AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 2002 models are out, but looking over Sony and Toshiba's websites ain't easy. They load poorly and I am having a hard time finding what I am looking for.

My parents will need a RPTV under 50" that is HDTV ready AND that can do vertical compression with DVD. I believe the Sony KP-43HT20 is the 2002 model that does 16x9, but Sony's site will not load. Am I correct on this?

TOSHIBA also has a new 2002 model which I believe to be the
43H70 , but at $2700, that is a bit much (my parents just built a deck, went on a cruise and ordered DISH, so they set a 2K limit).

Advice? Any other options? They watch too much 1.33:1 programming to buy a 16x9 set (we don't need burnin), but I want them to have the 16x9 squeeze for DVD, as Dad has amassed a respectable collection of good films.

Locally we have a Tweeter, a Circuit City and Sears (which I personally want to bomb right now).

Thanks (also posted in the HTF).

[This message has been edited by Matt_Stevens (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Matt,

The 43H70 is a 2000 model, I think the 43HX70 is a 2001 model, and I have no idea what the 2002 43" model is called. I am pretty sure this is correct, but is someone know better I am sure they will let us know.

I am pretty new to the HDTV area, and I just ordered the 43H70 from www.onecall.com for $1399.00 + delivery. It is not the latest and greatest, but for my needs it will work, as I have an apartment and Ineed something kinda small. And like you, I wanted 4:3. I just posted this info in another thread, but in case you haven't seen it, OneCall upgrades you to the 43HX70 for no additional charge. So you can get the 43HX70 delivered for under $1500.00, and I have heard that they are really good about helping you out if you have any problems. I don't know this from my own experience, but just from my reading of other forum posters on www.***************.com .

If you do order from OneCall, they have a referral program for existing customers. If you don't mind letting me make 1% off your sale, it would be great if you gave them my name. I can email it to you if you decide this is something you don't mind doing.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know why Toshiba's website does not include this year's models? This simply makes no sense. How can they get the word out of their newest sets if they don't even list them?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Toshiba has a news posting on the new sets including the 43HX71. Sounds like some major improvements in the line. There is a lot of competition in the 40-50" HDTV range now, so you should not have a problem finding one. I personally like the Hitachi picture, but recently I saw the Sony and it looked great also. If you want to wait on the new Toshiba, I am sure it will be up to spec with the rest. BTW, they should all be around $2000, give or take about $300.

-Gergg

·
Registered
907 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello Matt,

I saw, several weeks ago, a 53" Pioneer 16:9 wide screen at Sam's Club for $2299.00. It wasn't the Elite series, but it looked very good for "out of the box".

Best of Luck, Max

Linux Rocks......

In a world without fences, who needs Gates.....

[This message has been edited by wa4ryb (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Dont't forget the STB (set top box).

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I was at the wiz yesterday and I saw a display model of a Mitsubishi 40" 16x9 set for 1500. You might want to start looking around big stores that have display models since they will be wanting to makr room soon.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I assume that you mean the 46" mits rear projection set. To my knowledge, MIts doesn't have a 40" 16X9 receiver.

Quote:
Originally posted by chap:
I was at the wiz yesterday and I saw a display model of a Mitsubishi 40" 16x9 set for 1500. You might want to start looking around big stores that have display models since they will be wanting to makr room soon.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at the new Sony 43" yesterday and it is very nice. Terrific HDTV picture and an attractive cabinet for $2 grand. I'll bring my father to see this next weekend when he comes over to my place to check out my new Panasonic HDTV (47").

·
Registered
517 Posts
You can get the Sony 53HS30 for approx 2 grand. Try www.jandr.com

I bought my 53HS10 l(ast year's model) for $1998.

I would go for the biggest one you can fit and afford bc with HDTV you can sit very close and it still looks great.

------------------

Eram

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.