AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a DTC 100 to get cbs & hbo from TWC. I bought a silver sensor, and can receive a few analogue uhf channels (all terribly), but nothing digital. Do the new generation of stb's make a significant enough difference that I would have a chance?

------------------

Alex

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Noticed the same thing with a Silver Sensor and my set's built-in HDTV tuner a few months ago. I've noticed mixed reports of success from various Manhattan sites, as you'd expect. But I don't think any of these early tests are valid until the new stations go full power. Without a line of sight from a mid-town location to the WTC, I was amazed to be picking up Leno on NBC one Friday night--through several building walls. I pointed the S.S.'s flat side at the WTC. But that and CBS from the Empire State is all I got. As you discover, a few inches of S.S. movement can mean a picture or not. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
65 Posts
You might have better luck actually pointing the silver sensor away from the trade center. I face north and point the sensor north east - I now get NBC and ch 11 (33-1) at 70 strength, and ABC at about 50 strength.

------------------

BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The MegaWave MTV-1 indoor antenna has worked well for me in Boston. However, we don't have the many skyscrapers you do. I use it for OTA HDTV signals and it picks up all available in Boston.

You can check it out at www.megawave.com

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. does the new sony do any better?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
If you are getting terrible analog UHF reception, then you are unlikely to get digital reception with any box. I suggest working on the antenna side of equation before trying different boxes.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I imagined. Is it worth trying another indoor antenna?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Well I don't subscribe to that theory that terrible analog UHF reception translates to terrible digital reception. I've seen it firsthand where all the NYC digital stations at the time came in with signal levels between 60 - 88 (as reported by a DTC-100) (WCBS-DT, WNBC-DT, WNYW-DT, WPIX-DT) with excellent picture and sound while the UHF analog stations were unwatchable.

·
Registered
787 Posts
 Inline amp model #15-1115

I had no luck getting any digital channels in brooklyn until I got one of those.

I have it hooked up to a rs double bowtie. The best thing is if it doesn't work, you can just return it. I get ALL nyc channels with this combo from parkslope brooklyn.

Good luck.

K

·
Registered
907 Posts
It would be helpful if people mentioned exactly where in Manhattan they are, i.e upper east side, west side, etc.

I am on the Upper east side around 90th street and cannot get any signal from the WTC, only Empire State. I get about 70 on FOX and 55 on CBS, but very steady. I am curious if anyone else on the UES gets WTC stations and , if so, what kind of antenna and where is it aimed.

It might also be helpful if people mentioned what floor they are on. I know this may sound wierd outside of NYC, but reception is very specific here...

Thanks all.

-Gergg

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gergg, very good point. upper east, mid 90's, floor low teens, and i get zilch with either silver sensor or rs double bowtie. how high are u?

Is cbs & fox only b'casting prime time or do they send sdtv on their hd freq's other times?

------------------

Alex

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good source, thanks. Is it normal not to receive ANY signal at all on ANY DTV stations. not even a very low signal strength. Am I doing something wrong?

I channel scan (with program guides off and using over-air setting) and get nothing. I try entering channel manually & get nothing. Are the trasnmitters only operating at certain times of the day, and I'm missing them? I do receive cbs & hbo with the dtc 100 on time warner. I have walked around the aprtment with silver sensor, rs bowtie, and inline amp; all to no avail. I receive an unwatchable channel 47 (do get color signal).

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit:

Is it normal not to receive ANY signal at all on ANY DTV stations. not even a very low signal strength. Am I doing something wrong?
That's quite possible. Remember the "signal strength" meter really isn't; it's more a signal quality meter that tells you how cleanly the bits are being received by the receiver (before the receiver applies its error correction). So if the signal you're receiving is too low or has to much multipath for the receiver to even lock on the carrier, it can't do this computation and just reads zero. You may in fact be getting plenty of signal, but just too distorted for the receiver to cope with.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
907 Posts
Alex,

I am on the 9th floor and I believe the major problem in my area is multipath. If you are on the 3d floor or higher, try tuning into FOX in 44.1. Leave the tuner on and (with a long cable) walk around the apartment and slowly aim the antenna everywhere. Watch the meter carefully.

I only have one spot where I get reception of FOX and CBS and the antenna literally has to be angled so it is tilted to the side. I have no choice for now, but it works.

-Gergg

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm on the upper east side on 72nd Street in a house. Reception is problematic. I get CBS HD from T-W and I can get it fairly well OTA also. And I get HBO HD from T-W and Dish Network, and Showtime HD and a Pay-per-view channel from Dish, so I'm not starving.

But I get zilch on the other NYC HD local stations (except for FOX which I receive intermittently) using a Silver Sensor and a DTC100 or the HD receiver that came with my Sony 34HD1 TV. I do believe that the newer HD receivers have better selectivity and are worth a try, and that things will get better when stations go to full power. But frankly, until then, your best bet is to move to the Village or SoHo or Tribeca. My friends down there don't seem to have the reception problems that I have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.