AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Samsung TSL3293HF HDTV monitor (great tv, excellent picture) and am seriously comtemplating switching from cable to Direct TV and getting an HDTV receiver at the same time. My question is; when watching HDTV programming (HBO, HDNet, etc.) with a 4:3 set, are you forced into letterbox and a 16:9 ratio or do you have the option to watch the shows in normal, full mode with no distortion and just the sides cropped off?

Please let me know as I am still within my 30 days to return this tv, and I'm thinking about trading it in for the RCA F38310.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SE3
I recently bought a Samsung TSL3293HF HDTV monitor (great tv, excellent picture) and am seriously comtemplating switching from cable to Direct TV and getting an HDTV receiver at the same time. My question is; when watching HDTV programming (HBO, HDNet, etc.) with a 4:3 set, are you forced into letterbox and a 16:9 ratio or do you have the option to watch the shows in normal, full mode with no distortion and just the sides cropped off?

Please let me know as I am still within my 30 days to return this tv, and I'm thinking about trading it in for the RCA F38310.
Both options are bad. Get a 16x9 set.

bb

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the input, guys, and I may just do that, but could someone please answer my question about the HDTV with a 4:3 set? Will I be forced into letterbox?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SE3
Appreciate the input, guys, and I may just do that, but could someone please answer my question about the HDTV with a 4:3 set? Will I be forced into letterbox?
I've been starring at your question for a few minutes and it finally sunk in. You want to essentially zoom the image to lose a very significant portion of the content just to fill the 4:3 screen, is that correct? If so, I can't go any further. If your goal is to see the entire widescreen content undistorted, there is no way to avoid top and bottom bars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JerryG,

I definitely don't want to zoom in using my television, but if I leave the picture mode in "normal," will I still be getting a good hi-def picture with the sides cropped off, which is acceptable to me, or will I be viewing the whole picture, only stretched vertically (not acceptable).

The main reason that I'm wanting to hold onto the 4:3, is that I watch dozens of football games every week, and most of those games will not be in hi-def widescreen for at least another couple of years.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
By definition HDTV is widescreen.

If you watch HD programming on a 4:3 set you will have large letterbox bars. Some programmers like HBO have some 4:3 programming over their HD channel (Six Feet Under is one). Resolution wise it is good SD and with a 4:3 set you you will have bars on all four sides unless your set can zoom in. Widecreen owners have a 4:3 picture with black windowbox bars on the sides. (Not common but I think there is at least one STB out there that can convert the black bars to grey).

If you watch HD programming on a 16x9 set you will have the screen filled in on 16x9 material. Note that the ratio for 16x9 is 1.78:1. On programming that has larger ratios a widescreen display will have narrow letterbox bars that vary by the aspect ratio. Note that most films today are around 2:35:1 (others include 1.85:1, 2.0:1, 2.70:1).

Watching 4:3 material on a widescreen set entails watching it with gray side windowbox bars on the side or with a stretch mode. After awhile either one can become normal/acceptable for most viewers and you end up watching the programming and not the TV. If you have a decent signal then hopefully the lower quality NTSC picture will not be too bad. Your other alternative is to just watch those programs on a regular NTSC set.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
The could be a feature of the STB, the set or both, but the answer is yes, you can zoom the picture to fill the screen vertically and crop the sides.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spwace,

Have you ever seen this done using the STB receiver, and if so, which particular receiver was it? Was the HDTV clarity still intact after the zoom-in?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
With the RCA DTC-100 you can do it by selecting 4:3 as the screen type and cropped as the display mode. I haven't really analyzed it for quality, but using this mode would use the full vertical resolution of the monitor while the letterbox mode would have 25% of the scan lines occupied with black bars.

If the monitor has a 16:9 mode that squeezes the vertical deflection to produce the letterbox image, that will allow you to retain the full vertical resolution and the full horizontal image, but there will still be black bars at the top and bottom.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, spwace, that was the answer I was looking for.

If someone here can comment on the HDTV picture quality when using "4:3/cropped" with the DTC-100, I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well theres nothing wrong with still wanting a 4x3 screen I suppose if you're going to be watching gobs of 4x3 material but regardless of that whats so wrong with just watching 16x9 HD in the proper format. So what if theres black bars top and bottom. Why would you want to crop such a beautiful picture in the case of HDNet for example.

Even though I have a widescreen set, some of the stuff I watch still has black bars because many DVD's and certain HD movies have an aspect ratio even wider than 16x9. But you wont catch me cropping or zooming them just to fill my screen. I'll leave that to HBO ;).

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Well theres nothing wrong with still wanting a 4x3 screen I suppose if you're going to be watching gobs of 4x3 material but regardless of that whats so wrong with just watching 16x9 HD in the proper format. So what if theres black bars top and bottom. Why would you want to crop such a beautiful picture in the case of HDNet for example.

Even though I have a widescreen set, some of the stuff I watch still has black bars because many DVD's and certain HD movies have an aspect ratio even wider than 16x9. But you wont catch me cropping or zooming them just to fill my screen. I'll leave that to HBO ;).
Your last couple of sentences gave me a nice chuckle. Thanks Dan.

Yea, I'll never understand why someone would want to destroy content just to fill the screen, regardless of screen size. Oh well, it remains one of those mysteries of the universe that will never be answered.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
Yea, I'll never understand why someone would want to destroy content just to fill the screen, regardless of screen size. Oh well, it remains one of those mysteries of the universe that will never be answered.
To me, it's just years of conditioning. The public is used to seeing the entire screen full of image, regardless of the screen aspect ratio. Anything less and we're being cheated, or so it seems to the less knowledgeable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I watch as much soccer as you watch football. I got a Sony 61hs30 ( 61" 4:3) with manual squeeze and have a great 16:9 55" screen. After months of research, the conclusion I got is : if you watch 75% or more 4:3, get a 4:3

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a RCA DTC-100 and the RCA 32" 4:3 HDTV for my bedroom setup. Actual 16:9 HD with the sides chopped off has a very good picture on my set with no loss of resolution. Like someone said, it actually is a better picture since I am using more scan lines for the image instead of black bars. However, I usually watch the HD stuff with the letterbox bars. (I do most of my HD viewing on my main set Mits 46" 16:9 though). 4:3 material is usually better on the 4:3 set (go figure)

If you are serious about HD material than get the widescreen. If you will be watching mostly 4:3 stuff than get a 4:3 set.

I would have gotten the 16:9 38" RCA if I had the extra money to blow (and a bigger bedroom).

Paul

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

To me, it's just years of conditioning. The public is used to seeing the entire screen full of image, regardless of the screen aspect ratio. Anything less and we're being cheated, or so it seems to the less knowledgeable.
Unfortunately, you're correct. But a significant number of people in this category feel this way because they aren't educated to the fact that they are actually missing something. Many will want the screen filled no matter what. But others, including many I've educated, prefer widescreen with whatever bars are needed, once they realize that they are actually getting more with letterboxing.

It will certainly be a long, arduous, and perhaps fruitless struggle to educate and convince everyone about widescreen. Just witness those who have 16:9 sets and still object to the bars with a 2.35 movie.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
These kinds of threads make my heart sink. :(

SE3: Go to www.widescreen.org and click on EXAMPLES for God's sake.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
These kinds of threads make my heart sink. :(

SE3: Go to www.widescreen.org and click on EXAMPLES for God's sake.
I've never seen that site before. Thanks for the link. It's sad to think that even a site like this won't convince some people to stop worrying about the bars and to start being interested in the content.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.