AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long been a home theater enthusiast and nothing has confused me quite as much as HDTV. I simply have a few simple questions that if someone could help answer I sure would be appreciate it.

1. I live in New Orleans, LA. Can I receive OTA HDTV now?

2. If so, what is now available in my area?

3. I have an htpc. I know I can get the RCA DTC100 to probably work fine with an NEC VT540 projector (hdtv capable, 1080i and 720p). However, is there a card availabe for us htpcer's that would be in the same price range as the RCA unit?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
904 Posts
There are now cards for PC HDTV, I believe one is called HiPix. If you look in the Home Theater Computers forum, I'm sure you can find out a lot more. I've heard that none of the cards are quite as good as the DTC-100 for reception, but YMMV.

jake

·
Registered
936 Posts

JP,

As one of the previous posts mentioned there are several PC cards that you can use (AccessDTV is another one). If you do not have an OTA source for DTV however, none of these cards will do you any good. So far none of the PC cards will accept a sat signal. Since the bulk of HD is network, you might consider trying to get one of the Canadian DBS services (ExpressVu or StarChoice) because they both carry USA network HD. You might be to far South, but check anyway. Failing that, about all that is left is Dish or Direct. Both offer HD (a bit more on Dish right now). Both the Dish 6000 and the DirecTV/RCA DTC100 work well, and you should have no problem. BTW, you might try calling your local CBS/NBC/ABC stations about HD. I've had better luck with a telephone than email. Its harder to ignore someone on the other end of the telephone than it is a message in an in box.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
196 Posts
(1) Here are the current listings for "on air" DTV stations in Louisiana, as of March 26, 2001:

WLPB-TV LA BATON ROUGE 25 ON THE AIR

KLFY-TV LA LAFAYETTE 56 ON THE AIR

(2) I just this moment took delivery of a Hauppague Wint-TV HD PC Card for receiving ATSC digital TV broadcasts. I'll try to post some information on this forum as to its operation soon.

KC

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Also being in the New Orleans area I can confirm that there is nothing you can pick up OTA right now. Most of the local stations are listed as having a projected digital set-up date for the early 2002 compliance date (Either March or May, I forget which). And knowing how technology tends to fly around here I don't doubt a few of those stations will be pushing hard for extensions.

As otherwise mentioned there are some options for getting HD by satellite. Personally I use Bell ExpressVu out of Canada (search the forum here if you are interested in learning more about it) since I can get some of the Network HD broadcasts, particularly for sporting events. It is definitely lacking in movies compared to what DirecTV or Dish offer on HBO-HD and, in the latter case, SHO-HD. But it is cheaper and you only need a single dish to get it all instead of 2 dishes (either American DBS provider) or a single elliptical dish (DirecTV only).

I also have an HTPC, but I don't use it for OTA or Satellite signal reception, mainly just DVD and gaming, so I can't really speak to those applications.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of HD!

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for everyone's replies. This made things much more clear for me now. I do appreciate all the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.