARILY Too Good to be True

·
Registered
78 Posts
DTV is a form of transmiting digital reception. [basically in 480i]

HDTV is DTV with better resolution. [1080i, 720p, 1080p]

Yes. Marketing term. Just indicates that you can display HDTV with correct input device.

I think the only barebone you are refering to for HDTV support is maybe a front projector. At least the one usually discussed here have the same crap that we don't want... like NTSC tuner [ useless in my view... they still put it in every TV http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif ]

Don't even use the line resolution as a shopping comparison. Most 7" CRT

TV cannot display all the lines the Marketing groups put on paper. Unless you are willing to buy one with 9" CRTs. As indicated by mikedj, you should consider other factors, [exmaple] like post sales-support. You probably seen nightmare STB support stories from Sony and Panasonic.

Hope this helps.

Know how you feel right now.... been there, done that; on deciding how to spend the money... and hope not to be sorry after the decision has been been made.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug McCoy:
I would second the thoughts about 16x9. My wife loves our HT now because we can watch a lot of DVD's in 16x9. You get used to the side gray bars when viewing 4x3 material , and stretched 4x3 is awful.
Well, it is a matter of opinion. I don't mind the "theatre-wide" stretch mode on my Toshiba. It is nice that you are given lots of options. I can view 4:3 material with gray bars, full screen, and three different "theatre-wide" stretch modes. Try them all and pick the mode you like the best.

The anamorphic DVD factor was the main reason I picked up an HDTV. (I certainly didn't get one to watch "The King of Queens" in HD! ;-) )

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:

I have an opportunity to upgrade my large screen TV. I know that I want a rear projection and as I posted in another thread it must be 4:3 not 16:9 (Wife Acceptance Factor). After some limited research it appears that what I may really want is not HDTV at all but the ability for the TV to accept component outputs and to display the 480i, 480p, and 1080i information on the screen. The reason I want the component inputs is to display the progressive scan from my Toshiba SD5109 DVD player. I don't intend to use any HDTV functions for quite some time.

Does an HDTV tuner have a component video output which will work on any component video input? If so, why all the hype over HDTV ready when all that is really there is the component input?

*...*...*

__Jerry the HT Nut
For example, it seems that the RCA MM36110 and MM32110 Direct View TVs aren't promoted (by RCA) as being HD-Ready, but I've seen them tauted as such on several message boards.

I assume that it's more than just a matter of semantics, and hope that this post will generate some clarifying responses.

Thanks!

__Ken

------------------
nn2g2bT = Not NECESSARILY Too Good to be True

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.