AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to skim and search through the existing threads, but I am having a hard time finding a thread that provides step-by-step instructions on how to transfer a saved HDTV recording to a PC and then burn the recording to a dual-layer DVD-R disc. Can a Dual-layer DVD-R disc even hold an HDTV program? If someone could detail the procedures involved or direct me to an existing thread, it would be greatly appreciated. I will likely be working with a Comcast Dual tuner HDTV-DVR box. Thanks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaash
I've tried to skim and search through the existing threads, but I am having a hard time finding a thread that provides step-by-step instructions on how to transfer a saved HDTV recording to a PC and then burn the recording to a dual-layer DVD-R disc. Can a Dual-layer DVD-R disc even hold an HDTV program? If someone could detail the procedures involved or direct me to an existing thread, it would be greatly appreciated. I will likely be working with a Comcast Dual tuner HDTV-DVR box. Thanks. :rolleyes:
Well, I have captured a program from a DCT-6412 Comcast HDTV box, but have not tried capturing a pre-recorded program, so I am not sure if that is possible. Off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing any instructions for capturing an already DVR'ed program to the computer. I guess you could try to play it and see if it will capture on your computer.

As far as the size, most captured HD movies are anywhere from 8GB - 13GB+ depending on the movie (resolution, bitrate, and time). Anything over ~8.5 GB, you would have to split the movie to put onto another dvd data disk. Obviously, your normal dvd player will not be able to play these dvd's, but they could be a way to archive them, until the blu-ray or HD-DVD players come out.

As far as captuing the HD stream from your comcast box to your computer, these instructions should help you:

How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP

If you want a program to edit the captured transport stream file (*.TS), then try a program called HDTV2MPG, which can be found here:

HDTV2MPEG

That program lets you split up long TS files to sizes that will fit on a DVD5 or a DVD9. If you recorded an HD show or special event, you can also use that program to remove commercials or other unwanted things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To answer that question, from my experiments, whatever is being displayed on your tv, is what will be streamed (recorded) over the firewire cable to your PC. So to record a DVR'd event, you just need to play it and start the CapDVHS program.

I have a follow-up question for anyone that can help:

What I cant do, is convert the transport stream (of either HD or SD) to the appropriate type for DVD authoring software to recognize it well (audio and video). I want to be able to play the resulting DVD in any DVD player. I've tried multiple programs (HDTVtoMpeg, mpeg2repair, varios TPMGEnc programs, multiple dvd authoring programs, etc). Even after I run HDTVtoMpeg, I can not get the resulting Mpeg file to be recognizable by dvd authoring software. Am I missing some steps (most likely)?

BTW, I do realize converting HD content, to normal DVD will result in a loss of quality. My main goal is to archive some of my favorite programs (Either HD or SD) to DVD for later viewing (even if it wont be in HD format). I also would love to keep the 5.1 audio if possible.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2u
To answer that question, from my experiments, whatever is being displayed on your tv, is what will be streamed (recorded) over the firewire cable to your PC. So to record a DVR'd event, you just need to play it and start the CapDVHS program.

I have a follow-up question for anyone that can help:

What I cant do, is convert the transport stream (of either HD or SD) to the appropriate type for DVD authoring software to recognize it well (audio and video). I want to be able to play the resulting DVD in any DVD player. I've tried multiple programs (HDTVtoMpeg, mpeg2repair, varios TPMGEnc programs, multiple dvd authoring programs, etc). Even after I run HDTVtoMpeg, I can not get the resulting Mpeg file to be recognizable by dvd authoring software. Am I missing some steps (most likely)?

BTW, I do realize converting HD content, to normal DVD will result in a loss of quality. My main goal is to archive some of my favorite programs (Either HD or SD) to DVD for later viewing (even if it wont be in HD format). I also would love to keep the 5.1 audio if possible.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What I have used, is NeroVision Express. You will need to rename the TS files to MPG files, but they do retain all resolutions and settings. Once you do that, I know that NVE recognizes it and will allow you to convert to dvd quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.