AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching HDTV ever since it came out in the United States. I've spend countless hours checking out projectors, TVs, HiPix, digital receivers, screens, etc. Every night I watch Leno and think about how awesome it will look when I finally have an OTA HDTV feed. I *really* want it.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten to research one important topic: CAN I ACTUALLY GET AN HDTV SIGNAL FROM WHERE I LIVE?

I live in the Sammamish/Redmond area of Washington. I'm guessing that I'm 20+ miles away from the transponder down in Seattle. The problem is that I'm up on a plateau and there are some hills between me and the towers.

I bought a RadioShack double bow-tie antenna to see what kind of reception I get (analog). I can basically tune in a channel 5 with clear audio but lots of snow. Nothing else comes in that doesn't look like it has been scrambled. My hopes are fading...

I'm looking for an expert (paid professionals are fine) that can do the following for me:

-Determine if I can even receive HDTV signals from my location.

-Find an antenna that can be installed which will receive those signals.

-Install the antenna if it some massive piece of work.

Do these people exist? Perhaps there are some members in my area... but I doubt they hang out in the HDTV forums because they are in the same boat that I am!

I realize that I could install a Dish of some sorts, but I'm really interested in local OTA right now.

Thanks for all your help,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Pultzar (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi pultzar,

Not knowing your exact address, I simply ran a general Wammamish address (E. Lake Sammamish Parkway) at antennaweb.org.

From that location, there are a number of stations within range that are broadcasting now in HD: KING, KIRO, KCTS, KOMO, KSTW, and KCPQ.

Area is in the red zone requiring a medium directional antenna.

Does that help any?

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
838 Posts
Make sure to check your address on www.antennaweb.org, it will estimate the type of antenna you will probably need to pick up various stations. I too was worried about reception, living ~25 miles from the towers in a 3-story apartment complex and with hilly terrain. Analog-wise, I can tune in 2 *very* fuzzy UHF channels using a cheap $7 RCA antenna. This same antenna in the same location can bring in both the CBS and NBC HD feeds at 90 and 70 strength! I still continue to be amazed http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif For the record, CBS is in the yellow area and NBC is red! I even tried the most expensive antenna the Shack had ($80) and didn't get any better reception.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RMP in KY:
Sounds like you're trying to receive Ch 5 (VHF) on the RS bowtie antenna which is UHF only.
Are there any UHF analog channels that I can test with? I guess I need to get a digital receiver and have a go at it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I live in Silicon Valley about 50 miles from the San Francisco and Oakland TV stations, so I don't have any experience with the Seattle scene. However, I've found that I get excellent digital reception from a station whose antenna is colocated with an analog station whose signal is too weak for my receiver to sync on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay Scott,

Perhaps I can be of some help? There are quite a few of us in the Seattle area that are getting OTA HD. On this forum, BudgetHT, gave me some fantastic advice getting me up and running.

First you need to run to Rat Shack and pick up the 15-2162 Yagi for 39.99 and pop it on the roof and run a cable to the HDTV. Then you pick up an HD box, or beg someone with one, and test your signal. That's it! That's what I did.

Right now I'm getting all local DTV channels simultanously with no rotors or amps, signals 70's to 100. Should improve even more as the leaves fall from the trees. I'm just about in Issaquah on the edge of Maple Valley.

You can give me a call if you like.

Ken B.

You really should think about DirecTV HBO/HDnet @ $13/mo. and the $10 BBuster deal.

------------------

Ken B.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Scott,

KONG/16 is on the KING-DT tower, though lower down. If you get a good signal on KONG/16 you should have no trouble getting KING, KIRO and KOMO digital. All three are very close to each other on Queen Anne Hill. If you get KCPQ/13, then you should be able to get KCPQ-DT; both share the same antenna west of Bremerton.

Art

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.