AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now that HD.net is out I'm ready to take the plunge and upgrade my older RCA DSS with a new HDTV DirecTV receiver. I have some general HDTV via Directv questions.

1. I have an LT150 XGA projector that can sync to 720p fine, but apparently doesn't work as well with 1080i. So, that means the Panasonic is the choice since none of the others do 720p, right?

2. XGA resolution in 16:9 mode will be 1024x576. Am I right to assume that the 720p lines will be easier to scale to 576 (A .8 scaling ratio, or 5:4 native http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif isplayed) instead of scaling 1080 to 576 (a .53 ratio, which is not as easy a multiple)?

3. I have an 18" round dish now, and I know I'll need a new Plus 18x24" dish for both HDTV and Local (here in Austin locals are sent via the alternate Para Todos satellite). Do I need both dishes or just the new 18x24 one? Is it pointed in the same general direction? Is it hard to locate all the sats by hand?

4. How many RG6 cables will come from the dish to the Pan TUHDS20? I currently have 1, with another from the 2nd LNB running to my other DSS receiver. Do I need to add a 3rd and have two running to the Panasonic or will 1 work for Regular/HDTV/Local dss channels? Do I need a multiplexor?

5. I have a large 100 mile Radio Shack rooftop antenna for OTA local broadcasts. Once I get the new dish, I'll subscribe to my local package. But, will that antenna work for HDTV OTA broadcasts once my local stations get off their asses and upgrade?

Thanks for any and all help!

-Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
I may not be the best person to answer these, but I'll do my best. BTW, I have the Panasonic TU-HDS20, oval dish, and a Panasonic Plasma.

1. One of the Panasonic's features is its conversion to any of the HDTV formats. Works well and is easy to use. Just set it up once to your monitor's preferred format and you won't need to touch it again.

2. XGA in 16:9 would be 1365 by 768. But what does this have to do with your setup?

3. You will just need the new oval dish. Alternatively, you could just add another round dish and a switch (multiplexer) to cover both satellites. The oval dish is usually the simplest choice.

4. The oval dish comes with a built in 4-2 multiplexer. You will need one run of RG6 cable to your TUHDS20 and one run of RG6 cable to your second DSS receiver.

5. Your Radio Shack OTA antenna should work fine for local HDTV broadcasts, and will connect directly to the TU-HDS20. OTA HDTV is far superior to standard DSS!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RetinalBurnOut-

Thanks. Those are the answers I wanted. I'll just get the oval dish....and I'm thankful I don't have to run any more RG6. I've had enough crawling through the attic for a while.

As for question #2, I have a 1024x768 projector, so for me HDTV will be projected at 1024x576. So, I'm just trying to determine which will look better scaled to that resolution - 1080i or 720p. Granted, I'll try it and see for myself, but this impacts which DSS receivers I can buy so I thought I'd ask. It was just a hypothesis that the quality of the picture might be somewhat attributable to the ratio of native : displayed pixels.

Thanks!

-Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave E in TX (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
363 Posts
I viewed 720p and 1080i from a Samsung SIR-T150 on an NEC LT150 and couldn't see much difference. I thought that 1080i looked a little better, but I could be wrong. Has anyone been able to make an objective comparison of 720p and 1080i on the LT150 from a test pattern or still image? Other factors to consider (besides the LT150's scaler): the native resolution of the broadcast and the conversion performed by the HDTV receiver. In any case, the increased resolution of HDTV is quite noticeable on the LT150 even though it doesn't display the full native resolution.

The Zenith DTV1080, which is supposed to be available next month, will also do 720p.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dave E --

OK, I understand question #2 now. Unfortunately, I don't have much first hand experience with projectors -- only use 'em with computers for presentations. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Either the projector or the STB must scale the HDTV signal, so the final results will depend on how you set things up. The most straightforward way would be to tell the TU-HDS20 that it has a 4:3 monitor with 720p capability. This would probably suit the projector well enough that it would not need to scale the signal. The STB will then create a letterboxed 1024 x 720 signal with about 576 active lines, and would probably work pretty well. The Panny STB has a decent scaler (to my eye, but maybe not to the owners of those $12K outboard scalers!), so I think most people would be pretty happy with the result. Note that the Sony HD100 could not do that since it can't output 720p.

The other approach would be to feed the projector with a native signal (as transmitted, unscaled by the Panny) and let the projector scale it, assuming that it can multi-sync all the formats.

The main thing is to avoid having BOTH the STB and the projector scale the signal.

At least the Panasonic lets you try all the possibilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.