AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zenith 56" rear-projection HDTV (IQB56W10G) and its fan noise is unbearably loud. Its especially noticeable at night during quiet movie passages.

I've called the local Zenith Authorized service provider (who worked on my set earlier) and they said this is "normal". Their tech told me these fans are not designed to be whisper quiet and that I have to get used to this "sound". Is this accurate? Before I disagree with the tech, I'd like to get as many forum members input first.

Especially interested on getting any feedback from any Zenith HDTV owners (56" or 64") out there. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The fans in my Zenith IQB64W10W are very quiet. The back wall behind the set has floor to ceiling draperies, though. You might try applying some Sonex to the wall directly behind the set to see if this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I'll give it a try. Despite, the fans on my set are really loud and I can hear it from 30' away. When I first turn the TV on, it sounds like a small remote-controlled prop plane about to take off.

Anyone else have loud fans on their RPTV/HDTV?

BTW: Is it OK to add some lubricating oil to the fan bearings to make it quiet?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
You might look into substitute fans if Zenith won't help. Philips replaced the two fairly noisy fans in my Philips 64PH9905 with Panasonic Whisper fans. Really made a difference. Sorry, don't have model number etc., but they shouldn't be hard to track down. In the CRT forum, there are some threads about fan replacements. -- John

·
Registered
33,514 Posts
The fans in my 64" Zenith are relatively quiet. They can be heard during quiet passages, but I really don't notice them if I'm not paying attention.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pereras
...fan noise is unbearably loud. ...

..provider (... said this is "normal". Their tech told me these fans are not designed to be whisper quiet ...
If you can track the tech down on the phone, ask him/her to look at one of these fans and get the manafacturer + model number from the fan. A screw hole to screw hole measurement (not diagonal, just across one of the flats) is useful, too, as well as body thickness (thickness typically less critical than screw hole measurement).

At this point, without having to have opened your RPTV (dunno if this is hard for you - if nothing else, it's likely to be quite tedious) you can look up your current fan for volume moved, pressure, and dB - oh, you'll need voltage, too: likely candidates are 12VDC and 120VAC.

Once you have all this, you have a shot at finding a quieter fan that's comparable in air flow/pressure and size/voltage.

Fans are also listed for RPM. Slower moving ones are often more quiet (it's related to blade tip velocity). Look at some of the above-mentioned threads for fan suppiers. If your fan is 12VDC, it's also worth checking out the Silent PC forum.

There's also noise generated by the interaction between the fan and the housing around it. If your fan is mounted on the exterior with a "finger guard" next to it, you can often make things quieter by removing the guard.

Good luck!

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.