Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm just beginning to research this particular piece of equipment and wanted to get suggestions/feedback on the various products available. My requirements are:

DirecTV reception

DVI output

I plan on using an NEC HT1000 projector.

I am aware of the following products:

Sony SAT-HD200

Samsung SIR-TS160

Toshiba DST3000

Zenith HD-SAT520

I've been reading a ton of pages here and it seems that many/all of these have some major bugs. Please give me some feedback and insight as to what the differences are in these units and whether or not there are any outstanding "bugs" that haven't been fixed. Also, are there products that I'm missing? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
181 Posts
The information you seek is all there at the top of the forum. Tons of details on the Sony HD-200, the Samsung TS-160, and the Zenith HD 520, and the Toshiba are all good machines of the newest generation. Some last generation units, like the Hughes E86 are good units, but only have component output so don't meet your requirements. Read a lot and enjoy your learning experience.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I have both the Zenith HD-SAT520 (essentially the same STB as the Sony HD200) and also the Samsung SIR-TS160. Overall the Zenith/Sony is a better STB overall (better over the air reception and with the latest firmware it has less bugs than the Samsung). However, the Samsung outputs standard def. S-Video and RF outputs at the same time as HD is output via Component, RGB, or DVI. This Samsung feature is useful if you want to make a std. def. recording, such as on a S-VHS VCR, at the same time you watch the program in HD. If you don't need this feature I would recommend the Zenith. It sells online for less than $600 from such reputable dealers as 6th Ave. Electronics. The Sony costs $100 or more than the almost identical Zenith (both manufactured by LG Electronics, Zenith parent company). However the Sony does come with a DVI cable while with the Zenith you would need to purchase one if you are connecting via DVI.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.