AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going off to college in the fall, and I'll be bringing along a computer that I plan to build in the summer. I've been thinking about all the media functionality that I will want with this computer, when it hit me, can I do HDTV in my dorm room? Clearly, the number one restraint will be space. I'll be attending Georgia Tech which is right in the heart of downtown Atlanta, so I'll be no more than 3-4 miles away from any transmitting stations. My monitor will be a 19" Sony. My idea was to buy an HDTV card and then buy a set top antenna and somehow put it on my monitor. Again, transmitting distance will be no problem, but I was wondering if perhaps being in an urban area with tall buildings will be. Is my idea feasible?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Of course it could/should/might work. Your HDTV PC card may not be as good as most external receivers in picking up weak HD channels. Anyway, you should wait until you see which way your dorm room will be facing, and then you can use the net to figure out if your dorm room faces any of the HD stations.

------------------

Abdul

Click to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm receiving HDTV in my dorm room. I have a HiPix and WinTV-HD. My Silver Sensor antenna is able to pick up most of the channels without trouble. (I'm about 20 miles from the transmitters) The antenna is in-doors, so I have to be careful about which way the antenna is pointing in order to get good reception. In my case line-of-site is definitely not a requirement for reception. In fact, I get best reception with the antenna pointing nearly opposite the stations.

Line-of-site, however, is required for my satellite dish to see Echostar III. The dish is mounted on a tripod sitting on the floor inside my window.

To really enjoy HDTV, you need a big projector.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear your comment about the projector, but I'm sure HDTV will still be stunning on a computer monitor. What monitor are you using in your dorm?

·
Registered
779 Posts
University must be getting too easy now days. TV was not my first priority, but hey different strokes for different folks. I was a little wrapped up with grades, money and getting laid and activities which furthered the first three. At least that all I can remember. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Watch out for multipath issues, since some of the antenna sights are towards Decatur, and will have to make it through the buildings downtown to get to your dorm room. Otherwise, sounds like fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.