AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into the local Costco a few days ago (Simi Valley, CA) and they had five different widescreen HDTV ready sets on display. They ranged from the 64" widescreen Pioneer to a 42" widescreen. Also included in the five was a 42" plasma for $2999. It was listed as a EDTV with 720x480 resolution but had two HD inputs.

They went from two HDTV widescreen displays a month ago to five now. They must be getting a lot of sales so they added more. This is good news. Still no HDTV STB for sale. Previously they had a Dish 6000 behind the sceen feeding the sets but it was gone!

Rick R

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just got back from the Portland Costco; they had a 50" Samsung plasma for $6999 (I think there was some sort of rebate too). That's about half of what I've seen 50" plasmas going for. They have a bunch of other LCD, RPTVs, and that 42" plasma as well.

Don't know if that's HDTV going mainstream, as most people can't imagine doing anything but hooking DVD players and cable to them, but the more big screens out there the better. Then they'll want HDTV as soon as they figure out what it is!

BB

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good sign, but it's still pathetic that most stores drive these sets with a DVD player - progressive scan or otherwise. Few, other than Sears in my area, seem to go the "trouble" of driving them with a true HDTV source to show off the real difference. In my opionion this is idiotic, since I assume they DO want sales. What better way to sell something than to visually advertise it's true worth & features?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,651 Posts
The Costco in Livonia, MI has 5 HDTV Monitors (3 RPTV's, 2 CRT's) and some of them are displaying the Dish 6000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.