AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a apartment building and have only 1 coax wire coming into my apartment. This feed is giving me HDTV connected to my DTC100. (Oval dish with 2 lnbs)

Is there anyway I can take this feed and plug it into a regular (non hdtv) receiver? Like a directivo?

Thanks,

mlr

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
mlrtime,

Did you put the DirecTV dish up yourself or did you have it installed? The set-up you are going for is almost identical to mine (DTC100 and DirecTV with TiVo).

The set up you need, I believe, is to feed the outputs from your LNBs into a multiswitch that will split the signal out to mulitiple receivers. You can hook up both a standard receiver (DirecTiVo) and an HDTV receiver with no problems. This would, however, seem to require at least 2 coax cables coming into your apartment. Since the DirecTV with TiVo allows you to take 2 inputs (watch one thing live while recording another) this number goes up to 3. You can also combine an OTA antennae feed into this, if you wish, with a little extra equipment.

You cannot combine/split the signals coming off of the multi-switch, I don't think. A dedicated cable is required going from the multi-switch to each receiver input.

Does this help?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't install the equipment, it was all done for the building. I only have one cable going to my apartment. This cable has the HDTV dtv signal.

The installer said that I could split the signal but I would not be able to watch both at the same time.

I guess you can only do limitied things with one cable.

mlr

·
Registered
277 Posts
The last post was correct. Basically each reciever needs its own coax coming from a multswitch (if you have 3 or more receivers or 2 or more LNBs) or directly from the dual LNB (if you have only 2 receivers and only need one LNB for what you want to watch). The DirecTivo counts as 2 receivers since it takes 2 coaxes to record 2 shows simultaneously.

So you need 3 coaxes from a multiswitch. Probably the way to go is order the 8900 oval dish which comes with a multiswitch and install it (if you have permission to do so).

If you can't install anything else, I believe that you could split the coax with special splitters that allow only one receiver to control the the polarization through the coax. That would work in a very limited way to farm the signal out to all 3 receivers. The limitation is that you would only be able to receive the LNB and polarization that a "Master" receiver was tuned to. All the other receivers wouldn't be able to receive anything if they were tuned to channels on other LNBs or other polarizations. That could work if and only if all the channels you wanted to watch happened to be on the same satellite and polarization. And I haven't tried it myself; it's just hearsay.

-Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dang...

cheap apartment buildings only using one wire per apartment...

guess I'm SOL. Too bad they don't make a DTC100 with tivo :p

Thanks for the help guys.

mlr

·
Registered
277 Posts
Depending on how much compromise you want to live with, you could probably just manually connect the single coax to either the tivo or HDTV receiver, or perhaps rig up a switchbox that would let you switch it via IR or something. But that would be a hassle.

-Tom

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
A simple A/B switch should allow you to use one or the other receiver at any one time. That is the best you can do with only one cable. If changes are frequent, or you just don't want to get up every time, Radio Shack has an IR remote A/B switch.

Have you discussed with building management the possibility of adding the necessary equipment (a larger multiswitch?) to allow additional cables to be run to your apartment? Perhaps at least partly at your expense?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your neighbor isn't using his Directv connection then maybe you can use his. They often wire these to a common wall. If that's the case and your neighbor agrees, a cheapo $2.00 faceplate from Home Depot and some careful measurements will get you another feed. Just a thought...

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have pretty much this setup (HD100 + directivo).

i got the directivo when my HD100 was at sony being upgraded. I have to say that you're never going to get the most out of the directivo unless both tuners are connected and they are connected 24/7. to do this of course you need use two cables from the multiswitch to the directivo.

being able to record two shows at once is really awesome if you have a lot of season passes configured. and the ability to buffer two live channels simultaneously is cool too.

i don't know how i ever watched TV without the directivo. too bad it doesnt do HD.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't thought about what I'm going to do yet. I thought about asking a neighbor about their cable.

I guess I should just be lucky i can even get DTV in a apartment bldg in nyc.

mlr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.