AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the Hughes hooked up to my Mitsubishi and man, do the pictures on HDNet look great. I can't wait for my sat-C kit to get here!

I've already done the I2C fix for the red push on my Mitsu, but with the 1080 playing, my little girl came in and said, "wow, the people look like their skin is real, not a picture!" My wife, never the techno-geek like myself, just looked at the picture and smiled, trying to contain herself. About 5 minutes later, she wanted a lesson in how to work everything..hehe...

Now, if I can just get an antenna up for my local broadcast.

Have a great day guys (and gals)!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yes, HDTV action is fantastic. God bless Mark Cuban for his channel. I hope he comes through and adds the other HD channels he's been rumored to add.

I've had HDTV running for about 2 weeks and I still get amazed by how good 1080i material looks. Most recently last night as I watched "The Tonight Show" I can't wait to have a look at "My Wife in Kids" tonight on ABC.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Welcome to the club. Please don't forget to tell all your friends, relatives, neighbors how great HDTV is and it's available today in their own homes. Stress how easy it is to setup (lie if you have too :) )

We need more, correction, everyone to get HDTVs in their homes as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
jcblack,

Actually with DirecTV, you would bring your channels up to 4 because you would gain HBO, Showtime and the mother of them all HDNet.:D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Congratulations, bash. And congrats on having such a caring, loving wife and child, too! :)

My own wife (a "Jo" Six-Pack?) doesn't really go ga-ga the way I do over HDTV, but she is ecstatic about widescreen material versus 4:3. My daugther, being 21 months old, might just well grow up with HDTV being commonplace.

Or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats from So. CA

Glad you're enjoying the prety pictures as my daughter refers to them as. Get the OTA antenna up as soon as you can to get the full spectrum of HD content out there. I've been watching OTA HDTV programming for about 3 months now and cant get enough of it. I get 9 channels from LA in my area of which 5 provide decent content. I especially enjoy the weekend "Big Picture Show" movies on ABC, "Alias" on Sunday on ABC, "CSI" on CBS, and the occasional "Nova" or other documentary on PBS. Do your homework and get the right antenna for your area. I recommend the biggest UHF only antenna you can find (Winegard has a fine selection) and you may also need a preamp. Check here

http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/step1.html

for whats available in your area and keep enjoying the pretty pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigosky
I get 9 channels from LA in my area of which 5 provide decent content.
What 9 do you get?

Here in Marina Del Rey I get 7: ABC-DT, CBS-DT, NBC-DT, FOX-DT, KTLA-DT, KCAL-DT, and KCET-DT. I do not get KCOP-DT, which would have been 8.

So what is the ninth that you receive, and can you receive KCOP-DT (not that there's anything worth watching on it)?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DSperber
What 9 do you get?

Here in Marina Del Rey I get 7: ABC-DT, CBS-DT, NBC-DT, FOX-DT, KTLA-DT, KCAL-DT, and KCET-DT. I do not get KCOP-DT, which would have been 8.

So what is the ninth that you receive, and can you receive KCOP-DT (not that there's anything worth watching on it)?
Posts like this make me want to weep openly since Austin is terribly backwards when it comes to OTA content.

Congrats on the new setup! --Karl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DSperber

The 9th is KWHY (I think) a spanish language station. I'm not sure of the call letters as I never really watch it. It just popped up one day a couple of weeks ago. I do get KCOP-DT which along with KCAL-DT dosen't get much of my attention. If they ran "Enterprise" in HD (even 480p like FOX) I would watch it, but they don't, and it all looks quite terrible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well the digital transition is moving along in LA. Just when I posted I was getting 9 channels, a 10th popped up, KSCI-18, DT-61 1 and 2, out of Long Beach. I checked a web site I found this morning, http://100kwatts.tmi.net/tv/DTV.html , and discovered it was listed as "on the air". I tuned it in on my receiver and voila', it came in fine up here in Oxnard. Not that it has anything to offer that I'm interested in. It is a Spanish and Asian mix of programming. The interesting thing about it is that it is the first station I've seen truly employing the "Multicasting" technique by showing 2 different programs on their 61-1 and 61-2 channels. The other interesting aspect of another channel for me is that I am able to receive it way out in Oxnard, aproximatley 65 miles from Mt. Wilson. I'm using a Winegard Chomestar PR-9085 UHF Yagi antenna (their next to the largest UHF) with no preamp about 25' high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.