AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a home theater set up in my family room. I have been using a Radio Shack wireless transmitter to send audio and video to a non- HDTV on my kitchen island. Since I am in the process of remodeling, I will be breaking up the floor and it is a good time to hard wire the island and make it HD in the process.

So I am going from a Direct TV HD box in my home theater setup to the kitchen island. The wireless transmitter was using the yellow, red and white connectors A/V connectors and yielded a NON-HD signal. I want to use the component video (3 wire) and 2 wire audio to get the HD signal and stereo sound over to the island.

My question is what cabling would be appropriate to use for this application? It has to go through 1/4 " conduit in the concrete slab... I did see a connector that uses cat 5 cabling and was wondering if that will work well.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Ideally to run component you'd need 5 RG6 cables but it sounds like you don't have the room for them. Cat 5 should work fine for you with the proper baluns on each end.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyhf /forum/post/12958183

I have a home theater set up in my family room. I have been using a Radio Shack wireless transmitter to send audio and video to a non- HDTV on my kitchen island. Since I am in the process of remodeling, I will be breaking up the floor and it is a good time to hard wire the island and make it HD in the process.

So I am going from a Direct TV HD box in my home theater setup to the kitchen island. The wireless transmitter was using the yellow, red and white connectors A/V connectors and yielded a NON-HD signal. I want to use the component video (3 wire) and 2 wire audio to get the HD signal and stereo sound over to the island.

My question is what cabling would be appropriate to use for this application? It has to go through 1/4 " conduit in the concrete slab... I did see a connector that uses cat 5 cabling and was wondering if that will work well.

In order to use cat5, you'll need a conversion adapter for it. A friend of mine does this to get his X-Box signal to his upstairs TV. It works fine.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
bigboyhf,

Are you aware that there is a 20" standard def LCD TV set made by Humax, the LD2060, that has a D* receiver built in? In that case you'd only need to route a single RG6 coax cable to it. According to the description I've read, it works as a conventional TV if you ever dropped your D* subscription.

Do an online search to find vendors. CNET has a video review here http://reviews.cnet.com/Humax_LD2060...7-6624547.html Just a thought.

Dana

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found some balun's that will do the job. Now I have to decide if I really want to go to HD in such a small set. It will cost about $150 to go with non HD cabling and double that for HD because I will need two seperate balun's: one for composite HD and one for analog audio. There is only one digital audio output on the DVR and it is already in use...
Otherwise I could do HD with just one set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts