Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. For a project at work, we are looking for a HDTV source and projector to display a computer generated presentation. So far, I've found lots of information on HDTV projectors but not a lot on the source generator. What is the most common HDTV storage option right now? Is something like the JVC SR-W5U W-VHS VCR the best option or will a HDTV DVD be available soon? How easy is it to master something from the PC to the HD source?

TIA for any tips.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I assume for the computer generated presentation you plan on using the computer as the source device that will drive the projector. Is your question what is the best storage media for HDTV video? If this is what your are after then what will be the original source for the HDTV video you are wanting to store? HD-DVD's won't be available until late 2002 and even then the first products may be only ROM and not recordable media. Several companies plan to introduce D-VHS VCRs that can record HD by the end of this year. However, these may or may not be compatible with your needs since they may be dedicated to making recordings of over-the-air HDTV broadcasts and HDTV programs off of satellite. Also HDTV receiver cards are available for PC's that allow reception of over-the-air HDTV broadcasts with storage to the PC's hard drive (requiring about 8 GB of disc space per hour of HDTV video).

[This message has been edited by Ron Jones (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
I'll go into details later, but the best choice for you would be an SGI Onyx Unix supercomputer. It can create, store & ingest HDTV signals for playback.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
I assume for the computer generated presentation you plan on using the computer as the source device that will drive the projector. Is your question what is the best storage media for HDTV video? If this is what your are after then what will be the original source for the HDTV video you are wanting to store? HD-DVD's won't be available until late 2002 and even then the first products may be only ROM and not recordable media. Several companies plan to introduce D-VHS VCRs that can record HD by the end of this year. However, these may or may not be compatible with your needs since they may be dedicated to making recordings of over-the-air HDTV broadcasts and HDTV programs off of satellite. Also HDTV receiver cards are available for PC's that allow reception of over-the-air HDTV broadcasts with storage to the PC's hard drive (requiring about 8 GB of disc space per hour of HDTV video).
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'll try to explain in a little more detail what we are doing on this project. We had created a widescreen presentation in AfterEffects that we mastered to DVD. The presentation is intended to play in a small room with a standalone player and projector.

I wasn't happy with the resolution that the DVD provided so I wanted to see about moving the presentation to HDTV but haven't been able to find out what that might involve. The JVC SR-W5U W-VHS VCR seemed like a possibility but I didn't know how we would transfer the presentation from the Mac to the VCR while maintaining the quality for HDTV. If we need to stick with a laptop as the source, that would be acceptable as well as long as the laptop can output the proper HDTV signal for the projector to recognize.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.