AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife and I are looking to move to the Philippines in about a years time and we are planning on taking our big 1080p 60 inch Sony.

What signal can i get with satellite? I am really just looking for English programming. Ideally American signal from dish or d*. I know that d* has a part of their user agreement stating you can't take hu cards out of the states and I would be PAYING for service after all.

What are my options. Since I recall tv sats for us programming being over the gulf of Mexico I guess a us signal is out right?

What about Japanese or korean signal to hd?

what about a European satellite?

Thanks!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
You'll have to check what's available when you get there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There's a fair amount of English language programming from the local cable providers: HBO, Discovery, National Geographic.

Why don't you learn Tagalog?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a little bit of Tagalog/taglish. The main thing is that I want high def programming there.

That I imagine will not be standard on sat providers like it is here stateside. Considering each countries economy and demand. Philippines has no real demand for hd ATM. So thus this thread.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas-steven /forum/post/12911021

I know a little bit of Tagalog/taglish. The main thing is that I want high def programming there.

That I imagine will not be standard on sat providers like it is here stateside. Considering each countries economy and demand. Philippines has no real demand for hd ATM. So thus this thread.

Two years ago, we used to be able to pick up Japanese high definition broadcasts via satellite for free using a Panasonic tuner and a 4 meter diameter satellite dish antennae. Today, this is no longer possible because Japan has encoded all its satellite broadcasts and one needs a set top box to be able to receive the signal. Unfortunately, subscriptions to this service is not available in the Philippines.

Dream satellite service only offers standard definition programs.

Hope this clarifies.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocski /forum/post/12912207

Two years ago, we used to be able to pick up Japanese high definition broadcasts via satellite for free using a Panasonic tuner and a 4 meter diameter satellite dish antennae. Today, this is no longer possible because Japan has encoded all its satellite broadcasts and one needs a set top box to be able to receive the signal. Unfortunately, subscriptions to this service is not available in the Philippines.

Dream satellite service only offers standard definition programs.

Hope this clarifies.

clarifies but doesnt make me very happy.

hard to believe that HD is simply NOT there.

are you in the philippines? do you have family there? my wife is going back to visit this coming may and needs to look into this for me.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas-steven /forum/post/12922938

There are lots of places in the world HD isn't available. You have South American countries just now picking their transmission, ATSC or some version of DVB. Just because we have it here in the US, don't mean everybody does. Hell, we have indoor plumbing and 40% of the world doesn't!

·
Registered
7,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas-steven /forum/post/12922938

clarifies but doesnt make me very happy.

are you in the philippines? do you have family there? my wife is going back to visit this coming may and needs to look into this for me.

Not hard to believe at all. The US, Japan, Korea and Aus went HD very early. Europe has only just started to move to HD in the last year or two - and many other countries haven't even started to move.

Where US channels / programmes in HD are broadcast in other territories, they are often in SD. (We get ABC and NBC evening news bulletins in the UK - but in SD only for example)

·
Registered
14,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 /forum/post/12927965

Where US channels / programmes in HD are broadcast in other territories, they are often in SD. (We get ABC and NBC evening news bulletins in the UK - but in SD only for example)

ABC World News Tonight is still SD. Only NBC Nightly News has gone HD so far. Both morning shows, NBC's Today and ABC's Good Morning America are HD.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Get vonage for a phone line and a PO Address that can have mail forwarded from. Then just bring your dish and receiver with you. Set it up and see if works. If it doesn't, cancel the PO Box and Vonage. (Use Vonage so you will have a phone number that will match your "local" address in the states.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Won't help - no US DBS birds cover the Phillipines.

If it was me - I'd put that 60" Sony in storage and get a TV locally when I got there.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadestrades /forum/post/12933633

Get vonage for a phone line and a PO Address that can have mail forwarded from. Then just bring your dish and receiver with you. Set it up and see if works. If it doesn't, cancel the PO Box and Vonage. (Use Vonage so you will have a phone number that will match your "local" address in the states.

US DBS satellites simply don't cover that region - taking a US receiver to get US DBS coverage just isn't an option - the satellites simply don't have footprints that cover the region carrying US DBS content - if indeed the satellite is visible at all. The beams are all pretty much optimised for North America.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Rumor has it that local cable provider "Sky Cable" (different from UK's Sky) will be rolling out HD services June 2008.

If you want HD satellite programing you may want to read up providers from Singapore and Hong Kong as they are close enough to the Philippines and you may be able to catch some spillover.

With the hassles of shipping and potential breakage it may be prudent not to bring your Sony over and just buy a TV here. Check out http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?board=71.0

·
Registered
1 Posts
even VietNam has more than 8 HDTV channel on testing.

there are no HDTV in the philippines yet. IMO. im living here for so long but they still using analog with very poor quality (noise and color are having several problems)

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
will you still be maintaning a US address. if so you could get something like a slingbox which would allow you to trasmit video from any STB in the US over the internet which you could then watch and control from any point in the world. this way you could keep all your current programing.

this would require a highspeed connection at both locations. but id guess they have high speed their by now..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I worked as an electronic repair technician back in the Philippines for a while and been an enthusiast for years. And it was on 1983 that I learned that Japan has HDTV but it was in analog, I bought one 25 inch Sharp Japanese standard. Although I was receiving local NTSC standard signal I was viewing better video and its in HDTV!(10005 Hor. resulution.)The scanning lines are far thinner than ordinary NTSC video. So I was enjoying high definition TV since then(till the unit broke, I have to buy another one and it's cheap).So why wait? you can still watch HD with used japanese TVs.It works good in VCD and better on DVDs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts