AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MITS 55819 and Toshiba DST-3000 STB. Is there a way to make the upconverted nonHD feeds fill the screen? I've tried making adjustments to the format on the TV and in the STB, and nothing works. The true HD programs fill the screen...but the standard defintion feeds on the digital channels have black bars present on the left and right. Please advist. I live in the Seattle area and I am specifically refering to the Kiro and Komo digital stations...CBS and ABC. Thanks

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I don't know for sure about the Toshiba STB, but I was able to work around this problem with the DTC-100 by re-setting the preferences as if I had a 4:3 monitor. The DTC-100 then lets you toggle between a shrink-to-fit picture and a cropped one. The cropped picture (with my montitor set to stretch/"Just") is just right to get rid of the black bars that are transmitted when a digital OTA station is upconverting SD. When a real widescreen picture comes along, you set the screen size prefs back to 16:9.

I would assume that most STBs have a similar set of options.

[This message has been edited by Spoffo (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that solution just might work. But that's kinda a pain in the buttocks...having to go into the settings each time to make adjustments. It is strange how KING5 (my local NBC affiliate) broadcasts the upcoverted stuff in the 16:9 format...but every else, ABC and CBS stick to a 4:3 feed when upconverting.

Does anyone else have another solution for the Toshiba STB that doesn't require a constant shuffling of STB settings? Thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbaset:
I think that solution just might work. But that's kinda a pain in the buttocks...having to go into the settings each time to make adjustments. It is strange how KING5 (my local NBC affiliate) broadcasts the upcoverted stuff in the 16:9 format...but every else, ABC and CBS stick to a 4:3 feed when upconverting.
KING5 stretches the network SD 4:3 image out to 16:9 to fill the screen. I, personally, think it distorts the image, making everything look shorter than normal.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think the problem is that KOMO and KIRO actually are broadcasting a 16:9 signal. They take the 4:3 picture, upconvert it and put the black sidebars on it to make the aspect ratio 16:9.

Unfortunately, I don't know the operation of the STB or TV so I can't offer any input on your situation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A short-cut might be to switch the Toshiba to SD mode. I use the Dish 6000, and usually watch the 4:3 up-converted stuff via the S-Video input on the Mits, so I can use the "Stretch" mode (normal in the center, wider at the edges of the screen).

btw - Fox 13 (Digital 18) zooms in to fill the screen, too. But I think King does a better job of it. I often see cut-off titles on Fox.

------------------

- Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.